[Essay, Evolving] Fair is just a four letter word in Middle English OR Communicating in a frozen medium

[Essay, Evolving] Fair is just a four letter word in Middle English OR Communicating in a frozen medium

Evolving

Spoken language is alive, and evolving

Go to your local learning institution, with a physical/ electronic version of the Complete Oxford English Dictionary, and check the entry of is

It is a HUGE entry

But only two letters in Middle English

Local Slang

If you are communicating with your target audience, and all understand it the same, then you are using the written word helpfully

But if your target audience does not understand your written words then you are not communicating helpfully ( we miss you @TGW )

Local slang is a perfect example of each generation trying to communicate better

The target audience is their local friends, and their future friends

The target audience is not their parents, and is not previous generations

Standardization

Not until widespread printing were WRITTEN ( physical ) words spelled all the same way in accounts, letters, books and signs. Before each government, from towns to eventually countries, had its own spelling ( Death & Taxes the foundation of all bureaucracies )

Not until railroads ( and weather prediction? ) was timezones needed. Before each town clock defined Noon

Humans hate standardization

We only do it when we must

Card Games

Card games are an interesting example of balancing evolving rules, local differences and standardization ( see notes )

Live service games

Live service games

Fun ones, frustrating ones

Popular ones, unpopular ones

Profitable ones, bankrupt ones

All live service games have one thing in common, change

But forum are based on written language

On frozen spellings

But evolving meanings

Future users

One of the reasons I include so many notes is for FUTURE forum users

So they have context when the original user is gone

When the game changes, new users can more easily tell what stayed the same, and what changed ( looking at you costumes )

This is why I love Empires and Puzzles forum

It the institutional memory

Fair?

Fair?

Unfair?

The spelling is frozen, but except for positive emotional content ( fair ), or negative emotional content ( unfair ), the meaning behind each word changes with time, location and standards

Is Empires fair?

Is Empires unfair?

It will depend on each situation ( see notes )

Notes

Click for notes

Printing and Spelling

(How the Printing Press Froze English Spelling in Time | Dictionary.com)

Railroads ( and weather? )

(Standard time - Wikipedia)

Awesome Forum

(Happy Birthday 🎂 @littleKAF - #60 by Gryphonknight)

([Community Content, Essay] Is it really quitting if you keep coming back? or Stalker Ghosting Empires - #28 by Gryphonknight)

Card Games

Local differences

(https://www.amazon.com/Dealers-Choice-Complete-Handbook-2005-05-03/dp/B01FKTCEF4)

Standardization

(https://www.amazon.com/Hoyles-Official-Rules-Card-Games/dp/1877082457)

TGW

Fun

Situational

FIN

3 Likes

I would use ‘fair’. It sounds more natural to me.

Well, however it’s good to make a research on this. As I see answer above ‘fair’ or ‘unfair’ depends on context. It’s the same if I ask about writing service is edubirdie is legit as I have problems with writing tasks at high school I use this service. Of course, once this question came up and I just searched on the web and thanks to the article about it https://youressayreviews.com/is-edubirdie-legit/ I’m sure I can use the writing help without any single doubt. When you have a question or you search for some certainty then search on the internet a professional review or make it on your own.