šŸ§­ Eighth Path of Valor (Valour; PoV8) Log and Discussion ā€“ Starts Mar 15

Yeah thatā€™s the choice. I prioritize daily valor over all else and Iā€™ve hit 50 every time

Starting next time those who want to be more ā€œefficientā€ and donā€™t mind spending can get the elite valor pass and the 9000 point boost. (Assuming it carries over the same from PC)

Summon challenge is impossible for F2P.

Iā€™m f2p. I finished. Do facts change your mind?

3 Likes

Itā€™s possible to finish for f2p.

Unfortunately, you probably need to play the game more. Iā€™d say, fill at least two monsters chest and one raids chests daily, complete all the events that offer summons (Costume Chamber, challenge events, Tavern of Legends etc) plus raid tournaments, Mythic Titan, titan, titan chest, war, war chest. Lots of things can drop at least a silver summon token. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I havenā€™t spent a single cent in the last year (no, not the whole truth, I bought the share the gems offer :sweat_smile:) and I can assure you, summon challenge was never a problem.

how many pulls you get for free and how many coins you need
2 Likes

I am F2P too, and I could complete the summon challange easily.
And I have 250 spare tokens which I can use in the next POV.

2 Likes

Lots of best case scenarios but I get it.
If you live in the game, never miss anything and score high itā€™s not a great problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Of course itā€™s a best case scenario. Itā€™s just a list with every guaranteed free pull available during pov.
And about never missing anything, Iā€™m not sure, but if someone even donā€™t do all the events (where most of the time the loot is at least usable) why is this someone concerned about finishing pov?
You only get a Avatar which is pretty much useless and maybe nice to have but without any benefits. And if the goal is the 4* mats, there is even less need to do all the daily Quests and summons, you can get to 48 without doing the last daily Valor challenge and the last summon challenge.

So everyone who plays regular shouldnā€™t have a problem to finish POV.
And everyone who plays casual should be able to finish at least the important part of pov (48 the 4* mats)
You can miss 33 dailies, the last daily challenge and the last summon challenge and finish on 48.
Or you can miss 28 dailies, the last daily challenge and the last two summon challenges (thatā€™s 95 summons).
I canā€™t see how that is completely impossible even for players who canā€™t finish every quest.

This is probably (beside pov 6) the easiest we had so far. No * for the killing Titan challenge which made it doable even for small alliances, no win raids in diamond which is pretty much impossible for many smaller/newer players, no winning in tournament which is also extremely hard for players without great roosters and no need to finish monthly events which was extremely unfair because if you missed those 5 days out of 50 or wasnā€™t able to finish on all 3 difficulties, you already lost and had no chance to reach milestone 48.

2 Likes

We have had a pandemics managed on best case scenarios and still havenā€™t learnt?
You cannot calibrate anything on best case, at the very least because best cases are not available to everyone.

First thing that comes to mindā€¦ Life.

Letā€™s be clear. Iā€™ve finished the PoV.
Had to play the :poop:py wars which I really consider as pleasant as a colonoscopy (and I would choose the latter if the doctor is handsome) to do it, but I regularly do it.
The thing isā€¦ Isnā€™t it a frigging lot of effort to - in the end - only get a 4* material in TWO MONTHS?
Not to mention the fact that an effort that took you 45-48 days can be fizzled because you dropped your phone, your carrier has issues, your mom is in hospital.
I get it. You can.
But FFS will we - in this forum - ever stop considering staying several hours a day in front of a match-3 game a golden rule for anything healthy or advisable?
Breaking news! It-is-not.

No, itā€™s not regular.
Itā€™s hardcore.
Itā€™s a lot of have-tos.
Possibly doing well also.
And letā€™s be honest, PoV is structured to force you to connect.

Itā€™s not impossible, but itā€™s a lot of work.
You are thinking, like most people here who simply do everything in the game (and we wonā€™t inspect why) only of what you can miss, without considering what you have to do.
33 dailies are 11 days out of 50. That means that you did your job - I donā€™t know how else to call it - 39 days out of 50. Thatā€™s in line - and I mean above - with working days per month in EU. Unless you work the short week in which case itā€™s way above the line.

While this is true itā€™s still far from not being an enormous schedule demand.

Sometimes, reading this forum, I really wonder if Iā€™m the only one who has to pull all nighters at work, assist parents, hold the head of a friend going thru a breakupā€¦

I donā€™t know how many people are inside an alliance, and how many go solo. If I take the people I get in pvp battles or tournaments it seems most of them are in alliances, so there is not really more to do, than they do normally.
For someone hating wars I can recommend looking for a dead alliance, coming online sometimes in the second half of the war, choose 6 random teams attack and flee. You need around 1-2 minutes of online time each war to finish this challenge if you really hate wars and still want the points for pov.

I mean there are for sure people who are online for several hours each day, but that has nothing to do with pov.
I normally come online in the morning, for around half an hour, when Iā€™m sitting in the train on my way to university, and most of the time also in the evening when I go home.

(Now with corona and home office Iā€™m probably longer online than before, but definitely not because I have to do anything for pov.)

That is more than enough, to fill the chests, and do the easy daily pov challenges, I mean collecting some iron from the forges doesnā€™t take long. All the daily challenges that would force me to do something I wouldnā€™t normally do and take more than a few seconds, I skip.

Iā€™m pretty sure, thatā€™s the only reason why pov exists.

But people who arenā€™t online daily, donā€™t have to think about it, because they wonā€™t finish it anyway. Those online daily donā€™t have to stay online any longer just to finish POV, if they donā€™t want to.

I mean I donā€™t do anything I wouldnā€™t do without pov that takes longer than a few seconds (the only difference I collect coins instead using them instant)
I most of the time donā€™t think about pov at all, when I finish it great, when I donā€™t finish it I donā€™t really care. I have reached milestone 50 maybe half the time, but havenā€™t missed the 4* mats till now just with normal gameplay.

In my alliance we have basically decided that wars are incidents we need to tolerate.
Nobody is asked to fight them, nobody is asked to win them, there is no strategy whatsoever.
The amicability of the people and this resolution about wars is the reason we stay in the alliance.

But there are drawbacks. We have lost quite a few players who felt better trying to win wars - which is completely legit - but resulted in a 3* titan drop nonetheless.
Now, that hurts, because titan loot is not normalized on alliance strength.

I wonā€™t quote the next paragraph butā€¦
Letā€™s summarize it in: you need an hour playing time everyday.
That has nothing to do with PoV butā€¦
6 titan flag. Thatā€™s 9 minutes.
A quest or something that actually requires you to play instead of auto. Iā€™d say at the very least 5 minutes (14).
Raiding. 2 chests a day, 12 raids minimum, Iā€™m assuming thatā€™s at the very least 6 minutes of battle plus 2 skipping thru adversaries and selecting a team (22).
Two mystic visions. 1 minute (23).
Clearing the base and organising productionā€¦ Iā€™d say 1 minute cause Iā€™m generous but seriously, 4 years into the game and I still canā€™t ENTER ā€œ900ā€ and have to scroll thru it like Iā€™m programming an alarm clock from the '80s? (24)
Monster chest. I know you can auto-play this especially in 8-7 like Iā€™ve done but I timed it. From 0/100 to opening the chest it has taken 8ā€™50". Iā€™m asking the clemency of the court here and call it 9 minutes. Thatā€™s 18 minutes for two chests (42).
Progress thru seasons: 1 hard and 1 easy stage a day. I timed two hard stages at 5ā€™57" so Iā€™d say 3 minutes per hard stage and, Iā€™m guessing here, 1ā€™30" per normal stage. Letā€™s say 4 minutes for both (46).
Today Iā€™ve produced 110 feeders. Itā€™s not a great number as today my gaming time was not very efficient (you know, saturday, may the 1st) and honestly I donā€™t know how that fares in terms of average but I will time how much it takes to reclaim them and feed them away. So, I also ā€œwonā€ 15 thru farming which I didnā€™t notice. All in all it took me 6 minutes to feed 125 away. I did it as fast as I could. I donā€™t have a lot of excess roster (22), Iā€™m not young and I have a condition that implies brain-hand coordination issues but Iā€™m still in the 1% of players so I assume Iā€™m at least average and take those 6 minutes as sound (52).
That is, in my opinion, a very conservative esteem of the time you need online if you donā€™t regularly resort to loot tickets or an overpowered roster (which many here have, but we canā€™t assume as a working hypothesis).
Iā€™ve left out of this wars, events which are not just any dayā€™s quest, ninja towers, mythic titans (just that is 1 minute more per day), a small in-game chat.

I have serious problems believing 1 hour a day is the expected playing time for E&P.
Itā€™s not all about PoV, of course, but when you are sent to Atlantis or Valhalla for no reason or you have to sit there for a flying duck it adds to that time.

And I have to tell you.
I have a difficult time finding that daily hour and I guess (actually I know) Iā€™m not the only one.
When this game started it was a lot less time demanding.

And TBH I believe that many donā€™t really know how much time they spend on the game. Not out of bad faith, but because games are designed (or at least leverage) to make you lose time perception.
Truth be told thatā€™s a common issue in front of any electronic device which is why in my firm we have timed reminder to take breaks.

I donā€™t doubt that.
Butā€¦ I simply canā€™t consider that to be the average situation.
I donā€™t routinely farm 3 underwater stages in Atlantis just on the right day.
I have to change my gaming habits in order to finish PoV or even get to the 4* material.
Truth be told, if you are a good daily player in a fairly competitive alliance you can laugh at the 4* material for milestone 48.
For some of us, thou, itā€™s an important contribution to loots that are generally meager.

I have nothing against you but Iā€™ve had this type of discussions in a lot of other games/environments: who is high in the food chain doesnā€™t really know the problems - if not the plain struggles - of those who are not.
You said it yourself: you just play and you finish it.

1 Like

So, whatā€™s the solution? Are you asking for PoV to be so easy that anyone can complete it in half an hour a day? That seems a little pointless really, itā€™s supposed to be something you work towards. OK, and pay as well, but itā€™s not a shop, itā€™s a path ofā€¦ um, well, doing stuff.

You have to be kidding me, 470 pts left for me with one day to go to get lvl 48?? Iā€™ll probably burn the 19 tokens required for summons just for the darts and Tonic.

So, youā€™re triple counting here. When I fill the monster chest, itā€™s by doing either event quests, or season progress. Then when I get around 20 WE left, Iā€™ll look to see how much monsters I have left and top up with 7-4 (most monsters per level). Most events I can autofarm, although challenges Iā€™ll do manually because of the time ranking. I rarely only farm 7-4 just to fill up the chest unless there are no events, or Iā€™m pressed for time, in which case I may even use loot tickets. So that separate monster chest calculation you have is really a few minutes on top of either events, or map progression.

Of course, the option is there NOT to do the events/PoV requirements, but then you would have to accept that youā€™re choosing not to. Iā€™d say that at least 90% of the PoV is either trivial (manufacture battle items), or things that a somewhat regular player would do anyway. Even when told to farm specific maps, thatā€™s something I take as part as filling my monster chest.

1 Like

Why not?
If anyone playing regularly finishes it with no effort itā€™s not about Valor anyway.
Half an hour every day is already a remarkable demand for a game.

Iā€™d say that is a total quality management approach and itā€™s easily feasible for people who have freedom in time management.
If you play when you can rather than when itā€™s best you will often end up farming monsters when you can or, even worse, have to decide whether to farm or to go for quests.
You can certainly go for multiple tasks in certain situations but thatā€™s not a given.

Truth be told we could settle this by simply timing how much you play.
Timing honestly, using Digital wellbeing & parental control.
In the last month I went under the hour only on April, 24th, a saturday I spent with my parents.
Truth be told I want expecting to have been on E&P that much.
I only hope - hope - that a good chunk of it was auto-play.

So 2 issues:

1. Timing: During work days, I would start the day before work filling the monster chest by autoplaying the events and topping off with 7-4. I would also get the first set of raid flags done, either to complete the chest or get started (may have raid tournament flags as well). Lunch break, may burn off some WE flags if needed, or raid flags. Evening, the monster chest should reset and do the same to fill it up. Obviously the timing may not always work out, but thatā€™s why Iā€™ll spend the gems to advance the timer.
  2. Amount of time: On a regular basis, the biggest time waster are raids. They can take a while to do. Otherwise, most of the other things like base maintenance and hero/troop leveling are somewhat trivial.

Is 1 hour a day too much to ask? For some, maybe, but like I said, the 18 mins for the monster chests is a little much since normally you can do the other quests or maps to fill it up.

Do I spend more time than that on the game? Probably, but most of the reason is that I need a bit of diversion, and take a look, but itā€™s generally as non-productive as looking through this forum.

A fixed schedule will certainly help in time management.
I started playing this while commuting (read state/continent commuting) so it wasnā€™t much of an issue. I played when I could and that made it ok.

But now time demand is relevant.
There are a lot of things to do for what is basically a match-3.
Reviewing my time on the game got me thinking.
And I mean, really thinking.

Arenā€™t there better things I could do with my 90 minutes/day?
TBH I donā€™t feel very good about it: itā€™s a lot of my ā€œspareā€ time.
I could campaign in D&D, quest in a MUD, raid in a MMORPG. There would be lots of chances if only I could think I had those 90 minutes available continuously.

As Iā€™ve saidā€¦ I hope that a good chunk of my time on the game is auto. I really do.
Because with the recent changes due to the pandemic I donā€™t travel as much and rather than lacking time to sink, Iā€™m just lacking time in my days.
I understand itā€™s a personal issue, but when you start to have to choose between a show, a movie, a drink with a friend - and possibly what comes next - and the gameā€¦ My 34677834th iteration of raiding, training, or whatsoever else will lose.
I should thank this thread for opening my eyes on the amount of time. I thought I had it under control, but it was partially true: although Iā€™m not playing for hours straight all the chunks still amount to way too much, especially for a match-3.

Why I play games like this is because you can play them in little bite sizes in between other stuff. An MMORPG pretty much takes over your life (long story, but I owe my divorce to WoW, for which Iā€™m eternally grateful). In the old days raids would take hours; in fact the big raid dungeons like Molten Core were open for a week with the option to extend if you hadnā€™t finished, and you had to be there or youā€™d be letting 39 players down. A single fight could take half an hour if it ran smoothly, two nights if it was a tough one and somebody kept lousing up until everyone was tired and grouchy. Hell, getting through the trash mobs before each boss could take that long. Thatā€™s what I could be doing in my spare time, in between farming like crazy for the mats for the battle items youā€™d use hundreds ofā€¦ in other words the same thing, but much longer and more immersive. I just donā€™t have the headspace or the concentration these days.

With E&P, the two similar games and a host of little mindless ones like Sudoku and bubble bursters, Iā€™ve always got something to do in an idle moment but the important thing is that it is fitting round real life: work, outings, housekeeping (if I didnā€™t play games Iā€™d have to find another excuse for avoiding the latter)ā€¦ itā€™s well suited to picking up while youā€™re waiting in the queue at the supermarket or your friend needs another 10 minutes before theyā€™re ready to join you. Before I got a smartphone I always had a book or a puzzle magazine to hand for such times. Nowadays, along with the phone, camera, diary etc, itā€™s all on one device. But itā€™s still the same time sink it always was, just a different shape.

This is also why Iā€™m in an alliance thatā€™s so casual itā€™s almost asleep. Weā€™re humbly grateful if everyone actually manages to use all their war flags, rather than prescribing when members must be online and who theyā€™re allowed to hit (it wouldnā€™t work anyway as weā€™re in various time zones). We even win sometimes. As for prescribing team colours, ahahahaha, good luck with that!

And thatā€™s the point of the game. Itā€™s a bit of a time waster that you can pick up and drop when convenient. Altogether it adds up, but you donā€™t necessarily need to sit down to do it all at once, unless you are filling chests. Even the challenge events can be spread out throughout the days, thereā€™s no need to rush through them to get them done in one day.

Of course it depends on how much WE you have and roster as the higher your WE bank, the fewer times you need to play so that you donā€™t ā€œwasteā€ it.

1 Like

Yup, the ā€œelasticityā€ of mobile games is pretty much exactly the reason I started playing them.
Stillā€¦ 90 minutes :scream: I just didnā€™t expect that.
Gave me something to think about.

Things like: ā€œYo Yhc, by the end of the year you could have worked 80 extra daysā€ :face_with_raised_eyebrow: