šŸ§Ŗ Early information on the November 2021 HOTM -- Balbar

In what sense?

If you mean different elements, itā€™s the same result.

It would definitely be something new have a ailment disappear mid cascade. Agree, would be nice to get this confirmed if all tiles in the cascade get boost or just the first one

Thatā€™s a bummer. Maybe that should be part of the beta feedback - that Balbar should work as @Vino describes. That gives the hero a unique kind of niche against titans and also makes them slightly more usable in other contexts. This sleep mechanic is interesting, but it would be more interesting that way.

OTOH, I guess it could be considered broken if multiple specials were fired on the same turn, and sleep boosted them all by 50%, but honestly, how many heroes are going to survive more than one or two specials with that kind of boost anyway? I donā€™t see it as creating horrible imbalance.

1 Like

If the Sleep skill activated for a minimum of 2 or 3 turns regardless of damage taken, I think this would be a much more valuable heroā€¦

2 Likes

iā€™d be happy to pull this hero. why are we so concerned about the ā€œsleeping target is woken once it takes damageā€? he obviously sounds like heā€™s not a good fit with minion heroes, and tiles? bad cascades are such homewreckers, but theyā€™re not a problem exclusive to Balbar.

i personally like the suggestions of pairing him with a sniper. itā€™s like elemental defense down without it being elemental defense down. i also think the wing targeting option is a viable; it does require looking at the board and seeing what available moves and potential setups for further matches two to three turns later might look like, but shouldnā€™t we all be doing that anyway? :wink:

what i canā€™t wait to see is putting a Ninja to sleep and watching a tile go into it, except it doesnā€™t because the Ninja dodged because of the family bonus. but because it dodged, it didnā€™t take damage, so it stays asleep and still canā€™t attack or gain mana. :grin:

1 Like

Early artwork.

4 Likes

Jiggly puff !!! Jigallly

Iā€™m so glad they brought a sleep dubuff into empires and puzzles.

Thereā€™s no law that says you have to give him emblems, is there? That would avoid the druid minion problem. If heā€™s too squishy without emblems one could always limit break him for survivability - thereā€™s no law that says you have to LB and emblem the same hero either. Maybe thatā€™s the cunning plan, rather than that devs hadnā€™t thought through the implications of his class. Or maybe it isnā€™t :wink:

Beta Update:

• Damage from Minions and Fiends can no longer wake sleeping enemies
  • Increased damage dealt to sleeping enemies changed from +50% to +60%

The OP is updated.

5 Likes

This update makes him very interesting!

1 Like

Yes, now he is better.

Do off-color tiles that do 1 damage wake the target?

If so, then Balbar wonā€™t really be useful to shut down a tank. Heā€™s more like a single target defense down hero where youā€™ll often have to immediately fire your sniper or other damage dealer right after him. In fact, even if you target a flank, youā€™ll probably want to immediately fire your sniper on that target just incase your next move comboā€™s and hits the target.

3 Likes

He also has poor synergy with DOT allies, as the dot will just wake the enemy up

Question: if the target that is put to sleep by Balbar is a rouge, or is affected by a dodging buff for example cKadilenā€™s buff or Magaretā€™s buff or Hanitraā€™s (the upcoming HotM) buff, then does the target still have a chance to evade or dodge while being asleep? If the target is still be able to evade or dodge while being asleep, isnā€™t that a contradiction: how can you evade or dodge a hit while being asleep? Seriously, evading or dodging in their sleep!? It just sounds not right and very contradictory by nature. There should be a consideration of making the asleep target unable to evade or dodge.

1 Like

he dodges in sleep. endo of story :smiley:

When you sleep you donā€™t dodge. You canā€™t dodge when you sleep. Thereā€™s no such thing as dodging while sleeping. The next time that you are going to sleep, ask somebody to get a cake and hit it in your face in the middle of your sleep, and see if you have a +45% chance of dodging it (the cake). Ok, Iā€™m just joking about the cake.

1 Like

Zocc 2.0
I lack greens but I dont want another ā€œnewā€ mechanic niche hero. Green HOTM are being too weird lately. Got Elradir and was happy about him but ahā€¦ Didnā€™t used him much.

1 Like

tell that to Pokemon where attacks can still miss despite enemy Pokemon being asleep or frozen!

donā€™t ever underestimate what games are capable of saying ā€œoh yes, thatā€™s intendedā€

in Pokemon, if your attack misses, the game doesnā€™t specify whether it was missed because your hit had low accuracy (like blindness) or the attacked pokemon dodged the hit, so you canā€™t tell which case actually happened.
Still, evade/dodge will happen more likely because the asleep hero is a rogue or is affected by a dodging buff of cKadilen or Margaret or Hanitra (the upcoming HotM)-case 1, and less likely because the hero is a ninja-case 2. Therefore, an asleep hero evading/dodging a special skill (case 1) will cause you more trouble than an asleep ninja (case 2) dodging a tile match, not to mention an asleep ninja can still dodge a special skill, causing you even more trouble.
and a ninja only has 5%/10% (with 2/3 members) chance to dodge a tile or special skill, much less than the chance of a rouge evading (20%) and the chance of dodging by a buff (45% in case of cKadilen or Hanitra or 30-90% in case of Margaret). So the fact that an asleep ninja can dodge matched tiles doesnā€™t matter as much.