šŸ§Ŗ Early information on the January 2021 Bertila HOTM

NOTE: Please do not, under any circumstances, share IMAGES OR VIDEOS from Beta in this or any public Forum thread. Violations can cause players to lose their Beta accounts, or threads to be closed down.

This thread is to provide early insights and discussion on the January 2021 HOTM, Bertila.

All Information from Beta is Subject to Change!

Donā€™t get attached

Details from beta, especially brand-new beta content, donā€™t tend to be very reliable for actual hero release.

Itā€™s incredibly common that heroes are changed during beta testing, or sometimes even after testing but before release. That is, after all, the purpose of beta testing.

So I wouldnā€™t get too attached to any of this ā€” itā€™s not unheard of for entire portions of skills to be removed or reworked, or for radical changes to stats to be made.

Bertila Beta Info & Stats (Extremely Likely to Change)

Attack: 718
Defense: 774
HP: 1367
Power: 784

Element: Nature :leaves: (Green)

Class: Fighter

Innate Resistance: Resist Blind. ( Blindness)
This hero has an innate ability to resist ailments that affect Accuracy. This does not apply to status effects from allies.

Innate Ability: Mana from Dead Minion
This hero gains a small amount of mana when a minion owned by them is destroyed

Mana Speed: Slow

Special Skill: En Garde

• Deals 290% damage to all enemies.
  • Lifts all cleansable status ailments that affect attack or defence from all allies and randomly distributes them on enemies.
  • Element Link summons a Nature Minion for all Nature allies with 5% HP and 10% attack inherited from the caster.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

Or: How many summons are needed to get a HOTM?

Special thanks to @Garanwyn for assistance on summoning odds and proofreading for this section.

Itā€™s important to remember that HOTM have very low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a HOTM.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 12.3% chance of summoning the HOTM.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 73 times out of 100, youā€™ll get a HOTM by pull 100
  • 95 times out of 100, youā€™ll get a HOTM by pull 229
  • 99 times out of 100, youā€™ll get a HOTM by pull 352

Putting that in Perspective

• 27 out of every 100 people wonā€™t get the HOTM by the 100th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 100 times, 270,000 of those players wouldnā€™t get the HOTM

• 5 out of every 100 people wonā€™t get the HOTM by the 229th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 229 times, 50,000 of those players wouldnā€™t get the HOTM

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these two threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If youā€™ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

For a full list of items currently in beta testing, as well as their related threads, please see the master beta-beat thread:

14 Likes

That blind resist looks awesome :heart_eyes:

So she have innate resistance and ability? What? Why 2? :thinking:

And what about this throw aliments that mean any attack and def status? Like def up and attack boost also? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Yes there are TWO (2) Passive abilities for this new HotM (and the Feb one too).

This appears to be the start of the 4th generation of HotM which have both a passive resistance AND a passive abilityā€¦

9 Likes

Ailments only. So negative attack (like from Scarlett) and negative defence (like from Grimm) status effects.

1 Like

Im not sure with this one. In some aspects remains me to a more powerful Horghall. But this hero has a better ability. A pseudo cleanse that bounce back attack and defense down aliments plus the posibility of tweak/boost his mana generation by his minion dead?

Id love to know how much this % is and if its enough to drop this hero to average

Itā€™s like Misandra mana gain per bounce.

Each minion killed that Berty owns gives a small amount of mana. As in partially fills her mana bar.

1 Like

She will be more tempting if has average mana.

3 Likes

Interesting passives. But the skill name should be changed if thereā€™s no riposte involved.

Other than that, just less than thrilled about a slow hero with what seems to be a meh skill.

290% attack all special is good with a solid attack stat. The secondary skill is useful depending on who you are facing I think not quite as useful as a Def / attack down on its own.

In that sense, seems similar to isarnia but bulkier and trades a Def down for a higher attack percentage and a ā€˜redistribute atk/Def ailmentsā€™. It will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Initial thoughts are that it could be decent hero in some teams but wonā€™t be desired overall due to the speed and that for being slow, the special isnā€™t gamechanging other than a decent hit to all. I expect a few changes along the way

4 Likes

Not really impressiveā€¦

Should I summon at Santaā€™s Challenge in December (Reuben) or January (Bertila)? Both seems uninterestingā€¦

5 Likes

I see thatā€™s like lady loki, but the dot donā€™t be cleaned, I guess that would be a good hero against Frida and Richardā€¦ But the dot is important and you need a de buffer too

2 Likes

Itā€™s really which color you need more IMO. Iā€™m currently feeding reds to other colors, so I guess itā€™s Reuben for me.

2 Likes

This was the first comparison I made too. Slow damage all heroes arenā€™t super exciting to me. Often Iā€™m more worried about taking out one enemy so I can ghost tiles rather than damaging all.

Sheā€™s also essentially a slow partial cleanser, but again this is not what Iā€™m looking for from my slow heroes.

The innate resistance and innate ability might give her a big enough boost. Resist blind is great, but would be much better suited for a Dark/Purple hero.
Mana from dead minion will help her recharge. Iā€™d probably pair her with Freya (or Bera if I had Bera) so I can summon minions as quickly as possible. Sheā€™d be decent if you put her on an attack team with Telly, but I donā€™t have Telly :(.

The weird part is since she summons a minion via elemental link thatā€™s relatively weak it will help her get mana from dead minions. However, Iā€™d want to pair her with other minion makers to both protect her and increase her mana gain, but if I do that, it might be minion overload and the 3 minion cap might hurt me. I guess if thatā€™s the case, Iā€™m probably winning the battle anyways?

If I have 3 minions on a hero and summon another, does that count as destroying a minion? Iā€™m assuming not. But if so, Iā€™d just go for a minion overload strategy so ā€œdestroyā€ my own heroes.

1 Like

This is a specialty hero for very fast tournaments. Iā€™d summon in December until getting Reuben anyway, considering this green. Hope for Mother North.

1 Like

The thing is . On defense i dont see this hero being so useful. And , for offense i see lots of greens being more useful than her at slow speed. Though if we are going to use this hero the better place should be in offense, like a green Isarnia or Quintus. A slow but big AOE.
Not super impressive, but could be placeholder in some situations. Another extra value in offense if you attack with 3 or more greens are the minions. Not strong enough but better than nothing.

I see this hero overlapping my Francineā€™s cleanse. Even with Costume caedmon because you have to time it to not cleanse before bouncing back the aliments(hard to achieve because the green cleansers are fast speed and this is slow) you may want to trigger the cleanses to not die by dot damage

1 Like

Bertilla will be amazing for VF tournaments and war. Sheā€™s also solid and when she fires, some damage will be done. Specially combed with -DEF heroes. Not sure what Reuben can do good, in counterparts.

Bert sounds like a good hero to have and use here and there, a slow damage to all remembers us Quintus and Horg, 2 of the worst heroes but that secondary skill of her sounds interesting.

Not sure if weā€™ll be able to actually benefit from that skill all the time but itā€™s already better than some last HOTM. Having 2 abilities at least already makes her better overall.

She also looks insanely beautiful. I want her avatar.

4 Likes

I donā€™t see her on defense either. If youā€™re not top tier I can see some people trying a minion overload lineup with Bertila on the wing hoping the destroyed minions give her enough mana to fire and flip the battle. The problem is anyone with a lineup that could do that could also field a more META lineup.

I also see a lot of greens being more useful. Spitballing on an ideal green team:
Iā€™d generally rather have Evelyn or Almur for the elemental defense down at fast speed. Evelyn with elemental link would also help heal the team.
Iā€™d want Frigg for regular defense down.
If I wanted Fast snipers Iā€™d add Kingston or Lianna.
If I wanted a healer I could go with Telly, Heimdall, Mother North, or Alby.
Iā€™d probably also put Francine in there for the cleanse.
If I have access to the good heroes about Bertila wonā€™t crack the ideal green team. I have an unleveled Lianna and Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d level Bertila over Lianna if I got her.

2 Likes

Dunno, I think I like Ruban more but I have surplus tonics and Gefjon got my rings (and cMarjana would take priority if I got her). Hope this hero gets a bump somewhereā€¦ so hard to overcome the slow tag and Iā€™m not sure she does it.

1 Like

Slow hereo. No thanks.

1 Like