đŸ§Ș Early Information on the February 2020 HOTM (Jean-François)

I think if you reversed it, it would be quite unique as well, like you are on fire and its dying out, while maintaining the impact value and allowing average healers heal a decent chunk of health while possibly cleansing like Ariel.

Anyway let us see how it will roll. If he stays as he is then he is a must have hero for offensive raids.

And you are right about Finley, he seems aimed at mitigating his impact on defense.

The fire starting strong is a cool concept, I suggested it a while ago but I weren’t thinking about such massive DoT damage.

1 Like

Jabberwock just came to my mind. I didnt gave that one too much thought honestly.
Lady for me is one of the best cards available. Different players have different playstyles and therefore like different cards.

1 Like

The thing to keep in mind is that Santa’s skill lowers defense by a considerable amount. Because special skills are used first, and then slash attacks, and then Santa’s minions attack on top of that, that lets Santa’s team deal a considerable amount of damage just on the turn he fires. That can often result in the near-death of a cleanser that just isn’t quite ready to fire, and sometimes in immediate death of a cleanser.

Consider too that when Gravemaker fires, he deals around 200 points of damage immediately, and then ~200 more (give or take with emblems) follows with GM’s burn for each turn. That can often kill your cleanser on the next turn with his ally’s slash attacks.

But I can’t say the same for Jean, as his skill does not deal damage right away, nor does he help his teammates deal more damage on the turn he fires like the above two. Don’t get me wrong, the DoT hurts a ton if you just try to ignore it, but he is still giving you some time to at least get your cleanser ready – even with okay boards, I do well against him.

Even if the cleanser isn’t charged right away, 1 turn of burn damage isn’t bad to take, 2 turns is not ideal but manageable; it’s after that where you die. But the same can be said against Gravemaker (I’d say even less turns against him) or Santa, should you not patch up your team after they fire.

For the record

I’m not saying Jean’s okay as he is right now either. Everything you say about his offensive strengths, is absolutely valid. That’s the area where I feel he’s better at – he’s far too good in my opinion.

Fast burn to all enemies is still very powerful, but I just think it’s more so for offense where that hurts the metagame. I did also say this:

I do still agree that his DoT needs to be lowered or the duration extended
 as long as it’s not lowered too much though, as that could really ruin this hero and make him a joke for defense.

I’ll quote some of my feedback from Beta too:

my gut feeling is currently that he’s too good for offense. His skill is darn close to an “I win” button there, where I can easily manipulate the AI into not using their cleanser or using them prematurely.

For the next 4 turns the enemy is close to death, enough that my Red Hood+6 was able to finish the job (one of the weakest hit-all heroes in the game). Jean gave me a massive advantage when raiding and when his skill went off
 and mind you, I don’t have mana troops, just red crit troops, at level 10 and 4.

that’s a sign that he needs to be toned down. His burn damage at the very least needs a reduction to the 500 range (still good for defense, and balanced for offense) or an extension to his burn duration.

5 Likes

Righty ho. Fixed it in my post.

I tend to agree. I got Vivica in my first 30x collection from my 3 TC20 but I still don’t have the last darts to finish her. I gave the first 6 to Joon. She is at 3.70 waiting for Shiloh. Luckily I did get Melendor as my first 4* and Kiril was my second. Neither cleanses though. I used them for a very long time. I ran TC20 x 3 round the clock. I got Sabina a few times and some more Mel and Kiril dupes after a while. But After 16 months I only got Rigard about 2 months ago. I immediately took him to +20 with emblems. I also got Sonya and Caedmon at the same time and while they debuff, her costume will be great.
I said something like your statement yesterday. SG is creating these heroes with the idea that the whole group is available. While that is great in principle, in practice there are a small few that have all or nearly all of the heroes. Most have a few if any 5* and many don’t have mats based on what I see in my alt account that fights in gold and platinum. I have all the S1 4* now and most are maxed except a few like Colen, Skittles, Cyp/Boril and Kashrek(just got him to complete the 4* set). But I don’t think I am the norm.

This is one time that the forum seems to be in unison or close to it about nerfing him. And we all know how much we hate nerfs so if people are asking for it I think it deserves to be listened to. we begged to have Aegir fixed and that worked. And with the people all saying he is OP and some of them are players that probably have more heroes than most so if players of that caliber are saying to nerf him then he likely needs it. LISTEN UP SG!!!.
Oh, and either way I would LOVE to get him so SG fix my account so I get him. My birthday is in March but this hero look better than March so can I have an early present

:gift: :rofl: LettuceMayoAndOnions

2 Likes

@DaveCozy sums up what I would think about JF. I don’t see the issue on defence. There he will be decent but manageable. It is his offensive power that worries me. If you don’t take any actions to deal with his burning then he can single handedly destroy a team. Any half decent player can easily work around a dispeller. I see a hero that can be brought to any fight and be a one man army.

I don’t think that GM should be the pinaccle of E&P heroes for the rest of eternity but I would prefer to see the power creep be more varied and more spread out across the different elements. How sad would it be that the hero that displaces GM as the best hero in the game is just a GM 2.0. Give me something different.

I also feel like the skill should be rethought to weaken it at lower hero strength. 600 Damage is allready a talking point at diamond tier. What happens when you have 600 damage at 2/60 in lower tiers and are facing 3* heroes?

Consider something like deals 400% fire damage over 4 turns. Why does DoT always have to be a fixed amount? Why can’t it be influenced by defence and attack stats if it is going to be fast and these kinds of amounts. This will not impact his defensive uses that much because on offence heroes are usually more offense oriented but will weaken him on offence where heroes more often gain defensive buffs and have higher defence stats. Remove the fixed number and replace it with a percentage that is calculated when the attack happens and is spread out over 4 turns. This will give defences a fighting chance.

3 Likes

will definetely got nerfed
 too strong with this current ability. heck its just like a bulk up GM, and GM is already the best hero now

3 Likes

I was really hopin for a red sniper in 2020.

Sg
kings of crushing dreams

5 Likes

SG 
 We gave you marjana to start, our generosity ends there.

1 Like

Keep in mind too that the DoT advertised in the card descriptions are only for max levels too. So at 2.60 Jean’s DoT isn’t 600, it’s much lower than that.

@littleKAF wrote a great guide on DoT explaining this: Understanding DoT (Damage over Time)

5 Likes

And that is why I lov ethese forums. learning something new every day

4 Likes

this hero should be named “Gravemaker 2.0 overpowered”

2 Likes

IMG_20191108_153827

7 Likes

Jean will change the Meta drastically. But IMO not only because of its very good DoT!
What is scarry, is his DEF UP INSTEAD DEF DOWN. It also applies for colour def down.

5 of my 6 war attack teams are based on colour def down. I have 2 Fridas, 2 Evelyns and 2 Jackals.
If Jean’s special goes on, Frida, Evelyn, Jackal, Falcon, Will, Isarnia, Panther, Arthur are useless.
I invested money in getting these guys. And now SG says: “In top alliance wars your heroes are going to be useless.”

Not sure if I like such a change of meta.

3 Likes

Frida, Evelyn and Panther will also dispel the defense up that triggers from Jean’s buff, along with his other two buffs.

Although you don’t end up with the elemental defense down, Jean and allies will end up without a defense buff too.

There is an element of balance to the design of this defense flip buff.

What needs balancing (IMO) is the humongous DoT, and it’s really only a small adjustment so it’s still strong but not overpowering for offense.

5 Likes

Just like Neith, SG will probably going to nerf JF after a few request from beta testers
 to the extent that those lucky enough to try 'em in beta making noise again about too much nerfing and to leave it to the gamers community to convince SG to come out with better patch for JF, just like Aegir
jk.

You’ll just have to reinvent yourself creating a new war strategy. It’s a risky you’re taking only relying on defense debuffers heroes.

2 Likes

You are probably right. I thought Neith was OP and wanted her to be nerfed, but I was wrong. Got her and she is really underwhelming
 hope Jean- François doesn’t suffer the same fate

3 Likes