🧪 Early Information on the February 2020 HOTM (Jean-François)

We (you?) can certainly make some polls, but I have some reservations about the premise of that dispensing with arguments:

1. I don’t see a poll as an alternative to discussion; effective voting requires informed and thought out decisions

2. The game designers likely won’t listen to it any more than Beta feedback, and as I’ve noted before, JF hasn’t been adjusted at all so far

3. Who votes and how is a little arbitrary from my perspective; it likely wouldn’t be a representative sample of the whole player population

4. I think there’s still some debate about the premise of polling on the Forum as a way to make game design decisions after the 1* Raid Tournament polls, so I’m a little reserved about reopening a fresh wound

5. Beta applications just reopened, and I think we somewhat desperately need more healthy debate about game design, not less (see Season 3 beta testing: summary of a decline)

That all said, I think polls are fun and useful, and sometimes elicit responses from people who aren’t speaking up in discussion.

So as long as it’s not presented as an alternative to discussion, i.e. dispensing with arguments and having the poll as the last word, I think some polls could be very interesting.

8 Likes