đŸ§Ș Early Information on Costumes (Formerly Skins) [Part of The Beta Beat v23, v24 & v25]

The lvlup part is a bummer. Spending 4* ascending items. At least they have To let use use the 2 forms in war break even.

It’s hard to say what the next version will be like, since the initial Beta was a very early version of Costumes, but on the plus side, 4* mats weren’t meant to be required in the initial Beta.

3 Likes

Sorry guys maybe I missed the point in all the replies (>500), but let‘s check how F2P friendly these costumes could be and if they are worth to pay for it:

How easy you get a costumed hero:

1. You have a 1,5% chance to summon a 5* TC20 from the summon gate. Let‘s say you get them in the same rate in TC20 for easier calculating.
  2. To get a specific hero like Isarnia drops the rate to 0,075%
  3. If the summon rate for a 5* costume is also about 1,5% and there will be also 20 different costumes, the chance to get a specific one is also 0,075%
  4. So to get a specific hero AND his costume is 0,075% x 0,075% = 0,005625 %
    Every HOTM is easier to get and you have to use only the hero summon gate (no extra costume summon). And on top if you get the costumes of heroes you don‘t have or you don’t need, the extra effort is worthless.

Argument hero Slot:
You can‘t use the regular version AND the costumed version in the same team, if you don‘t level two different basic heroes (1 regular, 1 costumed). So you have to level the costume of another basic hero to make sure you‘ll always have the choice when needed (maybe regular AND costumed Lianna for double green sniper).
So still 2 hero slots needed to be safe in using all 5* in one team.

Costs of leveling costumes:
If the costumes have to be leveled, no matter how expensive, you‘ll need more effort to get AND to level a still just half usable electro Quintus than for any HOTM. Why should you do that?
Espacially these guys are screwed, who haven‘t been lucky with HOTMs since, already had to use their materials to level a basic Quintus to 4/80 and now they have to restart on 1/1 for a tiny upgraded one.

So in total I don‘t get the benefits from these costumes.
They don‘t revive the TC20, because you wont get them as easy and you have to extra level them. Maybe you wont get the matching costumes ever, so still no use for these TC20 on your bench.
They boost the TC20 not to a real special level, some of them are instead gettin worse (healing over time).
So in this case of „upgrading“ my TC20, I really prefer a totally new hero to a costumed one.
Or do I missed any benefit?

4 Likes

I think you’re pretty spot-on in your analysis. Going through double effort to make a bad/old/less powerful hero a decent/current/competitive hero is extremely less efficient than simply summoning for the new HOTM with power creep built in.

Tldr;
If you have to go through the process of gaining Ascension materials all over again, you might as well do so on a new hero.

1 Like

Idk how this helps f2p/c2p with the summoning odds it has.

6 Likes

The only one F2P is supposedly Hero Academy

The Hero Academy will be F2P friendly. The Alchemy Lab works differently; ( linky, linky)

Note: This transcript is a paraphrase according to the post.

2 Likes

In my mind, the hero academy will be free to play friendly, because those who pay to summon, tend to have a surplus of 3* and 4* hero and don’t need to swap or trade them for an equal rarity hero. Unless they have four or five copies of every 4* hero, and none of one they have been chasing. (Proteus in my case) so the cost for an equal rarity trade could be much much lower.

If the ability to trade up to a higher rarity hero is built-in, that would be appealing to everyone across the board. Those free-to-play and cheap to play, could swap out multiple copies of their 3* heroes, for a random 4*, and multiple 4* for a 5*.

This is of course assuming that the hero academy works this way, and has these two functionalities built in on release.

I fully support instituting more choice in the hero academy. People have already rolled the dice and gotten the random result, this is a way to take bad luck over and over again, and gain some value from it.
This is why the hero academy should have very minimal costs. People have either already spent a lot of money, or waited a really long time with bad luck results.

The costumes should follow the same. People have already pulled their hero, and ascended it. They should not have to start all over, or spend a lot of money or time.

To me, the costumes are a fun way of changing your old character to make them more relevant in the following seasons, rather than simply updating the code and buffing old characters. This gives more choice in what to do and how it is accomplished to the owner of the hero. They should very much be a reward for the longtime playing, gathering old heroes, and should not have an extreme cost associated with them, whether that cost is time or money.

3 Likes

Are these really the final iteration of costumes?
There should be costumes for all classic heroes not just some, further most of these are not good. Not worth leveling up for a small stat increase and the specials are mostly worse than the originals! I really hope they change up the specials so before they go through beta.

No, they’re not even the first iteration of Costumes.

They were like an early partial alpha preview, before a real Beta even.

4 Likes

And after all that work of levelling costume and hero they look like a clown in your roster. Literally. It can’t be overstated how out of place and ugly some of those things look.
After seeing the design of the copycat game that shall not be mentioned, the way that heroes look in costumes is especially jarring.

I wouldn’t worry about something like Boldtusk costume. Really, the chef is his day job, and the Boldtusk you’re used to seeing is his superhero form.

4 Likes

Cant wait for the costumes to go live

It’s not like people will look at BT in his chef’s whites and think ‘he is not a bit like that superhero guy!’. Great disguise :laughing:

1 Like

Yeah hahah, um right.

Anyway, i see it as a undesirable step toward caricature and silliness that is abundant in other games already. Not that e&p was ever grimdark fantasy but at least it tried to be cool.

1 Like

I do not see anything mentioned about costumes in the release (v 23) notes. So I guess these will be introduced at a later time?

Definitely, the first and only version of Costumes that was in Beta a long while ago was definitely nowhere near finished.

4 Likes

That’s just Grootesque

From what I have heard from costume or read in this thread, I hope they are far from coming to production.
I have heard that heroes head are changing, costumes are very colourful and don’t match really with E&P spirit. And Harley Quinn is part of the stuff (can’t remember if it’s new vivica or liana head)

I’m playing now for 2 years and an half, I have ascended almost every 3* (48) and 4* (50) including events and season 2. I’m missing 1 or 2 standard 5* but I can’t ascend all of them because AM missing. I’ve few hotm or event 5* as I’m not spending enough to get them.

In few months I will have nothing to ascend so costume are welcome but I’m not fine with the idea to ascend a costume with same mat as its hero (except if SG is planning to provide much more 4* AM, but I don’t except to much on that side).

So my expectations on costume would be for sure very different from what SG has in mind.

1 Like

I hope your wrong, players with more than two years on the game need something to do with their training camps. But if SG thinks about it only as a new way of doing money. yes it would be an undesirable step toward caricature and silliness.

1 Like

FWIW

I think the costumes are a terrible idea. I don’t like the execution, the design, or even the over all concept.

I do think they could have accomplished a similar result with the following idea I had the other day:

Replace costumes with Amulets. These Amulets are S1 AND Rare, Epic, and Legendary Specific.
Each Amulet can be attached to one hero (Maybe have a reset token). The Amulet must be leveled like a hero.

Each of these amulets has a skill or trait attached to it. For example (im thinking off the top of my head here):

The Epic Amulet of Mana which adds a 2 turn stop all mana generation for two heroes.
The Legendary Druid Amulet which changes the Heroes class to Druid
The Rare Amulet of Repost which adds a 5 turn repost to the casters special

Each Hero could wear up to three Amulets.

5 Likes