DoT/status effects don't apply to a revived fighter if they died by direct damage first?

As we all know, fighter class heroes have a chance of reviving with 1hp after being dealt a fatal blow. We also know that fighters retain DoT and status effects through death/resurrection. However, what I never gave much thought to was that DoT is essentially an after-effect and doesn’t apply if the targeted enemy doesn’t survive the direct damage.

For example, I just faced an emblemed Boldtusk in a raid. After taking some tile damage, BT had low health and his mana was almost charged. I targeted him with Gravemaker to prevent the heal. The direct damage took BT out and put the burn on the heroes on either side, but BT revived. I didn’t think anything of it, as in my mind, he would come back and die again from the DoT at the end of the next turn. I fired off my other specials at the other remaining heroes and then was a bit surprised that BT was still alive. I took him out again, he revived again and healed his allies.

I still won the raid handily, so don’t get the idea that I came to whine about feeling like I got screwed over. I would assume the same is true for other status effects like -def from a pulverizer or any blinding attack, it just strikes me as a little odd that that’s the way it works.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I did a quick search and didn’t find anything. I also wasn’t quite sure where to post this topic, as I’m not necessarily requesting a change and I’m sure it’s not a bug. I’d just like to hear some thoughts from other people.

1 Like

Its a gray area. All specials have an order to their effects. In Grave’s case, the damage comes first. If that damage kills the target, the special ends there.

3 Likes

@Stargasm no effect applies to a dead/reviving hero. Not even debuff. If you kill BT after he fires and you kill him with Seshat, Domitia, Caedmon, Sonya, etc, when he revives will still have the attack buff. Because the hero dies first and no effect can be applied to a dead hero. The only exception is for Kage, who debuffs first and can remove the BT buff while kiling him.

Anyway, if BT dies by DoT, he will still take damage upon reviving. And if revives again… again takes damage, so many turns as are left.

2 Likes

Right, I suppose I was just wondering aloud if that was the plan from the beginning or if it was an unintended consequence that the devs decided to roll with.

I’m guessing an unintended consequence that they liked. Serves as extra protection for the Revived fighter so they kept it. Just guessing though

1 Like

Could be, but we’ll probably never know for sure.

Anywho, like I said, it was just something I thought seemed kind of strange and I wondered if it was just me!