Does Rare Quest Change Really Address Community Concerns?

Hi! I’m BobTheSnark, and I would LIKE to feel like celebrating right now.

But… if this thread didn’t already exist, I’d be thinking about starting one. SG’s response strikes me as a very qualified victory, if one at all, for players.

Presumably, we will ACTUALLY get a regular Super Quest Day every week, which IS something that we actually asked for.

On the other hand…

1. Does anyone actually know how many Rare quests we’ve had in the last year? I feel a bit bad that I haven’t kept an exact count over this last year, so it would be nice to compare that actual number to SG’s stated average of 43 over the “past few years” to see if we actually are even breaking even.

Given this statement:

I would really like to know.

1. I actually was hoping for a (mild!) increase in the number of Rare ascension items (and I now feel bad that I apparently didn’t emphasize that enough!) and one consequence of this change is that we are very definitely and explicitly NOT getting an increase (in either Rares or Omegas), nor will we likely now ever, and that’s assuming that the “four floating bonus Rares” per year never “OOPS, hehe” slip.

I see no particular reason why we can’t have a Rare and an Omega in the same week; goodness knows enough OTHER events pile up simultaneously, much less in the same week, and I’m going to prioritize actual guaranteed hero advancement materials over “maybe earn a 1-pull” events quite easily, even if I felt like I have zero WE flasks to spare.

This. This is what I was asking for, and apparently I didn’t do nearly a good enough job in asking, or in emphasizing why.

If I understand SG’s statement, we will get exactly the average of the last several years – so if we’ve gotten any more than 43 in the last year, we are looking at a decrease, and if we have actually gotten 43, we are presumably now looking at a formalized upper limit with little to no hope of ever getting an increase.

Technically true, in terms of what SG has said, but also… somewhat misleading. Rare quests were “almost regular enough” that basically every community-based calendar would list the next Rare in the rotation every week, even though we all knew that sooner or later the hoary old “haha it’s a Challenge event week” excuse would (sometimes! but not always!) be invoked.

In point of fact, the “randomness” never actually seemed very random – it seemed very much like the Rare quest would spawn very nearly weekly, except that in the week or two before a Challenge event, the Rare would “just happen to” drift a little later in the week, so that on Challenge event week “OH NOES WE CAN’T HAVE THESE TWO AT THE SAME TIME HEHE.”

Whether or not that was actually deliberate, it certainly seemed to come off that way.

Except… we really aren’t gaining an Omega or even much regularity, if the Omega master thread’s accounting for 2023 is reliable – we have already been getting pretty regularly monthly Omegas, so that’s pretty much a wash (other than slightly formalizing Super Quest Day and tying Omegas to the Rare quest schedule).

Agreed. Now I feel like my advocacy came off too focused on “regular” and not enough on the “actually, we would like even a SLIGHT increase” part.

I have said it. Apparently, not nearly loud enough, but I have, and not “just” because “I would like more free mats” – I even reasoned why:

So let’s just be super clear:

what I was ACTUALLY asking for, i.e. 52 Rare quests per year, would have been AT BEST a 20% increase in ascension materials per year (and that’s assuming that SG’s number of 43/year is reasonably representative of last year and not just “the past few years”)…

Even if I had been agitating for TWO Rares per week (104 per year!), that would have been, again, AT BEST a 144% increase (compared to, again, SG’s number of 43/year)…

all while from 2019 to 2023 Q1, the rate of 5* hero release has undergone a 369% increase.

Even getting EVERYTHING I was actually pushing for would have been a very limited win. (Successfully winning a doubling of Rare quests, which sounds fantastic, would have still had players well behind the curve of hero release rate!)

Let’s be clear:

if we had a Rare quest every week, for 52/year, then every player who completed every Rare quest would be able to, by dint of in-game earning ascension mats, earn enough mats to be guaranteed ascending ONE 5* hero of each color.

One.

By keeping the number below 48/year, it means we are not even guaranteed that, without sufficient luck from random drops, or, course, opening wallets just to fully ascend heroes (never mind emblems, LB, 2LB, and probably depressingly soon, 3LB).

So honestly? This “win”? Kinda tastes like ashes.

I’m sorry. I feel like I have failed.

15 Likes