Do you really like living or dying by RNG?

Good players don’t need those.
The two things don’t even out because a good player will win anything that is average or better.
But the are certain boards no player can win and, to balance those, you would need to get more than a win from a very good board.
Which is not gonna happen.

Why exactly? The boards that I cannot win at all are not all that common, and a good player winning more than their share of average boards already balances that.

Because previous poster said something in the tune of “good luck and bad luck even out”.
They might in terms of tiles (they don’t because of starting boards constraints), but they don’t even out in terms of result.

For boards to even out you should have p(losing)=p(2 wins with one energy)
so that if you play “on par” you get your 25 wins irrelevant of luck because luck evens out: you get an awful board you get 0 wins, you get a very good board you get 2 wins :woman_shrugging:t3:

That’s not how it works so if you get 1, 2, 3 unwinnable boards in a tournament you gotta suck it up and there’s no way to even them out.

1 Like

Aah, so by “even out” you mean win every match.

1 Like

Nope.
By even out i mean that the effects of one side of the bell even out - weird, uh? - the effects of the other side.

The concept of evening out luck was brought in by other posters, not by me, as I believe it to be utter nonsense in a context where great luck is irrelevant while bad luck is relevant.

Sometimes the bad luck is irrelevant - where you can still win with strategic play.

Sometimes the good luck is relevant - where you win despite making some errors in team configuration/strategy.

The luck does even out. The differentiator is how you utilise that good luck/mitigate the bad luck

1 Like

The existence of a single board that makes a game unwinnable renders luck uneven.
Bringing in players’ error to prove it evens out is unfair: if you make mistakes you deserve to lose and, as I’ve always said, you should lose.
I’ve always applied my statement to good players.

Good players do make errors, but not catastrophic errors.
Good players will be a lot more often in situations where they have to wonder what RNGesus sends their way rather than situations they have actually made a mistake.

1 Like

How so? Some unwinnable games can be won by a lucky cascade, does that not even it out?

With today’s defenses all it takes is one error to turn a win into a loss. And if you record and watch your videos you will see that you make errors - most likely multiple errors - in each and every one of your raids. Regardless of whether you consider yourself good or not.

I counter that and say good players will find ways of taking luck out of the equation - namely, eliminating color stacking wherever possible. 95% of raids that I lose I lose because I have not configured teams optimally or have not played optimally. I no longer have the luxury of blaming “bad boards” because I have almost completely removed that concept from my gameplay. And that is a choice that we all have. Stop stacking if you don’t want to have such a heavy dependence on the board.

1 Like

Depends on the definition of unwinnable.
Mine retains that unwinnable games can’t be won.

Today’s defenses is yet another hypothesis you apply.
But you are still playing with definitions: an error that costs you a match (and by this I mean an error that predictably will cost you the match at the time you are making it and not a move that will cost you the match as the resulting state of it) is a catastrophic error.
Good players should do those very close to never.

And yet another hypothesis you make: stacking.
But boards are evil in so many other ways, not enough tiles for your healers to fire, for instance.
How do you lose the remaining 5% of the games you lose?

If you consider enough restrictions of the problem you could even end up being right :woman_shrugging:t3:

We are venturing into the territory where a perfect player will still lose some (why on earth?) but luck evens out because we make mistakes, so the better you play the more unjust the system is.
It’s taking time, but we are getting to the point.

1 Like

That is not at all how I read 1x bad must be balanced by 2x good. That isn’t balanced. That IS a win every energy, which is what I said.

Even out – the bad boards where I cannot win no matter what I do are balanced by the great boards that I cannot lose no matter what I do. And this is what I experience.

The rest (the majority) of the boards are the average ones where what I do does affect the outcome.

1 Like

For sure the better set up/team should beat the averages in the main, but that’s not to say it’s a foregone conclusion. The randomness becomes more acute the better you are as there are more players who usually you can win against. ( If you’re number one everyone can potentially be a lucky winner against you.)

Yes. That’s the best part of it.

no, i don’t “like” living or dying by RNG, but it’s a feature of the game. what gets annoying is when a bad run of RNG starts to really screw you over–my most hated being unintended cascades, especially where a move on one side of the board triggers tiles to clear on the other side. there are plenty of other ways that small percentage chances of things happening start to get infuriating because it almost seems that the game is out to get you, and no amount of favorable RNG going the other way is going to take away the sting of losing something you “should” have won except for RNG screwing you over.

there are other things about the game i enjoy, and not every team i face is going to have the most annoying and heavy RNG-dependent heroes (Rogues, Fighters, Sorcerers, dodgers, blinders, etc.).

1 Like

And don’t you think that “no matter what I do” plainly sucks?
It’s basically the thread theme.
Also… Do you need the “no matter what I do” winning boards to win?
Very good luck is just overkill, very bad luck is just loss: they don’t even out unless you apply personal interpretations of getting even :woman_shrugging:t3:

Attaboy! :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but the opposite obviously rocks. And since I find they are both really fringe outcomes I don’t worry about it.

What bothers me more is the mistakes I still make in board play that lead to losses, some of which are due to my fat thumbs moving the wrong tile.

1 Like

1 Like

I don’t mind the RNG on the boards. Horribly frustrating as it is, especially in wars.

The RNG I absolutely hate is the rolls for items, chests, and heroes. My last two elemental chests contained regular map items. I have had one 4* ascension item in the last 5 weeks from titans. I’ve gone to 260 summons in a row without getting an event 5-star. 2 of my last epic valor chest didn’t contain any 4* items. I opened 20 BF chests out of sheer desperation for ascension mats and only got 3 4* items.

THOSE are the things I despise. No pity system for summons, no luck with ascension mats even though players are starved for them, just all over the place.

3 Likes

The number of 4 star ascension items in inventory seems to affect drop rates. The more I have, the more often they drop. Maybe, I am just “lucky”.

Many “coincidences” caused by RNG that I don’t like at all like for example:

• When Elena/Tyr revive eight times in a row and eventually take a shoot;
  • When Mother North have 10 out of 10 succession in reviving opponents falling heroes while in a same match succession of your Heimdal is 0 out of 13 (could revive 13 heroes in theory but in reality didn’t revive any of them);
  • Mega combo that fulfilled mana of Alfrike from empty to full, instantly;
  • Mega combo that fulfilled Frigg’s mana, but in same time put at least ten green tiles at the table, just before she is to use her special skill;
  • When you need only one tile to have all (or at least four) of your heroes full with mana, or to use healer or game changer hero and eight turns in a row, after more than 30 tiles has been changed at table, you don’t get that one tile;
  • When someone have three or a four heroes in a color, you’re attacking with mono team in a strong color but have in best case two tiles in that color at opening board (once there was none); Sometimes five or more turns you can’t connect first three tiles in a color;

Do you recognise this “coincidences”? I am sure many of you does and problem is that we are meeting them more and more often than we used to before …

2 Likes

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but to me there are plenty of times where it seems like the game wants you to win or lose. Some times, I’ll play, and everything goes the defenses get all the benefits (100% revive success rate, cKadilen cause everyone to dodge 100%), and then I get dead tiles. In other words, I basically didn’t have a shot no matter what I bring.

OTOH, I’ve had some recent boards where everything went my way: Mother North firing a couple of times and not reviving a single person, and I get favorable cascades that charge my heroes and heavily damage the defence.

People may say they even out (equal amount of good and bad situations), but personally, I find that distracts from the game play. I’d prefer if the matches were “even” instead of seeing such extremes.

4 Likes