Do you like being a beta tester?

So how does access to new heroes work? Do you only have access to them on a side account or do u acquire them on your main? If you have only one acct do they get removed from you on launch? I’ve beta tested before, but on games before full launch so curious. I almost applied here for beta once but wasn’t sure how it worked. I wouldn’t necessarily want be given all the heroes for free as I think half the fun is acquiring and trying build better formations as you progress. (Although game is stingy on handing out heroes without alot of $ which makes this aspect suck).

It’s a love-hate kind of thing for me.

First of all, I’ll start with saying that my game involvement has limited drastically these past few months. After spending too much (again) and not getting much value out of it (again) I cut my spendings a lot. Problem is, that if you don’t spend on this game, it doesn’t give you much. Less new heroes, ascension mats, less engagement in the new things released; like it’s punishing you for not spending. I almost stopped doing raids, sit all days with my WE energy full etc. 1 year ago that would be unacceptable! I was filling 2-3 raid chests per day, now I fill 1 every 2-3 days, and that’s only during tournament days.

So, that’s my engagement in live game nowadays. You can guess now what my engagement in beta is… where progress don’t matter, playing or winning brings nothing etc. I still log in every time there’s new beta, have a glimpse at the cards and play those whose mechanic seems interesting (sadly, the most recent trend for new cards is “hit all at fast speed for 10% more damage than the last hit all hero”). When I think it matters, I post my opinion. Worst thing, however, is I kinda feel most time it does not matter. When I feel it is boring and destructive for the game for devs to just keep adding heroes who deal an amount of damage that was unimaginable few years ago, they seem to view that as exactly the way in which they want the game to evolve. So why would I waste my time. Same for costume releases. I hate the whole idea altogether, so why would I opine on their stupid costumes they keep torturing the game with. It’s like you go to a restaurant, tell the waiter you are vegan and they keep bringing you their ham selection to taste.

Betas were fun when there was like new HotM or two to be tested, maybe a new season hero; once every few months a wider group of 4-5 heroes from new event. Now every new beta we get literally 10 and more heroes. Themes of those start blending, art is no longer memorable, skills are just reused old but stronger, can’t remember the names anymore, don’t even really follow which made it to the real game and which haven’t yet. It’s not a job for passionate or even hobbyist anymore. To do it right, you’d need to spend hours on playing and then 10x more hours on writing your feedback. And I am kind of person that either does it right or doesn’t do it at all. So those betas I don’t really enjoy. Especially knowing that even if I do it right, even if I give them the best feedback and then they listen - I am not going to enjoy any of that content in the live game without returning back to spending levels to which I hope never to return to.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that many players in beta don’t really mind posting feedback when it’s not that thoughtful, don’t think about the bigger picture, how the hero compares to other heroes of the same rarity etc… They just like certain hero is very strong, or feel confident with their spending knowing they’ll get that hero and get advantage this way. So a lot of feedback that gets posted I don’t really agree with, but in most cases I am done arguing with people over that. And for SG that just seems to be an excuse to say that players like what they did.

9 Likes

Beta is replica of our live account. Changes made in beta will not reflect in live account. New hero’s will be sent in inbox to test. Once if we import progress all changes in beta will be lost and we will get another replica of live account.

3 Likes

Wow, you are all Beta testers? Neat!

So a few questions:

1. How much money does SGG pay you to Beta test?
  2. In the Live Game are all of your boards full of the shields/tiles that you need, like all the time?
  3. Why did you release Noor at Slow Speed when you knew that Hulda would eventually come out?
  4. In your company meetings with SmallGiant do you ever bring up our concerns?
  5. If you are going to nerf a hero I have pulled, can you please let us know your plans ahead of time so I don’t waste resources?
  6. Can you give me my resources back that I spent on Azmia or any of the other heroes nerfed?
  7. When do you plan on buffing Telluria so she is relevant again?
  8. What are the SmallGiant offices like in Finland? How many times do they fly you out to visit the main office?
  9. Is @Petri small or tall? Does he have a moustache? If so does he look silly with it?

Thanks in advance, I realize you are all super busy figuring out ways to screw the rest of us over, so I will let you get back to it! :+1:

4 Likes

So not sure how far you been a beta tester but did the heros that got nerfed get tested first and told there broken and need adjusting get ignored by SG. Or does it sometimes get missed and SG release the heros then realise its broken or bit of both like poor communication Between each side.

Also and some will agree do they release the hero knowing there OP to cash in on the hero to gain revenue.

To little to buy all the new heroes we want, but than we would be millionaires if it was different.

We don’t move shields anymore, our heroes have always full mana when we play the live account. It gets sometimes a little bit boring, but than wining is wining.

Sadly, back then I wasn’t in the beta program. But if I was noor would be very slow. It’s unbearable that there is a hero with so strong minions at slow.

Of course, what do you think we are?
And than we have a good laugh together about the other peasants crawling through the forum.

Where would be the fun for us in this?

Hahahaa, but you can buy them if you want.

She will get a costume this autumn, maybe it will be the original. The beta council will discuss it later this year.

I never was in Finland. But once we had a meeting at the Bahamas.

Yes, he even twirls it sometimes…

No problem, we’re doing our best :slight_smile:

Edit:

just to be sure

Humor can sometimes translate bad, written down.

This is satirical, don’t believe anything I wrote in this post

6 Likes

Wow!! :exploding_head:

I wish I was in Beta! :laughing:

3 Likes

I mean I’m not that long in beta.

Kalo for example was mixed. Some liked the original some said its broken.

No matter what Sg did, someone would always have been able to say they never listen to us.

For more examples see this posts

OK cheers last question are you aloud to give feedback on new heros before there released to give a heads up to player so cash is not wasted or do they say to keep it shut till released.

Have you seen the beta beat threads done by @PlayForFun?

I think than it should be clear that we are allowed to do whatever we want with the information.
The only thing forbidden is posting pictures, but the rest you will nearly always find in those threads.

3 Likes

Ahh no I haven’t I need to look at that then so there been warnings on there let’s say kalo but alot of other’s before that got nerfed aswell. Saying this hero could be nerfed due to this and that.

I have mentioned this before the term “Ignored” is a bit misleading and used alot.
After each beta there is a report summary sent out mainly by petri other staff members have done these aswell.
What is a report summary ? Its a report of what all beta testers have said in each topic, ideas on changes etc…
So its not being “ignored” well someone has taken the time to read it all and make a thread about it …
It does say … Please note: This, like all Beta feedback, is read and discussed by our team. All suggestions posted here are considered, but will not necessarily be added to the live game.

5 Likes

I mean everyone who read his special could make his own mind, the same as every other beta tester, if this hero will remain as it is.

This is just from the first few posts in the beta beat topic, everyone can read this in the forum, consens is kalo is crazy op. So everyone can built their own opinion if the hero will stay as he is or not. We beta testers know nothing more about the topic

examples below
2 Likes

Problem in beta is people are different and they have different perspectives on what the game should be or how it should develop. SG doesn’t set any expectations for us, nor ever participates in the discussions to clarify what they are looking for or what their idea for the hero was.

So some liked that Kalo is very strong for a 4 star, that will make a lot of weaker rosters more competetive for low price and viewed this as positive thing. Those players would post “Kalo is a great hero, release him as is” kind of feedback.

Then others saw that for 4 star rarity, Kalo is very strong, stronger than many 5 star heroes. They saw potential for imbalance in the game. They expected him to dominate, and knew from previous experiences with the game that it never turns out well. Those players would post “Kalo is OP and needs to be nerfed” kind of feedback.

Imagine someone who doesn’t know the game all that much reading this feedback and trying to make sense of it. Which group is right and should be listened to? It’s as much of a guessing game as if there was no beta testing at all.

You’ll often see topics where 80% of players say particular new hero is too strong, share ideas for what can be changed etc. and then one or two players come and say it is a great, strong hero and ready to release because [name of another OP hero already in the game] is stronger anyways.

You never know what’s more valuable to SG when making decisions, we don’t even know what they are looking for. So it’s all kind of pointless these days.

8 Likes

Last time some testers asked for a pin to use in game avatar as a reward for testing which is completely ignored by SG😂

1 Like

If you play the game, you are a beta tester.

5 Likes

Cheers for your input on the subject when testing heros and trying to give feedback to the company sounds like a pain in the ■■■ tbh lol.

Anyway SG need to stop putting out heros where players will waste money. Especially if they are not well off get one and be robbed by a nerf so something needs to change can’t stress that enough.

This is the main point!
SG don’t know its own game!!!

well, there was some years ago a “beta-testers go into beta to find out how the boards will be in tournament and pick their team accordingly in live game”

1 Like

Agree 100% with everything you’ve said here. Your feedback has always been great to read and the passion and effort that went in was always plain to see :+1:

As for me, :hippopotamus: has been a tester since Jan 2019, now apathetic and humbuggy.

2 Likes