Discussion about exploiting the Troop/Hero XP Bug

Evan, reading back on this cluster(ahem) of a thread, I find:

• people outing others with no proof
  • people defining bugs as cheating (fine, no contest)
  • people demanding SG tell us what has been done to said cheaters
  • people demand that SG appease us (various demands listed)

The assumption was made early on that x people were guilty because they were high scoring. Um, no.

I personally don’t need SG to hand me a list of cheaters. They said they dealt with them. Either I believe them, or I don’t.

If I don’t, that’s an issue bigger than this thread. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

SG has fixed the bug, and has taken action to identify and deal with players that took advantage of the bug. They are respecting player privacy by not releasing their names. I will also mention that they will be writing a FAQ post about possible penalties, on a higher level, as their objective is to be transparent. This I all have from a recent post in the moderator thread.

My personal comment, is that I wholeheartedly agree with not releasing names. As Zero’s post shows, damage to personal reputation would be a secondary consequence if names were made public. So the players would be punished again when SG has already taken action.

6 Likes

Seems fair to me.
I assume that the new penalties resemble what they actually do, so i’m eager to read them.

Thanks for share it.

I don’t think any of us care at all to see the names of the players, it will do nobody any good. All people ask for is to know what sort of penalties have been issued and if they were applied to all of the bug abusers or just a few of the most visible ones. The FAQ update will possibly help - don’t know what will be there. A more detailed response of any sort will surely be appreciated by the players. That’s all.

The Pitchfork Emporium has not yet arrived into these parts so we’ve no use for witch hunts nor tools to carry them out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A FAQ post is all well and good.

I haven’t seen anyone ask for a list of names. That’s not necessery.

But I’d “like” to know if

1. They are confident that they identified all players who missused the bug or if it’s just the worst offenders.

2. The extent of missuse, 10 - 100 or 1000 accounts affected? (for mental closure, but this is unlikely)

3. How they could miss this bug for months when it’s been obvious that something wasn’t right since the second week after we even got the barracks. (this one is ofc a big ask and I doubt it will ever happen)

4. Specifically what was done about it, sounds like the plan now is to make us infer any penalties from the mentioned FAQ post. I guess it depends on how it is written, but it is still just letting us know what they consider appropriate actions to be. not what they actually did.

5 Likes

Everyone trying to make Valhalla feel bad for his wrong-doing in naming and accusing people but I don’t see any apologies made to Valhalla…he was right all along…just saying. Many here accused him wrongfully too.

I’m glad Valhalla brought this issue to light to be addressed. I think everyone could see he was sincerely trying to improve the gameplay by making sure people did not take advantage of glitches to the point there is a huge game imbalance. To me that was the big issue, not the player-naming.

Bravo to Valhalla. I wish there were more honest people like that.

6 Likes

Thank you so much @Tokito.
Making names was definitely a wrong move on my part, I regretted it, and even late, I apologized. Someone has paid more than others, but today we have all earned the certainty of being part of a balanced game.
And I think that for everyone, this is the most important thing.
Sorry once again.

6 Likes

My apologies in being hesitant to acknowledge you Valhalla. I was angry about the naming issue and felt it obscured any claim you had to veracity.

Mea culpa.

Thanks for your retraction and apology on the naming issue. Kudos on following the actual issue. I apologize to you.

5 Likes

First of all sorry if my language will be not good, but english it’s not my main language.
I will not turn around:

Im sorry to broken your dream and the hope of other players but your statement is not true:

I created this account because I want to remain anonymous, but I want to tell you one thing:
I’m one of the players who have been called into question in this post. My troops have been slightly regressed because I used that bug you are talking about. But, I’ve lost only some level, NOT all those I’ve gained with the bug (around 13-15 lvls each troop)! What that mean? That SG can’t go back to oldest logs, so it can’t control the players who used this bug months ago. So there will never be justice because the creators of the game have no evidence to use against many players, although it’s obvious who used this bug and who didn’t. My alliance for example (one of the top 10) (and lots of the top 20), many players have used this bug and almost no one has been discovered!
Do you still believe that you are part of a balanced game?
Do not waste time insulting me and calling me spy or something else, I will not answer yet, I just wanted to open your eyes.

2 Likes

Of what value are your statements when you hide behind a cloak?

Are you saying:

“Nyaah nyaah, I got away with cheating and SG can’t punish me”? What do you expect from us? Accolades that you “beat” the system? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Don’t really get the sense of your post.
Is it to be the cool guy, or a notification to all of us that SG has do nothing?
Because if what you said is true and you are one of ‘that’ people, you have nothing to gain about this and only to lose.

Well, whatever is your motivation this is getting really interesting.

Interesting, yes. I’m curious to know what they will tell you all when they pronounce on this bug!

Your name is a misnomer. You are wearing a mask.

The only thing we can do is trust SG. I hope their post will clarify any doubt.

For those that are numbers people, you will know that there would be definite calculations and formulas to be able to determine who had or hadn’t used the glitch. Simply look at the players level along with how much they have or haven’t spent. The answer isn’t a simple 1+1=2 but it is rather obvious if someone is level 25 with 4K power that something occurred. Regardless, SG has the ultimate decision to make. Rather than barring someone or something similar, just roll back their stats to where they should be.

I don’t think it’s so easy.
They have to look their level, how many hours they play, how much they spend and how they spend. Then calculate if it is possible to reach that level or not.
And this for every single player who is suspect. (not few people i guess)

And for rolling back they have to do other calculation.
Maybe it’s just better to make them start over to lv.1 on all the troops, so there’s no problem :slight_smile:

There is never a clear way to approach a community with bug abuse. I feel SG handled it appropriately. Much discussion of this has been hashed out already, so I’ll make this short. If some one violates the conditions or abuses a bug to gain an advantage? Are they not giving up there right to privacy? Three main options Developers have to handle these incidents. 1:) Ignore it, fix it, move on. 2.)Address the community (As SG did) fix it, make changes and move on. 3.)Post violators account names (example: Jagex does this) to show what was lost by cheating, post warnings, fix it and move on.

Its easy for us in the community to get narrow sided when we see a possible violation or unfair advantage. That is why its important we use the in-game tools first before we accuse anyone of doing wrong. Leave it up the developer to investigate.
If you find doubt, before you rant harshly Remind yourself no one wants to fail at business and believe they (SG) will do everything possible to ensure fairness.

2 Likes

I think The Truth [TT] fellow’s post was misunderstood by some. I’m not going to comment on the issue, just what I think he meant to say:

TT is one of the players who benefited strongly from the bug and was afterwards punished by SG. Seeing ValhallaGaming be glad that the game will now be fair (the quoted post), TT decided to come to the forums to reveal what kind of punishment was issued to the players who abused the bug. He says that the punishment was near insignificant and that it’s wrong. That the game is not any fairer now and that the cheating players have retained most of their troop levels and will continue to top the charts as before.

I believe TT decided to come here incognito, because he doesn’t want his account to suffer any damage after he calls SG out on a too-small punishment. He is likely afraid of social ostracism if his guild-mates or community in general discover that he is, in a way, advocating to punish them harder.

1 Like

I was saying it was a short step from cheater to liar (I have no proof of either), and why should we believe anything he says, since he comes cloaked in a pseudonym to make his pronouncement?

Sorry, I don’t like mind games.

2 Likes

Thank you to TT for let us know!
I am still so annoyed about this.
I have spent Thousands of dollar on trying to make my team solid and become a top player.
Now for me to spend day $1000 to someone who spent $100 and them have a better team than me due to cheating maybe people can understand my frustration.
Now for SG to take a few troop lvls off and not investigate the amount spent by players to determine if a cheat had been used I am gobsmacked