Developers, Please Watch this Video - Let's have a conversation about power creep

I stumbled across this Youtube video recently which analyzes power creep in gacha games and gives a few examples of how power creep affected gacha games in the past.

I have nothing to do with this video. I’m sharing this because I think it is an excellent analysis and a warning of what can happen when power creep is not handled carefully. I understand some power creep is necessary to keep the game profitable. I am still a big fan of Empires and Puzzles, and I want to start this conversation because I want the game to stick around for as long as possible so I can keep enjoying it. I know that the game is planning a lot of new content for rollout in 2021, but I am very concerned about the sharp increase in stats and much stronger special skills of many of the new heroes being tested in beta.

We’ve already seen what can happen when things are not balanced in 2020. It caused many long term players that I know to leave the game. Please don’t repeat the same mistakes in 2021. I’m not just talking about HOTM, I mean all the new event heroes and new seasons as well. Even whales will get tired when the shiny new toy they just spent hundreds or even thousands to get is quickly overshadowed within a month by the next overpowered release.

Analysis of Power Creep of Hero Stats - Long Read Warning - General Discussion - Empires & Puzzles Community Forum (smallgiantgames.com)

@MysterySpin did a very thorough analysis of power creep back in 2019, and the rate of power creep seems to only be accelerating.

Empires and puzzles is a long term game, it takes most players months to level the new hero they are excited about receiving. Give people a chance to enjoy their new heroes. New releases should not come too often, and new heroes should be desirable, but not make old ones irrelevant. If you’re going to make season 4 base stats close to a max emblemed season 1 hero, then season 1 heroes need to be rebalanced so they’re still playable. (And no I don’t mean costumes which is another thing you have to gacha to get.) They’re still the backbone of the game for the vast majority of players. For a long term game, it is so not worth it to ruin the game for short term profit gain. You only have a paying audience for as long as they still play the game.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. Cheers to a fresh start in 2021.

28 Likes

Apparently, the devs don’t care about this. They are putting out more Legendary heroes that have +20 power more than heroes that aren’t a few months old. The new heroes in this last challenge event are a great example.

They are putting out new costumes that you have to put up more money to have a chance to upgrade.

So to catch up your season 1, 2 or 3 heroes, you have to spend to do that. That is only a chance to get them up to snuff, not a guarantee because you have to do portal pulls. If you think about it, you have to spend more to make heroes you already spent a lot to get and upgrade already. Again, it’s only a chance to get them, not a guarantee.

I understand having to be profitable as well. This seems shady though

3 Likes

Very interesting watch, that video - even though it´s slightly depressing having to witness it in Empires & Puzzles. But yes, what a difference it makes, if the game has PvP.

Thank you for shining a light on this thread :flashlight:

2 Likes

The faster people accept that e&p became a pay to win low quality game, the better. Deal with it, or quit.

The game won’t get any better in quality or balance aspect- and devs said, not me.

It’s also clear… In the gameplay in general.

It will get more annoying and unpleasant to make people unhappy about it and spend more money in the desperate attempt to make it better.

Older players are just broken coin pigs who already spent enough and are useless now, unless they’re whales that keep putting money in the game.

Newer players are just fresh meat spending for heroes that will get old before they even max them. Unless you pay loads of money for materials.

It’s the end of the line if you’re playing the game for fun or just because it used to be your fav game. You can still enjoy it casual, you will get smashed by unfair overpowered heroes once a while… Until it gets unplayable.

Sadly they don’t care anymore and players shouldn’t too. Don’t stress over something so unhealthy like nowadays E&p.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m profundly sad. I used to love this game but now… Only playing because I do love my alliance mates. It’s disgusting what they did to it. I’m sorry for us all.

4 Likes

Zynga will suck players brain and bones if it could to make more money
Developpers dont give a dang about players QOL
You warn them or not they already know all these things
They have meetings etc they know the gacha game burnout what can causes etc
If they face a massive boycott they will only spread some powder at whales eyes and the money will rain again.

2 Likes