Damage Calculation

This is why defense nerfs are more damaging to the enemy than buffing the attack

thank you for sharing. i know that for some, they dont agree with the opinion or the equation, but there is no perfect or almost always right, so one usable is appreciated

I don’t think it is, but someone would have to do a study of the difference between how much healers heal hero’s total health (the more health you have the more you are healed) vs how much the difference in defense kept your health up.

Some damage bypasses defense—like Proteus and Natalya. Ypu need raw health to survive those specials.

2 Likes

So today I analyzed a video of my 8* titan hit, calculated the “raw” attack values for each hit with corresponding buffs and debuffs (attbuffs/titan debuffs) and ended up with a polynomial fit -10^(-6)(x^2)+0.0878*x-38.28 when plotting the “True” tiledamage as a function of “raw” attack value due to the limitations of Excel. “Raw” attack value was used because titan defence is at this point unknown. “True” tiledamage is recorded tiledamage divided by multiplier ie. for a strong attack colour hitting the weakspot the multiplier was 3.

Now this is essentially an upside down parabola and will start to yeild smaller tiledamages when the “raw” attack values bypass the peak. But I figured I would find a power for “raw” attack value that follows this curve up to a point and ended up with the power 0.72 which is interestingly quite close to the reciprocal of raid damage power (1.35^(-1)=0.74). From there on I was able to calculate that an 8* titan (green dragon) would have around 160 defence. And titan attack tile damage would follow quite nicely a formula of multiplier*(100/3)att/def)^0.72, where the multiplier is corresponding value for weak/strong/critical attack.

With this formula it is noteworthy that the sample size was quite small with only 11 strong colour attacks landing on titan (thanks Wu) and 18 neutral color (yellow) tiles landing on titan. But I feel I ended up with many diffirent combinations of buffs and debuffs along with combos increasing attack up to 1,5 times the normal damage.

Feel free to comment and use for your own calculations.

4 Likes

Interesting comment, thanks for sharing. Recently, I tried to roughly calculate defense of a 10* titan from the tile damage I was doing to him and I came to conclusion his defense is close to 500.

to my mind, damage for 1 neutral stone is calculated by this way:
if attack>defense then
dmg=25attack/defense + (attack-defense)/25
else
dmg=25
attack/defense

correct variant:
if attack > defense then
dmg=25 * attack/defense + (attack-defense)/25 +/- [0…~2]
else
dmg=25 * attack/defense +/- [0…~2]

1 Like

Based on what data? There was extensive testing of the damage formula presented in this thread when it was created.

3 Likes

Consequently, you have your own data to check. It’s just my humble opinion.

Can we somehow calculate the damage made from a single tile (3 opposite strong colours).? Thanks in advance and perfect work by the way.

Roughly: 2 x 100 / 3 x ((attack1 + attack2 + attack3) / defense) ^ 1.35

1 Like

I have always wondered if the number of stars ( 1- 14 ) your opponent has influences the damage calculation and any possible soft cap. Personally, it is how I would have coded it.

Looking at the 1* Titan discussion, it is looking possible, but an equally strong candidate is simply using the raw defense stat number for generating a soft cap break point.

Everyone has contributed a lot to this thread. SO MUCH information, numbers and statistics. I’m lucky I can smell the color 9 right now.

I’m a little bit confused regarding the effect of ramming pulverizer -34% defense, shouldn’t it result in:
(1/(1-0.34)^1.35 = 1.752x damage or 75% increase?

After some discussion in Anzgogh thread, I collect small data while farming. I compare Scarlett 4/50 skill damage against boss of S1:5-4 (the left one) with or without -34 def down:

# Normal 34% def debuff
Average 748 1085
1 742 1115
2 754 1054
3 1086

Actual increase = 45%
It’s closer to calculation without exponents which have 52% increase

I know that the sample size is too small, but it seems some other have also experienced that:

You can’t pull individual buffs and debuffs out in isolation like that, because they sum before the exponent is applied. You have to account for troop buffs and the defender buff before exponentiating.

1 Like

Did you refer to Scarlett-Grimm experiment? They are against monster not other hero so no troop buff or defender buff.

All other variables are unchanged, only with or without -34% defense from Grimm.

Without -34% defense, the formula is:
Damage = 100 x ( θ x Att / Def ) ^ 1.35

If -34% defense debuff is calculated before exponentiating:
Damage = 100 x ( θ x Att / (Def × (1-0.34) ) ^ 1.35
= 100 x ( θ x Att / (Def x 0.66 ) ^ 1.35
= (1 / 0.66) ^ 1.35 x 100 x ( θ x Att / Def ) ^ 1.35
= 1.752 x 100 x ( θ x Att / Def ) ^ 1.35
= 1.752 x [damage without -34% defense debuff]

Att +30%: (1 + 0.3) ^ 1.35 = 1.425
1.425 - 1 = 42.5%

Def +30%: (1 / (1 - 0.3) ^ 1.35 = 1.619
1.619 - 1 = 61.9%

I use the same principle as the OP.

1 Like

If a hero hits for 380 x 275% does he hit for 138 or 1045?

@Keith1234 I moved your post to a thread that can help answer it. :slight_smile:

The Damage Calculation formula is a bit more involved than your question implies, but effectively a Special Skill percentage is a multiplier of the hero’s Attack stat.

If you look at the top post of this thread, you can see how that comes into play in the larger calculation of damage — and why the non-linear nature of damage calculation can make the Special Skill percentages quite misleading.

1 Like

Seems like gm should take more dmg than he does compared to MN from panther and mok arr. both had kunchen debuff as well. gm had elemental buff, but that’s only a 5% increase.