Cyberbullying and mental disorders

I was in my first Alliance War with my new Alliance over the weekend. I will not name names, or anything, because it appears nothing will be done about it. I just want you, as a company, to understand the ramifications of it.

We were all given set orders of when to hit and at what times. It was a very solid strategy, and one that some of the highest levels of the leadership in the group agreed with.

I was “clean up”, due to the fact that I did not have high point heroes on my team, and I had worked closely with the tactician to improve in a short period of time. Plus, I have been playing for a few years now, and I feel that I know how to “board play” extremely well, even with low-level heroes.

On Sunday, I was in the battle with the rest of the group when things started to suddenly turn “south”. First, someone asked why ,if I’m the level I am at, why dont I have higher point characters on my team? I did take some offense, only for the fact that I cant afford to put the money into the game as the rest of the group obviously has, and I had to explain I made some bad choices at the beginning, mainly because I had never played a game like this before. Then, I was being question as to who’s orders I was listening to, as some of the people (of all levels, whether it be co-leaders down to members), did not want to go by the strategy set in place that would guarantee a win. I was pushed to the point of finally using my low point characters, which was all I had left, and attack a team that was low in points, but I still had no chance in winning against. After repeated attempts, I showed my anger in how I was treated, and people stating that they didn’t want to listen to me complain because they did not want the drama, or threats of being kicked out of the alliance for standing up for myself, fell onto deaf ears. I was alone, and this was the third alliance that I have been in since playing this game.

I like this game. I don’t want to have to stop because of what happened, but after an hour or two, I realized I was bullied.

I’m 42. I have been bullied most of my life. For the last several years, I have been treated for mental disorders because of it. Fifteen or more years i believe. Lately, my conditioned has worsened to where i have PTSD. I’m being treated by both counselors and psychiatrists, and I’m on several medications. Since yesterday, I ended up having another PTSD episode, one of many I have had over several years, but only a few times in the last month have been due to the treatment from players in this game.

The particular PTSD episode had been brewing for several months, but had I not been treated unfairly in the game, I might have been able to avoid it. After 7:00pm CST last night, I could no longer handle sounds, and I have not spoken a word, except in this form–on screen or on paper.

Do not misunderstand. I am not blaming Small Giant Games or its main company, Zynga. I blame the treatment in the game, as well as the rest of my time battling this.

You have an area called “Peer Support” in the chat. There is no support there or anywhere else. I merely want you, the developer, who may have a general understanding of bullying and mental disorders, but to hear it first hand would make it more clear as to what really happens to a person who gets bullied. Sure, some people do worse, and I have been there, but I don’t want to quit this game after I have invested the time, and a little bit of money, into it.

I just thought hearing it would maybe clear things up and maybe figure better ways of trying to deal with it. I am currently still with the alliance, and they continue to be rude or mean, so I will not say anything any longer in chat. I have been asked to stay by the tactician, who has become a mentor and a friend, for this next war. After that, I may leave the alliance. I am only there now because it is the only way to advance in the game. Plus, the three alliances I have been in have all treated people unfairly. There does not seem to be nice people in the game.

That, unfortunately, is a shame.

18 Likes

I could probly find u an alliance that isn’t full of douches…

34 Likes

Sorry to hear this. At the end of the day, this is a game that should be used to get your mind off of RL for a bit… kick back, relax and have fun. Hope you can move past this and find a place that is more positive and upbeat. It makes all the difference. Happy gaming.

19 Likes

If people want to list some alliances, I am considering switching, AGAIN, but not until after this next war. I agreed to stay and want to help my friend and mentor.

8 Likes

Hey man that sucks. I hope you find a better alliance. My previous alliance was fantastic in support and general friendliness! They are also very understanding of peoples’ lives outside the game. Try them out - Empire Rebels1477

Don’t linger on a toxic alliance that’s horrible. Things will get better. Stay strong.

10 Likes

I’ve done my fair share of traveling in this game and I’ve come to the familiar conclusion that no matter where you go you’ll eventually run into people who straight up suck. I’ve been a part of some great alliances full of great people, because the good ones rarely put up with nonsense. In my early days I also randomly joined some groups with wannabe dictators, crybabys, pervs and all around a-holes.

There isn’t much SG can do to fix the way people are so if you ever get a wiff of BS hit the leave button asap.

Also I would say you should avoid the in game chat as it tends to be a mess full of trolls with nothing better to do. If you want peer support stick to this forum. Same goes for alliance searches.

14 Likes

The community at large is mostly not full of jerks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
They exist for sure but you just gotta move around a little until you find a good spot. Even one or two people can ruin an entire alliance unfortunately, but it’s not impossible to find a good spot somewhere you’re happy. That’s when you call your alliance your home. You should definitely move somewhere new! Most alliances will be very enthusiastic and friendly, you don’t need to put up with a bunch of toxic players because you like one of their players. Take @Rigs up on his suggestion to help you find a better spot, I trust he has some good options for you. I could even suggest “starks of winterfell” it’s a family alliance of ours, they are very relaxed without much stress.

13 Likes

Ignore the chat, stick to the plan and remind them to mind their own business. You’ve been accepted there as a member, told what to do and that’s it, not their business then at all.
Then switch the alliance as soon as possible.

It’s only a game, it should provide fun and it’s not worth - they’re not worth - getting serious problems.

Sometimes there are true as***, sometimes there’s only no “synergy” or link between people and it doesn’t work and in both cases it’s time to move on.

10 Likes

Do you have Line?

20 char

3 Likes

If you have a list or recommendation, I’m all ears. I told him that I will see how I feel after the next 24 hrs.

3 Likes

Yes, I have do have line.

1 Like

I have 2 accounts. One stays with the family of gamers Ive come to love, and the other roams. What Ive noticed in some alliances is exactly what you stated and is probably my biggest red flag. Basically, its when the alliance advertises as “drama free” but has sooo many internal problems. Unclear leadership. A bossy player(s), that undermine others. Big spenders who bully the F2P little guy. TERRIBLE communication since they are “avoiding drama” that ends up alienating anyone whos not on board with those vocal players. I RUN from an alliance like that and unfortunately they are found at ALL skill levels as well. I usually can tell right away by the way the leaders of the guild act and communicate.

But my point is this: Dont tolerate it. Leave them behind. Immediately. Leave them to themselves and find a better home because I PROMISE you better, friendlier alliances are out there and dont be afraid to go through a few to find ur fit. No one deserves that high school level badgering over a war you were trying your hardest on. I sincerely hope @Rigs, or yourself, can find you a much better alliance that suits you.

10 Likes

Alright I’ll snag some links, should keep @SWEG suggestion in mind as well

I didn’t want to do this publicly as i didnt want to seem like i play favorites but there are some alliances I’ve played with and have known the leaders for years so I’ll grab some links and wait for the blowback…

Could keep goin, if u need more then let me know

Some top 100s in there, some not, some family alliances with varying strengths and commitment levels, etc

Hope it helps

16 Likes

My line id is jrigs if u need to reach out for anything directly. game help or finding an alliance or whatever.

Btw i have no knowledge of any issues within those alliances, always been respectable and good peeps in the time I’ve known them. If you find anything different upon joining, let me know so i know not to recommend them again.

7 Likes

If an alliance have a “strategist” you are already in the wrong place.

8 Likes

May I ask why? Just curious. Seemed like an odd thing to say.

Hope you are ok. if you are interested in joining a U.K. based alliance, please let me know. We are a very friendly group of people. Some chat, some dont. No drama, no need to spend money. We are chilled, supportive and a nice group of people

3 Likes

War is a group effort.
It is probably the funniest feature right now because involve all the people on planning and confronting each other ideas and strategies.

Having only one person doing that is a shame and boring.

As i see it it’s like a trip.
Sometimes the travel to reach your destination is funnier then everything else.

But this way it’s like you are in your car, with your friends, silent, waiting to arrive.

4 Likes

I do agree with you on the fact that it is a group effort. I also believe in the theory of too many cooks. I feel there should be a leader, a few co-leaders, some elders, and a strategy, whether it comes from one person or a small group. If everyone does their own thing, battles get lost. And, everyone is pointing fingers. But, I do see your point. Just my own opinion.

10 Likes

There’s a balance that needs to be had for sure

5 Likes