Costume Quest Frequency

@DoctorStrange You obviously just want to derail the thread by giving implausible arguments without thinking of the maths. Folks here don’t ask for lots of free costumes for all, just an increase that makes them somewhat relevant for those who don’t want to pay for them (either because they are ‘free’ players or because they see more value in chasing event heroes and hotm). As @TomSnow has pointed out, a few more costumes every month won’t give people truckloads of free epic and legendary costumes; at least not short- or midterm. And long term, there are likely new features even more powerful than the new legendary event heroes and the best Hotm.

Oh, but anyway thanks for posting that frequently :smiley: this way the thread and its more than legitimate request get much more attention and, consequently, more votes :laughing:

2 Likes

How does this gibe with a few extra free pulls curtailing spending on pulls? If there are no pulls to curtail you’re not curtailing anything.

3 Likes

If they not spending now why would they ever spend if they getting more pulls free? How do you guys not see that lol. No one will ever need a costume that is a spender it will come down to want and none of will want to chase for them if they get 4 free plus the extra they can purchase. Hotm and some Atlantis heroes fall under need which generates spending, there is nothing about the costumes that is have to have.

1 Like

20 keys free is too many 10 is fair. I agreed there needed to be more but 20 is to many for free that’s all I’m gonna say I hope they have no problem giving u guys ten.

Yea unfortunately costumes were supposed to be a nice feature for f2p to catch up with their TC20 rosters. Turns out this “nice f2p friendly feature” was hidden behind a paywall, with a chance of 1 summon monthly for free lol. Hilarious.

I agree it will be tricky to find balance here, but having costume event every two weeks wouldn’t hurt the game much. All costumes are nice for their level, but the most desired ones are really rare. Like ‘you could summon 100 and still not get the one you are after’ rare. On the top of that, you are still required to have the hero the costume is for…

I like the idea of having keys as random drop somewhere, with a rarity of 3* unfarmable mats. Allowing free players 3-5 free pulls per month would be healthy and I see no downsides. With that rate, year worth of pulling may still be not enough to have even 1 legendary costume, but at least there will be hope of getting one… Currently f2p really only get a demo version of what was going to make the game friendly to them. Most will pull like what, 2 epic costumes per year… come on.

I also had a devious idea once for costumes that there could be ways of gaining them outside of the chamber. Like beat 300 Horghalls on raids to unlock Horghall costume etc. Completely different concept from planned, but I think this one would be actually rewarding.

4 Likes

I like the work for the costume idea better than giving more keys.

2 Likes

The point is if I’m not spending now (or spending very little) on the low chances for HOTM why would I spend at all on low chances for a costume? Regardless of the features? I can get more chances at a HOTM in any given month than I can at a costume that is supposed to make my TC20 heroes “relevant”. For free. That to me is just a slap in the face and makes me LESS likely to pay EVER.

It’s like:

We are going to help make the TC20 heroes a little better for those who are not inclined or able to spend heavily on the HOTM. But to get the costumes to do that you need to spend heavily just like for an HOTM.

4 Likes

Well, that’s quite obvious. People who don’t spend now, won’t spend if there were more free costumes. They would, however, also not spend if there were no free costumes at all.

Raising the number of costumes that can be obtained without paying for them consequently has no negative effect from a business perspective if we assume that people don’t spend either way.

There is no hero that is actually “needed” and cannot be replaced no matter what. However, every hero is part of the total power of a player’s roster. Some, like most HotM or Atlantis heroes like Kageburado or Ursena, clearly more than others. Same is true for the costumes. Some add a lot of power, some probably less and some are useless because the original hero is missing or cannot be fully ascended.

Finally something I don’t disagree. I have always been in favour of things that can be unlocked with skill and activity. Things are more precious if you have to earn them. Translated to E&P “earn” means do missions, quests, tough levels, be patient to unlock stuff.

Restricting an important feature to a minimum amount unless you pay real money for it, isn’t exactly the idea of a game in my eyes.

And: If those who have enough money aren’t interested in spending on costumes anyway, what’s the problem if there are ways to get them for free.

Let’s assume that costumes are worse than HoTM and event heroes (this is your argument why they have low priority for whales). Then they are still quite an improvement for people with few or no HoTM/event heroes. This has two consequences:

1. P2W (and some C2P) are more pressed to keep their advantage and might do more event and Atlantis summons.
  2. F2P (and some C2P) are happier because they have something to do again and they can at least somewhat keep up with those fielding massively emblemed Finleys, LotLs and Gravemakers.
  • Having to do something is important as many advanced players simply run out of heroes to level (unless you think it’s fun levelling your fourth Grimm or third Boldtusk…). When there are no reachable goals, the game becomes a dull task and loses its appeal
  • If all new features, which make the power creep go on and on, are mostly locked behind a paywall, a few big spenders will become almost unreachable with means of activity, patience,… by simply playing the game
  • Players who are bored, who have no chance to keep up etc are more likely to leave.
  • However, F2P who are happy and content with the game are much more likely to start spending and to acquire new players, who might also spend and add to the profit for SGG

One more time: If, in your eyes, big spenders don’t care for the costume portal anyway, where is the problem with increasing the rate of costumes that can be obtained without spending?

3 Likes

@DoctorStrange What do you personally think about spending gems on the costume summon portal? Knowing that you can’t get a HOTM from there; do you think that spending the same amount of gems you would spend on an event or a seasonal portal, is a good deal with no HOTM chance from the wardrobe?

This is just my point of view, but I think there’s been some confusion regarding the frequency vs the enticement to pay for costumes. The frequency of the keys or the drop rates of keys… I don’t believe it would affect the enticement to purchase costumes much at this point.

This is what I said in the 2nd post of this thread:

As I personally believe there isn’t much enticement to begin with when it comes to spending for costumes. Whether we get 100 keys or just 10 keys per year… it doesn’t matter because my reasoning for not wanting to spend on costume pulls has nothing to do with frequency.

I’m fine if costumes are meant to be endgame for all players – as they require you to own a lot of classic heroes to at least get good use of everything you can summon there.

But what is personally stopping me from spending there (even though I have all classic 3* and 4*s, and most of the classic 5*s), is the fact that no HOTM can be summoned through this portal. I think you’ve said this yourself too, but there’s been a lot of back and forth, so just humor me and let me know what you think

3 Likes

Catering to a crowd on hope does not to improve business. It’s a new feature that was slow rolled out to see how the audience feels about it. Everyone complaining about how they introduced it with low odds and only a few keys must have not been here for the unveiling of the first raid tournament and that whole hoopla that ensued over some emblems. They way this was released shows they learned from that experience. This was unveiled correctly and this omg doom post makes me no sense being that the event has only happened one time. Asking for more keys understandable, asking for more ways to earn keys still understandable, expecting more free given on a hope for spenders??? I dont approve, wouldnt approve the idea if my managers brought it to my office. I would rather have people spending on heroes that come out every month than some costumes and finding the right skills to make people want to spend is how they earned there bread an butter. These costumes are a freebie and should be looked at as such is all. They are game changing for some yes but not enough to make them a priority but for a few.

More costumes with different sets of skills or several.different per character would ignite some spending as you now would not be purged with duplicates and multiple skill options would make mouths water. Limiting them to the classic heroes would enable them to adjust costumes to the power creep of the game this enticing many to spend on both Multiple costumes for all vanilla heroes would, in my eyes, make it worth summoning as it stands now i will just take whatever keys i got and whatever is whatever I already got rigard and brienne for free, i would like lianna but not enough to do multiple ten spins for that one costume.

1 Like

Agree. Better to start slowly and increase the rate than to drastically reduce the amount after realizing it’s too much :+1:
Many players (30 voters alone in this thread) think that 6 keys without any other ways to get or earn more are too few and thus hope that the frequency will be increased in the future.

Might be counterintuitive, but don’t underestimate the importance of customer satisfaction. It leads to customer loyalty and consequently to higher profitability.

Raising the frequency of “free” costume keys from “terribly low” to still “relatively low” would definitely increase many players’ happiness while still very few will get their favorite 5* costume. So those who want to do summons and chase costumes would still have to do that unless they are very lucky. If summons aren’t really worth it compared to Atlantis and Event portal, as you said several times, then the reason for it isn’t the number of “free” summons…

True. Most potential spenders are waiting until more costumes get added as the chance to get the same ones over and over again is much lower.
However, if there are for instance two or three different costumes for each TC20 hero, it gets pretty hard to chase all the good ones. Thus a few more “free” costumes wouldn’t hurt the business, would they? The odds to get a featured costume are still below 1 % per summon and one might have to wait more than a year until a particular costume is featured.

Yes, I’m also looking forward to seeing costumes for all TC20 heroes and I hope that the best of them are good enough to ignite a lot of spending. However, I would even more be happy if every active player could accumulate several 4* and a few 5* costumes over the course of an year.

From my perspective as a C2P who has to weigj alternatives carefully, I will definitely do one or two x10 summons for costumes. Not because I hope to get, say, Lianna when she is featured, but because I really want Kiril, BT, Rigard etc. A great 5* would be the icing on the cake, a few decent ones would already be OK for me.

2 Likes

@Kikyo I received a key in my war chest today, and there are other ways to get them now, too. The quest gives up to ten keys now. And the portal now gives the hero with the costume and gives a HOTM chance.

Would you say that the new release addresses your concerns adequately?

3 Likes