Correct Probability of Increasing Special Ability

I have a bug that seems a bit trivial but may come up occasionally. This occurred about 10 days ago; sorry I don’t recall the time.

I had a 3* hero (Valen) who was fully leveled but had only 5/8 special ability. I got four Valens to level him up and used them at the same time. The game said that he had a 100% chance of increasing his special ability, because it sums four 25% chances. However, in this instance his special ability stayed the same!

I suspect what happens is that the game uses the level up characters sequentially, so that you get four 25% chances in a row. The chance that you will increase your special is then 1 - (1 – 0.25) ^4 = 68%. Within this 68%, there is the chance that you will increase the special two or more levels but that does not need to be mentioned.

This is a rare event but some people may be angry if they see their 100% chance unfulfilled. It really only is important if you use one or more of the same hero as is being leveled.

4 Likes

I’m of the opinion that if something says I have 100% chance, I’d better get my prize.

2 Likes

I used 100% chance once and it worked

1 Like

Yeah…GeneDude’s 100% didn’t work. Hmm…

Has to be a bug, I think. If it was sequentially, there would have been mentions of the special going up by 2 or even 3. That hasn’t happened yet, I think? Surely someone would have mentioned it on the forums?

1 Like

I think there aren’t enough people leveling heroes they care about enough to notice. It’s a rare thing to have four extra 4 or 5* heroes, so those players won’t notice. And players with 1/2* heroes aren’t likely to have the goal of maxing their special anyway, so it’s possible that they never do this.

Nonetheless… 4 of the same hero should absolutely be a 100% increase. I’ve only done this once, with a Layla.

1 Like

That has to be a bug, for sure. I am 3/3 for the using 4 of same player for 100% success of leveling special.

I have vague memories of hearing about this at some point. Vague enough that it was a very long time ago. I think it’s an extremely rare occurrence, and there’s no telling how many actually bother to report it.

Everyone responding here has 4 heroes = 100% special upgrade work. Please report your error to SG:

https://smallgiant.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new82

There seems to be a bug since the latest update, at least on my login. For the past 10+ days I have been levelling new characters and I have not had one special ability raise without an ascension. I always wait until I have at least 10% chance of special ability, and sometimes up to 30%. I have 2 TC11’s going nonstop. So 10 days, 24 heros a day is 240 times 2%, I should’ve had at least 4, maybe 5 special abilities increase. That doesn’t include 2 TC20’s going nonstop and a few 2600 gem rolls that pretty much all got thrown into levelling. Did the formula change? I now have 5 heros get to level 2 ascension and only have special ability at level 2 from the ascension. Seems something is amiss.

RNG.

@Rook, sounds like your Gunnar 3/8 3* 3.50 has company.

1 Like

It can be very frustrating, this rng thingee. I just maxed a Gunnar who’s special went up once through two ascensions so he was 3/1 with a special at 4/8. At that point I gave up on feeding 10x 1* at a time and just fed whatever figuring I’d need to pull a few Gunnars to max his special. He maxed at 3/50 with 8/8 special.

This has happened to me numerous times. I guess for you the all are happening at once.

2 Likes

On the other hand, I just leveled Caedmon. Consumed 1 trainer 1* green. With I think merely 6% chance of special ability increase.
And voila. His special increased. …

2 Likes

RNG

Cool.

Elena 5*

On June 27 my Elena went from 1/8 to 8/8 in 60 minutes and 66 levels.

Which is annoying since I was mostly leveling her to dump red 1* / 2* heroes.

2/8= 1.12
3/8 = 1.14
4/8= 1.18
5/8= 1.19
6/8= 1.50

7/8= auto 2.1
8/8= 2.16

all same color, single 1* / 2* heroes ( 2% or 4% chance).

-=

1 Like

Yep! I had a maxed Gunnar with 3/8 special for ages. After careful feeding (other Gunnars), he now sits at 7/8. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just tried this feeding one by one instead of 10 at once…

Got Gormek’s specials to 7/8 with just 20 1* & 2*
The most recent, his special increased while his level did not…
I didn’t know it is possible :smiley:

2 Likes

CONGRATS!

Beware, this technique works most of the time, but can back fire.

2 Likes

Well, finally special ability went up, after 2+ weeks I finally got one to increase. 2.23, I had to get to 2.23 before I hit level 3. Geez

1 Like