Contest of Elements Terrible for Newer Players

So, it’s kind of funny… I had mentioned that red was the one color I only had 4 healers and another Boldtusk popped out of TC20. I have kept him right now, but I may go ahead to get to 3/60 just to cover stages 3 and 4. Like you, I have more than enough heroes, but I may go ahead and just add one more to 3/60 specifically for the Contest of Elements.

Now will everyone do that? Not likely, but I figure leveling up to 3/60 on the costume side is relatively cheap. The worst knock-on effect is likely the need for roster space.

1 Like

I only do because I see the way the game is going. We NEED new players to try the game and stick with it. We all had to go through this but 4 years ago, they weren’t coming out with 6 new heroes a month. I’m worried about the long term and with old players leaving, we need a new crop of gamers that are wanting to keep playing. Having a new event every month they can’t finish gets frustrating.

5 Likes

Think this event is every other month?

Regardless id rather have this event be a challenge and get the costume chamber back to what it was to help new players.

2 Likes

I’m all for that too. Yeah, it’s every other month but I really don’t think SGG is gunning for a long term goal. Everything points to grabbing as much as they can and then locking the door and that’s my biggest concern.

1 Like

Yeah it points to that for sure… It doesn’t seem to be hurting spending right now… They did alot of things to help new whales:

Tomes.

Experience tomes, ascension tomes, emblem tomes… I got one of those emblem tomes for the first time last war chest, they are worth so much emblems… It is crazy.

Anyways… I see alot of support added recently for new spenders to get up to speed, if those tomes dropped more frequently maybe we’d have good growth in cheap or free player base too? It isn’t a bad solution, a way to speed ahead hero progress. But it is very paywalled right now.

2 Likes

Great points @Draerius. Last war chest I got both a Epic AND Legendary Experience tome. Just like the POOF, winifred was at 4-80. Some great new features now, you got the cash and you’ll never learn the fun and accomplishment of grinding.

1 Like

Well a new player getting here in a 5 year old game, if they can’t do some POOF leveling on occasion it is going to feel insurmountable wall to climb to catch up. That will lead to disinterest and quitting.

I honestly think they should give new players Richard, Elena and vivica base 5* as they complete season 1. Why not? Getting a 5* is exciting, they are all entrenched in the story throughout the game so it connects you there and no costumes means no premium heroes

3 Likes

Also the skills are quite unbalanced across the colours

Red has quite limited healers, dispellers. Couldn’t remember if red has any more dispellers outside of C G Kong, and that’s a paywalled hero.

2 Likes

this event sure will have a lot of us scraping the bottom of the barrel of our rosters…

at least those feeders, mats and ham will have been put to good use… :slight_smile:

We were all newbies and we couldnt finish all the events/tasks so its not a big deal if they make an event only for whales…after all this game is ruled and mainly financed by the whales…and at this point what the game has become lots of players “the new,the middle,the old” lost their sparkle…so personally i dont care if they even release an impossible event…lately all the game seems meh

1 Like

I can’t believe there’s so many players who thinks an event that allows only 1 specific color heroes is OK! Whole lot of you were crying about having to pay 250gem to finish towers but it’s ok to limit participation to a single color?

2 Likes

Yeah I’m in this exact description… I don’t think it is ok to pay for content in a free to play game, I consider gems a currency equivalent.

Here there is nothing paywalled, yeah there are roster restrictions which we are somewhat used to via towers, wars, 3kingdom wars, tournaments, and taverns. Obviously this is an extreme roster restriction compared to those but I don’t see it as impossible. I see it as entirely achieveable, and maybe that is the difference? I think 1 year less playing I would be super stretched and digging into many more 3* to handle this event, so I don’t see this as easy for anyone less than 3 years, but achievable if you have played actively for at least 2 years. Idk I’ve eaten many maxed 3* and a few maxed 4* duplicates for space, if I kept buying roster space rather than eat all of those even at 2.5 years playing I think depth would have been sufficient… But alot less power on the higher end.

1 Like

Would be nice if this Contest allows at least one other colour but with severe penalties:

Not purple, of course. Either red blue or green. Only one other colour, comes with these penalties:

1. Reduced mana build up
  2. Reduced attack
  3. Reduced defence

But that would mean another layer of coding complication. Would Zynga/SGG consider this extra effort cost effective?

It’s pretty obvious that this new event is a very thinly veiled excuse for another portal, more OP heroes. Since the primary reason is for the summon portal, player experience is of secondary importance.

I am okay for yellow, purple, blue. Horrible for red and green. I don’t see myself even going beyond stage 6-7 for red and green. Hopefully it will be better for red and green when those colours roll around.

I wouldn’t sweat it if I can’t complete this new event. Just like I don’t sweat it when system knocks me out of RT by D3 or D4 or worse D2. I know what the solution is : Zynga/SGG wants me to spend.

It’s that or spend more time playing this game, trying to get tokens etc etc to upgrade my roster a wee bit faster.

If I am not happy to spend money or more time, then I have to accept the “restrictive” conditions.

This is a game. Not RL.

How exactly, do you get 25 5* YELLOW heroes if not by using gem? This is an even bigger paywall than towers! They are paywalling 4/5 of heroes that YOU HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR by making them unusable! At least in towers you’d have a chance to keep them alive and reuse them through out the event!

I don’t understand why so many players are being fooled by this “HEY ITS A NEW EVENT WITH A GOOD CHALLENGE FOR Y’ALL IF YOU CAN BEAT IT YOU PRO MAN” gimmick! It’s a fukin PAYWALL still!!

Why do you need 25 5* yellow heroes? You can use 3* first 2-4 stages, 4* in the middle, and 5* at the top… Probably can get by with 5-10 5* in a color.

This is based on what I have heard form Playforfun and Ruskin in the event thread testing they even used some 3* in stages 5-6.

5 Likes

And you can probably use only 2 or 3 3* heroes in first stages. Or something like 1 3* and 1 4*…

Does costumed hero count as 2 heroes by the way? (Or 3 nowadays?)

No costume & hero is not separate for the use limit thingy.

1 Like

The idea is simple, they want you to (chase) spend gems on new event specific heroes, which can be used 5 times, and are super powerful too… As long as you are willing to spend million dollars on the game… you are all set, so no need to complain… There is a summon portal for a reason you know…

/s

I’m not chasing a hero that’s only any good in a specific event in the game.

As said people don’t need 25 5* for this.

3* will carry you a way and even then could be sprinkled into mixed teams. I used 2 3* in my war hits today…they are far from useless.

But people love to get outraged. Being able to double item means you can probably just blast the last 4 boss waves anyway

3 Likes

I’m not against SGG bashing when they do something dumb, I just don’t see the point here… yes newer players will not complete this event. I think that is ok… BUT they should be able to do costume chamber (not ok).

When reputable testers are sharing their experience with using not all 5* heroes throughout the event I don’t see what all the fuss is about, it will be a challenge to those 2-3 years in the game… but not impossible. You don’t need a 5* army, don’t even need a 4* army… just a developed roster with several 3*, 4*, and 5* which you obtain over time through playing and leveling what you receive.

3 Likes