Complaining about E&P - time to find a different way to vent

Is anyone else getting tired of all the complaing? It seems now days all people are doing is complaing about summons, alliance wars,loot, TC 20 and the amount of time it takes to train heroes. We all know this is a game of chance. Also we know it’s a game of patience. Can’t we just play the game and work hard like everyone else. It’s either spend a boat load of money or just wait it out. I love this game and I’m going to keep playing for a long time. Just wish people would stop complaining so much and start playing the game just like the rest of us.

24 Likes

I hear a lot of positivity among the steady drumbeat of complaints, such as:

• Moderators and regular members taking a great deal of time to explain the complicated nuances to puzzled newbies about things like locking heroes, picking which hero to ascend, and encouragement to discouraged players to keep trying;
  • Outpourings of affection for over-the-top contributors such as when Anchor departed (and even kind words occasionally for moderators, lol); and
  • SG staff actually listening to the community and implementing features and changes to improve the playing experience.

It’s a mixed bag. Everyone gets some frustration - we all handle it differently, and I have empathy for those who have bad luck. I really liked the post I read in early days about the three paths you can take in this game:

1. Spend lots of money to buy your way to whaledom, AMs, and heroes as a P2W;

2. Take deep breaths, play with patience, and spend lots of time to win as a F2P or C2P (I prefer thinking of this one as P2P); or

3. Complain constantly about the lack of quick progress and end up rage-quitting.

It’s individual choice which path to take. Personally, I find path #2 the most enjoyable, as I suspect you do also. :sunny:

17 Likes

Moderator’s note: amended title to clarify intent of thread

Kerridoc’s note:

Agreed. There’s been a healthy discussion about why the mood of the boards seemed to have darkened over the past few months. I blame it on @JonahTheBard’s sabbatical! He’s back now, to leaven our discussions.

13 Likes

I completely agree with you. Just sit back and go for the ride. When I can I try to help. But most the time it’s the same repetitive question.

2 Likes

I agree about your observation of this game being one of chance and patience. In particular since SGG became more transparent about the odds of stuff like summoning, this is indeed clearly a game of chance and given that’s obvious from the onset, why complain?

Well. Easy. The odds associated with obtaining the good stuff in this game are so low that the dominant experience is that of bad luck. Let that sink in please: when you play this game, you’ll mostly experience bad. luck. Bad luck. Bad luck again. And bad luck again.

So that in itself sets a stage for players that experience enough bad luck to go way over their patience threshold to complain.

Now add the next ingredient to the mix: you can spend money for stuff that will mostly end up in bad luck. And it should be clear by now that it could actually be surprising there’s as little complaining about this game as is.

Give it a thought: it’s actually surprising that there’s so little complaining about this game. What if that’s actually true?

4 Likes

Good contributions, @Kerridoc, great title change. :smile:

3 Likes

Frustrated sometimes have to empty their steamy heads. That’s easy to understand. One can’t prevent it I think.

If it’ll annoy me, I’d simply read another topic.

7 Likes

I look at all the complaining we see here as really a prevalent part of human nature…the forums have only a small percentage of the total players of E & P…I didn’t read or post here until I had been playing for quite a while and actually found the forums because of frustration with the game and not understanding a lot of things, and trying to find answers.

When people are frustrated, they want to vent…and find something or someone to blame as being the cause of their unhappiness. It’s not always comfortable to admit that it may be ourselves that have a hand in it, either by not understanding how it works, or by having unrealistic expectations.

Also human nature that bad luck/disappointment with things tend to stick in our memories and stand out more than good…so actually tracking data from whatever it is that made me feel like the game was “unfair” showed me that I tend to have at least average luck (sometimes pretty good luck too!) with things like summons, raids, boards, and acquiring ascension items.

7 Likes

Everything has his limits even patience. When people spend thousand of dollars and waited for years, money and patience comes to an end. The problems are not the complains!

2 Likes

I’ve spent 1000s for my car and now the motor stutters. Sadly nobodys guilt. So all complaints will accidentally always hurt the wrong.

Let’s found a support group for frustrated big spenders… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

You can write your vent down, but not post it.

And it’ll still feel like you’ve vented.

4 Likes

I think anyone who decides to play this game should do just that!!! Play the game. Stop complaining about paying to play when it is a free to play game. If you don’t want to make an in game purchase then don’t. But if for any reason you do then except what you get because nobody made you do it!!!’ I can’t say my heart does not break every time I make a purchase and receive anything other that what I would have liked to have had but when making the purchase it did not say anything was guaranteed!!! So PLEASE just play the game. I come to the forums to get additional help on the game but lately find myself reading mostly people complaining. I hate that anyone would feel so negatively about a game that they would try so hard to persuade other players to feel the same way. Thank you but I’m tired of hearing it so just quit playing already if that’s how you truly feel. This game is perfect to me thanks to all who helped in its creation. MC.

4 Likes

Agree on the complaining or whining part.

But there is value to providing a balanced + objective insight (pros and cons, critique) into the game and discussing experiences that newer players ought avoid.

Big difference I think! The latter can save you a lot of heartache and/or money.

7 Likes

Complaining about complaining… :thinking: If I critique your point it would be complaining about complaining about complaining. Love it :heart:

8 Likes

If complaining distracts you from finding the helpful threads, then simply skip the obvious complaining ones. And if you find complaining in your helpful threads, then skip those posts in them?

You might be surprised to find out complaining players are just as passionate about this game as you are. As long as they are complaining, they are still playing, right? They just express their desires for changes to the game in a negative way, or need to vent the nth time they’ve had bad luck. Everyone needs to vent once in a while, and not all of us are naturally attuned to be positively constructive in their critiques (at all times).

And who are you telling others to quit gaming because they don’t think this game is as perfect as you think it is? Would you please not do that? Honestly, every single one of us is very well able to make the decision to quit a game when it’s not for us, sure some would in hindsight wish they quitted sooner, but still. You do not get to tell others to quit because they’re complaining.

Also why are you thinking this place is meant for, roughly interpreted, ‘players who are totally happy with this game to share information and help eachother’? If you followed some of the complaining closer, you’d find SSG actually listening in on the -complainers- and improving their game based on the -complaints-. So my mumbojumbo about ‘passionate desire worded in a negative way’ -is actually true-! At least the devs understand that, and they deserve credit and thanks for that indeed.

Not saying I like complaining. Don’t read into it like that. I personally think constructive criticism is the way forward, and venting posts are best written down and deleted before actually posting (yeah, you can do that and it still feels like a vent, trust me). But complaints have a place and function in a forum like this.

3 Likes

Ugh stop! What you’re doing is forcing me to complain about complaining about complaing about complaining! :rage:

3 Likes

Complaints about $20,000 and no new 5*s in a support group? Needs professional help and a psychiatrist’s couch, I’m thinking. :wink:

5 Likes

5 Likes

Aw, that’s the nicest thing @Kerridoc
What an honour to be held responsible for the poor emotional health of the whole community.

To make amends, here’s another silly diversion

7 Likes

If you look better on the forum, you find that the most interesting topics with the most interesting discussion and most interesting posts are all in complain threads.

Actually positivity is boring :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes