[Community Content, Essay] Is it really quitting if you keep coming back? or Stalker Ghosting Empires

If you go without returning, I will miss you @Gryphonknight Your perspective and analysis was always a delight to read.

As an added bonus, I still smile about the time you found out what the longest title allowed by the forum software was

I hope you find some joy in the game, more than the frustration, and I will see you again then. Perhaps in a new alliance with new fun people, getting a chance to hit bigger titans.

9 Likes

Hi @Gryphonknight
 how’s things? Have you found a new balance or still a work in progress?

Or just disregard if I’m being too nosey :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I must be a friend indeed as I always found your posts informative and well thought out. I didn’t always initially agree with you but I usually changed my mind on “sober second thought”. And I always got a laugh at your signature closing.

Fin

Postscript

I should also mention I got a secret thrill every time a like from you popped up in my notifications.

6 Likes

Hi @Gryphonknight

Miss you Mikeeeyy

Hope you’re enjoying a healthy hiatus.

Fin

3 Likes

Part 1

Thank you.

I definitely miss all the old forum crew. @zephyr1, @Garanwyn, @Kerridoc @JonahTheBard , @BarryWuzHere, @Rook, @Petri, @mhalttu, @Na.na Plus a bazillion other forum old timers - both users and staff.

8 Likes

Part 2

But @Guvnor ( awesome moderator choice @Petri ), @Math4lyfe ( doing a good job, maybe make a moderator ), @Rigs ( NEVER make a moderator ) @Saanzi ( still using the default forum avatar, why has @Petri not guilted you into uploading a graphic for your forum avatar yet? ) and the rest of the people are helping to pick up the slack for all the Missing In Action forum accounts.

No worries about the forum going forward.

8 Likes

Part 3

Like @JonahTheBard 's return,

I noted @Mai is back ( huge fan :heart_eyes:, love digging through your posts for historical info on Empires) @Coppersky ( so helpful for a newbie @Gryphonknight ) @Brobb ( always wanted to grow up to be you or @Rigs or @Dante2377, but I had to settled for hanging out on the forums ).

4 Likes

One day
 one day

Glad you’re alive, man :blush:

5 Likes

Pffft. I can’t imagine that
 ever.

3 Likes

16 Likes

That is an awesome list of names.

3 Likes

You’re back!! Yay!

Was it my accidental notifications on your emblem math thread that did the trick

Note to self; spam an old thread if you want Gryphon back!

6 Likes

Welcome back, @Gryphonknight. I’ve missed your thoughtful analysis

2 Likes

One of my favorite parts of Empires is looking at the numbers and how they fit together.

This change in Costume XP just makes me
feel
sad.
I feel this patch is inelegant, clumsy, and confusing.

5 Likes

Helping

In my case, I think this is one of the best match 3 RPG games until you reach Stronghold 13.

So I still get happy about helping new forum users ( see notes ).

If I recall correctly, in the past @Rigs has gone above and beyond to help new forum users, and discouraged forum users, find an alliance they can call home. That is a lot of heart.

I think that contributes to my anger over new 5* hero content always winning over Quality of life improvements for all players ( see notes )

Notes

click for notes

Essay 1

Quality of life

Essay 2

I have several draft emails telling support to delete all my posts per Europe’s Right to be forgotten laws.

(Deleting Forum Account vs. Anonymizing)

But I have not sent them.

I have several times started to manually erase my forum posts.

(Deleting account)

But have always hit the cancel edit button.

FIN

7 Likes

Sleep drunk posting

Edit
Moving this to Community Content

More musing on bug hunting than actual help

Please direct any replies involving bug hunting to actual bug topics

Please leave any rambling, slow, weird posts were appropriate

Consider this more of a stream of consciousness performance art that amuses me to record for posterity and share with the bored or curious

Yes I am posting. Yes this may get deleted after a good night's sleep. Yes, I definitely recommend skipping this very long post. Especially you Ruskin505 and Guvnor. Staff is already stuck reading it

???

Can you break it down, after watching the video several times I am still clueless

Notes

Click for Bug report thoughts

People

Different people have different experiences

The more different people that explain a problem, the more likely the problem will be fully explained

I once went five rounds with a person with no progress ( they kept just repeating the same sentence and I kept giving the same answer ) before my spouse walked in and translated for both of us

Testing

If I was mentoring a Bug hunter

Video

Shale’s charges are very hard to see on youtube

I would set up the testing team with 5x heroes so the buff effects are more visible between 1x to 3x charges

Close up

When possible

I would take screenshots of important mana bars and post both the full shot and a close up

Freemium games

Do not click. Trust me. No good ever came from clicking this sentence. You have been warned.

[REDACTED]

Weekends, players

[REDACTED]

Weekends, staff

[REDACTED]

Beta program closed?

[REDACTED]

Game breaking bugs!:grey_exclamation::exclamation:

[REDACTED]

Guvnor :sunglasses:

(teasing)

Your own dang fault for

Being on forum during weekends ( see above )

Being pseudo staff ( see above )

Having access to Beta ( see above )

Having a truly impressive Empires’ roster ( see above )

Knowing everything

Yawn

Yes, I am sleepless, and waiting for an energy recharge, on a weekend. How ever did you guess?

(end teasing)

REDACTED

Portions of the above have been redacted to lower everyone’s blood pressure and shrink this post to a manageable size

For more details search [REDACTED] in [REDACTED] after setting your device to [REDACTED]

(teasing/ not teasing)

The first step is admitting you have a [REDACTED]

(end teasing/ end not teasing)

Clicky, clicky

I know, it is my own fault for being curious

But it is so fun to take apart Empires. Bug hunting helps you understand the mechanics - how they are supposed to work, how they have gone wrong, etc.

Even more frustrating given how opaque the most basic of mechanics

But SGG is a very small team in the business of paying back investors

Personal

Probably no. 1 reason is I love variable mana speed and wish it was a core mechanic

Oh well

([Stub] 50% & 75% trigger? Dual mode 4* & 5* heroes?)

FIN

3 Likes

Proto Fiends

Click for rambling of possibly my biggest Empires mistake, or making too many suggestions to Devs, or total coincidence

Player input

I the past, I have made suggestions that might, or might not have influenced the Devs to put similar concepts in Empires

Fiend Meta

One of my problems with a live service game, and a changing game Meta

First SGG tried to force a minion meta ( looking at you War Rule Undead Horde replacing Field Aid )

Then SGG added fiends without having them automatically count as minions OR balancing anti minion heroes by buffing them to destroy enemy minions, and ally fiends

I still think Grimble should destroy enemy, and ally, minions so minions summoners+ Grimble could be used to generate mana for Grimble’s team

Letting Grimble / costume Gormek destroy enemy minions, and ally fiends, would definitely help both heroes

Proto Fiend suggestion

While not a fiend, the similar idea of an anti minion for a special skill

Would also knock out enemy’s useful minion for Jack’s proto fiend, if enemy had 3x minions already

Bonus for proto fiend including a max HP reduction

Regrets

As an aspiring game design, I would like to think I helped inspire fiends

As a customer of a live service game

I have regrets

so many regrets

FIN

2 Likes

Taking apart or Reverse engineering

I like finding out how things work

At an early age, Grampa would bring home broken parts from the auto factory, and I would take them apart and attempt to put them back together ( give your kids real world enrichment but do not let them eat the bolts )

Protégé Effect

I like explaining things to others

Many of my relatives have been teachers, professors, defense lawyers, etc

The lesson I learned is you find out so much about a subject teaching it to others and having them question you back ( see protégé effect in notes )

Semi Retirement

I have come out of years of Empires retirement for many reasons

The main three

Limit Breakers means my 4*+18 heroes have new uses

I am researching taking an account from Stronghold 1 to 21 ( Advanced House )

I hurt my back and have too much free time ( it is healing but not using a muscle is just as bad as over using a muscle, rehabilitation is hard )

See also

(đŸŒč A Player By Any Other Name... Where does your Game Name/Forum Name come from? - #178 by Gryphonknight)

Notes

Click for notes

Protégé Effect

FIN

2 Likes

I’m sorry you hurt your back, but glad it is healing. You’ll get though rehabilitation!

3 Likes

2019-Nov-08

I retired for a few years

As long as you do not nuke you 4* / 5* heroes, they will wait patiently for you

Notes

Fun with 4* Heroes

Click for notes

([Guide, Auto play team ] Wilbur Wonder Bots or Wilbur + Boril / Falcon + 3x Healer = Team that even the AI cannot screw up or Current favorite auto play team ( especially for VF.6-3N & VF.1-3N ))

([Guide, LB] Limit Breaking 3x Red 4* + 2x 4* Healers + 1x Pseudo 5* Counter attack hero + 4* Wu Kong OR Use loot to get loot)

FIN

3 Likes