Click Bait titles OR Forum tips for a better forum experience OR Mute, Track, Skip, Summarize, Likes, Follow, Devs, Mods, News, Yellow highlights

Click Bait titles OR Forum tips for a better forum experience OR Mute, Track, Skip, Summarize, Likes, Follow, Devs, Mods, News, Yellow highlights

Click Bait

Unless staff locks an individual post #1, the creator leaves the forum or the individual post is set to a Wiki post, the creator gets to decide ( title edit flame wars are soooooo much drama )

Control

The third party forum software does offer some control over visibility ( see notes )

But

The software is designed for discussion, so control is not as granular as some users want, and constantly evolving ( Discourse.org has its own forum for suggesting, and discussing, changes )

Because. Humans.

Eventually you just get used to skipping Click Bait titles

Usually if something important happens ( like the game was ending ), the forum would explode with multiple threads.

Most of which are quickly locked, and merged into a Master topic

Like and Summarize

If everyone uses the like button on informative replies ( even if you do not agree with the contents ) then the summarize button is awesome ( see notes )

Important Stuff

For tracking most important stuff, I recommend stalking, er, following the Devs, and News & Updates ( see notes )

Smartphone

It is easier to read topics, especially summarized topics and filtered topics, if users quote a small amount of relevant text when replying ( see notes )

This is also very helpful for smartphones. The mobile version of the software does not have the full display, controls, and indicators of the desktop version ( though it has one of the best mobile versions forum software )

Notes

Click for notes

News & Updates section

Stalk, er, Follow

Basic

Advanced

Likes and Summarize

Mute User

Mute Category

Mute Topic

Mute Tag

Fun games

Before the fun forum games

(https://forum.smallgiantgames.com/g/moderators/activity/posts)

Had more information but less fun

Since the 3rd party software fixed a bug, you can skim it for yellow highlights

Quote text

Quote spoiler text

Be careful to preserve any spoilers as appropriate

Thanks

Thanks again @Petri ( the face of the forum ), staff, volunteers, regulars, and everyone else I forgot to mention that contribute to making this forum so awesome

FIN

7 Likes

Sad Devs

Trust me, the Devs pay staff, and third party contractors, to read the forums, and all useful social media ( including non English )

@Petri, ( the face of SGG ) and staff, are some of the most laid back, and thick skinned, beings in the universe ( also they are awesome )

Beta feedback

Rumor from Beta, that

Staff weeded out some long time lurking Beta testers, so Beta sub forum exploded with posts ( some mind boggling in the level of venom )

So Devs even have a third party company, fluent in English nuances, to read and summarize official Beta feedback

Super Fans

This forum is primary for creating, and managing, early stage, English speaking Super Fans including Whales, Whales+ and Whales++

The Puzzle Combat business plan does not include an official forum to nurture Super Fans ( that is a different freemium game rant )

FIN

5 Likes

I am always looking to see when beta applications will open again. I’d love to be able to get a hands on feel for where the game is going and be a small part of the process.

I’ve always been sad they won’t at least allow a PC subforum here, as I hate Reddit and won’t go on there.

There are so many things it would be great to talk about it really makes me appreciate having this for EP since so much of PC is flying blind without this resource. It’s only because of my EP knowledge I’ve moved so quickly in PC

2 Likes

Nice stuff @Gryphonknight :green_heart: thanks for this.

@Shunt there was going to be a PC fourm but over time It got scrapped because bascially it end up like this place :joy:. Reddit is so much easier to control for the sgg staff, sure its a mind ■■■■! if you been on the fourm for a long time. I signed up for reddit just to try help out… But its quite peaceful really sure its not in a order to collect all information but a quick easy answer sometimes.
@Guvnor been doing alot of work for puzzle combat they didn’t take my give me all the hero’s so I can send screenshots of them to guv seriously which might slow down his progress :smirk::wink::joy:.

3 Likes

Yeah I got discord and on guv’s page for it but I don’t use discord really and it’s not in a format that my brain can get its head around.

I get why they don’t do a whole forum for it but I don’t see the harm in just a sub area here where I can be discussed.

1 Like

This fourm has alot different options for diffrent topics.
If there was a puzzle combat sub section then it could get to chaos maybe as be one section … Plus e&p players could look at it and maybe either get a interest of PC or be negative against it… Honstley I’d be for it. Could make master threads and other topics so things don’t get out of hand… Be say easy for me to moderate if something gets flagged… But don’t see it @Guvnor would be best to make this happen to convince staff that it’s needed :+1::wink:

2 Likes

Yeah anytime I started anything staff closed it down. If anything as you say I think it would promote the game here especially since you can get in on the ground floor. I started at global launch and I’m already almost finished with my base and all the map levels lol

1 Like

Live service

Unfortunately that does not age well 1-6 years from now

Live service games already have messy forums, no reason to intentionally Frakking Gorram topics

Future you

You can ignore any advice,

you do you

But

Future you will not thank you when you attempt to search the forum for old posts about X, to help out a friend, and none of the searches help because the advice is under the wrong topic

see also

Summarize button

works best for on topic replies

Search tips

Work best for organized topics

Messy messy

FIN

1 Like

I think you missed/ did not read my point entirely. I wrote specifically that

I understand the advantages of following a strict communication guidelines, then again:

• I respond better when my point is taken into consideration as well
  • I respond better when I feel that is a human conversation, not a bot conversation
  • I don’t get a homework to read references of dozens of long posts, some written in a very technical manner
  • It takes away the enjoyment of communication and using the forum
  • It seems most people cannot stick to these very strict guidelines (I have seen enough times many other players and even moderators that “went off-topic” simply for “fun” and “human interaction purposes”)

Moreover, I kindly draw your attention to the fact that your intervention is creating more of a disturbance than my question about Jade.

But of course, you are also free to “you do you” and ignore my point of view. And that leads me sooner to either ignoring you and/ or stop using the forum.

Good luck!

Your question being off-topic in that thread was what started the disturbance. The forum guidelines are clear on staying on topic, and the forums are better served if that is the case. It makes future searches for information easier and less scattershot.

This place is not meant for free flow conversation, even though that is more natural to humans. We do tend to find it difficult to stay on topic, myself included. I am just glad there are also community threads around where being off-topic is the topic.

My question was inserted in a post that was on-topic and was asked because in that particular topic the OP posted a picture with Jade maxed and emblemed.

As long as the topic OP did not find it a problem I don’t see why other people get involved.

And also there is more than one way to draw attention on an issue. For example: “Look, I took this out from there since there is this Jade topic and opened and could be useful in the future for others as well”.

And if he is just this forum defender against off-topic criminals like myself, I just hope then he hunts down ABSOLUTELY everybody that diverge from the original topic including moderators. Since these are the forum rules, right?!

Otherwise, maybe we could discuss things like human beings that are capable of dialogue and not an automatic computer programme that disregards the context and just starts to post lengthy topics about how others should behave.

And about the disturbance - a question plus an answer - both people involved ok with the exchange as opposed to some extra 5-7 messages that create an unpleasant atmosphere among everyone involved.

Hmm, sure.

The response to your post was informing you of ways to call attention to someone without going off-topic, which you even said in the post you were. Now you say it was on-topic?

Whatever.

No, I said that that the question was included in an answer that was on-topic (the overall answer, not the particular question) and it was related with what the OP posted (the pic). Did you actually read what I wrote before jumping to accuse me?

If we go strictly by the letter, most of the other replies were off-topic, because the OP did not ask how many reset emblems everyone had. They just expressed their need for more. But I saw it as good-natured fun that other people posted pictures of how many reset buttons they had.

I know how to use @nevarmaor , but I considered it unnatural to go to another topic and write @X, I saw in that other topic that you posted a picture of that hero, what do you think of them? If I could have replied personally only to the OP, I would have, but I did not have that function.

Finally, I thought the purpose of the rules were to foster constructive participation, not to slap someone if they move one inch away.

But sure, it’s easier to look only at the letter of a rule and not to the spirit of a rule and then act surprised about the quality of the discussions.

To quote you “Whatever”.

God I hope not!

A great example how the same people crying over other not respecting the forum rules are not respecting the same rules themselves.

Or you want to say that your sarcastic personal remark was on-topic?!

I’m not crying over you not respecting the forum rules, I am crying over you taking offense when your not respecting the forum rules is pointed out.

FIN

I took offense over:

• how it was communicated
  • my words being ignored and/ or twisted
  • how I was singled out even though this rule is constantly broken by everyone, including forum moderators in an attempt to communicate more humanly and constructively.

Sorry that my attempt for a more human way of communication bothers you.
FIN

PS If I was not singled out, he should come up right now and slap you on the wrist for writing off-topic, as I did. Even though my off-topic question was constructive. Your off-topic sarcastic personal remark was not meant to be in any way constructive.

I’m gonna insert myself here because I respect all those involved -

I feel like what @The_Seeker is stressing here is not so much the message, but the way the message was sent

And there is a point to that, and it pains me a bit to see @The_Seeker trying to explain themselves but not being understood

I personally also find it more frustrating if I feel not heard, @nevarmaor and @Gryphonknight . @TGW and I would have many conversations about that, both he and I tend to make lengthy posts because we try to make ourselves understood, and being hit in the face with a “whatever” or a violation without being given the chance to explain ourselves… is never pleasant

I think all of you are great forum contributors, so it pains me to see some disagreement and some feeling like they are being dismissed offhand

And I also understand @The_Seeker ‘s point about being singled out, perhaps the incident was an example of being off topic, but it’s hardly the only example… so why was this particular post called out, when there are so many other examples. Being singled out is never pleasant, especially when so many others do the same thing…

I know I myself would respond better to a gentle, “hey it’s cool that you are curious about this, but it’s not strictly related to the topic so may I suggest you do xyz instead, as it helps keep the thread orderly and helps others search better…”

1 Like

Thanks @sleepyhead for your thoughts. I agree with you and I would add to what you said also fairness, which is for me a core value.

It would have been one thing if I constantly insert myself into conversations and write things off-topic or if that particular discussion was hurt by my question or if I would be the only one going slightly off-topic in different threads by responding in a natural conversation flow.

But since it was not the case, I don’t think that the entire lecture that I received was in any case deserved.

1 Like

I empathise very much @The_Seeker , I have been in situations before where I felt judged and condemned for one instance, and I felt wronged because it was one instance and not a demonstrated pattern of behaviour :slight_smile:

1 Like