🏆 Cleaver – 5* Fire / Red from Plain Hunters

New Plain Hunter Hero is released: Cleaver

This thread is for discussing strategy related to Cleaver, as well as your thoughts on Cleaver.

Cleaver

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star::star::star:
Legendary
:fire:
Fire/Red
Barbarian
F
Fast
Level Attack Defense Health

4/80
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
4/85 919 930 1724
4/90 1051 1064 1973
Origin Family
Covenant of Champions Plain Hunter
Image Aether Power Description
rage Rage At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +15% attack, and a further 1% increase every time they are hit during 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:hourglass: Ability: Status effect on Special
When this character casts their Special Skill, they give a Hunter’s Mark on a random enemy. The target receives 150 damage over 3 turns. If a target already has this effect, the duration will be refreshed and the damage will be increased with 150, up to 1500 damage in total.
:hourglass: Ability: Special Skill Damage Reduction
This character has a 10% chance to drop the direct damage received from Special Skills to 1.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Bone Ritual
  • Deals 100% damage to all enemies.
  • Summons a Bone Trap Fiend for all enemies. The Fiend damages the enemy with 45% attack each turn. The damage increases by 8% each turn, up to a maximum of 93%.
  • The Bone Trap Fiend absorbs healing and disappears when it has absorbed health equal to 35% of its owner’s max health.
  • All enemies get -32% attack, and a further 5% increase every time they are hit during 4 turns.

All-in-one still under construction. Card image to be added when available.

:hugs: Family Bonus

Heroes become stronger when teamed with other unique Heroes of the same family.

Plain Hunter family
Bonus for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 Heroes:

+5% / +10% / +15% / +20% attack

:balance_scale: Balance Changes

Jun 2023 (Big Balance Update)

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

The damage reducer passive is reworded, but the effect is the same.

Beta Information: đŸ§Ș Early Information on New Covenant of Champions Heroes [Part of The Beta Beat v50]

:thought_balloon: What do you think of Cleaver ?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on Cleaver.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to Cleaver and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is Cleaver worth summoning for?

• Would you use Cleaver on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with Cleaver ?

• What heroes would you take when facing Cleaver as an opponent?

• Would you give Cleaver Barbarian Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of special?

• What do you think of Cleaver’s character design?

• If you Summoned Cleaver and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned Cleaver, and whether/how you plan to make use of them.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of Cleaver when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about Cleaver, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving Cleaver (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving Cleaver), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Legendary Event Hero.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these three threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:thinking: Wondering About Your Personal Situation?

Feel free to discuss your team and roster here, and ask for advice from other Forum members.

If you’d like more extensive advice on sorting out your particular roster, I recommend creating a new thread in Gameplay Help & Tactics, and posting screenshots of your hero roster, along with your questions.

:link: Related Threads You May Be Interested In

4 Likes

Feedback Poll - Cleaver (post release)

:question: Is Cleaver worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re P2P
  • Yes, but only when featured.
  • Not really
  • Not at all

0 voters

:question: How many copies of Cleaver would be useful to keep & Level?

Note - this is roster space dependent & isn’t the same for everyone!

• Zero
  • Just one
  • All of them

0 voters

:question: What do you think Cleaver’s Primary Purpose is?

• Damage Dealer (Immediate)
  • Fiend Summoner
  • Attack Debuffer

0 voters

:question: What do you think of Cleaver compared to other Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

:question: How does Cleaver’s Special Skill and Intended Purpose match Cleaver’s Base Stats?

Note this means Cleaver’s Class, Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

:question: Is Cleaver worth giving Barbarian Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Depends on who else you got
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No I don’t think so
  • No
 Not at all.

0 voters

:question: In Defence, where do you think Cleaver is best used?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

:question: How do you think Cleaver is best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

Choose up to 3 options

:question: What do you think is Cleaver worth Limit Breaking ?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

:question: If you would emblem Cleaver then which Emblem Path would you select ?

• Sword path
    (Selecing Attack talent nodes when possible)
  • Shield path
    (Selecing Health and Shield talent nodes when possible)

0 voters

Well 
like everyone else
ofcourse I would love to have this guy but 
we shall have to see what the portal odds and gem cost are or if any deals are available and affordable

I feel like this hero misses up in special skill strenght or extra effect like smoll minions to all allies.

Unless fiends also help in lowering enemy attack down even further :slight_smile:

Sometimes single-gem pulls DO work out! I was hoping for Dawn but needless to say I stopped right here at 2 pulls! :+1:

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure that attack down is cleansable because it’s not attached to the fiends. If he had fiends like Elizabeth, he would be nasty. I think he’s gonna get a buff. His damage is also too low imho. That said, not sure how that insanely high attack on the fiends hit for. It could compensate but then you’re waiting for damage rather than getting it up front. The good thing is the speed could help you set off a ton of these fiends. I’m not sold on him. He’s not bad at all, just lacking a bit imho.

3 Likes

It is, just tested it. I will push him to 3:70 and then wait, how he will perform in PVP at this stage. He could be very nasty indeed with his passives. Fast Fiend-Summoners are a new thing or is there another fast one?

Edit: Totally forgot my Hannah :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hannah is nice but this guy summons fiend for everybody. Also the attack reduction is nice combo with fiend, as each hit of fiend should reduce attack further. And it lasts 4 turns, which is great at fast speed.

Also, got lucky on 3rd pull:

14 Likes

Congratulations ya’ll
excellent news :tada:

Cleaver is all about helping stall the enemy and a bit of delayed gratification via the fiends.
Dropping incoming damage to 1, 10% of the time is nice (delaying death), scaling attack down on the enemy (excellent, helping team survive), fiends with a damage that scales up to pretty serious levels, nice but delayed gratification.

Would partner brilliantly with Khepri if we have the “Delayed Gratification Team”.

From Beta testers would love to hear your thoughts. Feels like a bit more damage is needed or a bit more % chance to reduce damage to make him fearsome.

Elizabeth’s fiends do the mana interference and that IMO remains the benchmark for effectiveness.

Having the scaling attack down separate from the fiends does mean fewer heroes are immune to it and healing won’t clear it w/o a cleanser so that is probably a benefit (maybe?).

2 Likes

The original version in beta had no direct damage. We said that Cleaver really, really needed to have at least a little direct damage. The next version had this 100% damage to all added. At that point tester responses were mixed, generally in the range of “it’s good enough” to “needs just a little slight bit more damage”.

I expect that this portal will not get great $$$ numbers and SG will decide that the problem is this hero needs a buff, never once being willing to admit that the pull price is too high. So a buff seems likely to me.

I think we all universally felt Cleaver was a good support hero, though Cleaver is used best when paired as support for Ebba, not solo. And Ebba isn’t out yet. (For those that don’t know, Ebba is like a Pengi that relies upon fiends instead of minions to determine number of hits.)

12 Likes

Wish people wouldn’t spend gems on this portal and make a stand, but guess it is too much to ask. Whales gonna whale.

3 Likes

That’s never going to happen, because people are in different financial situations and for many the increase in cost isn’t going to affect their summoning behaviour. And the consequences aren’t dire enough for people to boycott (I mean they can just leave the game if they choose to right?). I guess end of the day, we can’t expect anything out of people nor can we judge them for why/how they choose to spend :thinking:

5 Likes

Of course it will never happen, but i’ll still state my wish so people can think more about it. I spend lots of money on this game, and I’m not going to summon on an increased cost portal that also only has two new 5* heroes with no way to gain coins on the side. Big pass
and I can afford it.

Thank you very much for the excellent insights.

The 100% does seem low in a game with fast AoE doing 270% on high attack stats.

I like Cleaver’s concept and should be an interesting hero, perhaps not OP but at least I can see how Cleaver can work well.

1 Like

This guy is pretty weak
the damage is negligible and the fiend damage is the same, weak. Not sure I get this guy. I mean the fiends do take 35% heal to wipe, so that’s ok I guess.

Mallix ep and another youtube video show what a limit broken and fully maxed cleaver can do. I see all the votes how people think this guy is really good but I’m pretty cheap to play and my options arent as good as some but i would find it very hard to justify giving this guy all those resources for such a small hit. You’d have to fire him a crazy amount of times to even hope to make a difference in a battle! The crazy thing is on defense you get an attack buff so on offense his hit is even weaker!!!

2 Likes

I think he’d go well with Lu Bu. He fires faster so his fiends would provide cover for Lu Bu’s fiends.

1 Like

Damage is weak but hes not weak, his previous version doesnt have a damage so we suggested to give him initial damage to give him more independence, hes made as a support not a nuker

I couldn’t resist and made about 20 pulls. Got Cleaver and Garnet. I’ll take him to 3/70 aand level Phenexa first. Is this the new Gravemaker? The damage isn’t that big, but he’s constantly firing and weakening the opponent.

4 Likes