Chat ban in the game- More warning, More transparency, More leniency

Because so many of the issues seem to come from chatters vs recruiters and what/where/how much they are doing of either one of those things, I truly believe one of the best ways to help some of this is to have a better alliance search. Right now you can only set it to cups required, open or invite.

If there was some way to add other things for use in some sort of search filter I think the frenzy in the game chat rooms would be decreased tremendously.

There could be things like cups, team power, player level, country/language, active or casual etc.

And agree with another idea someone posted, about some clear rules/guidelines, maybe posted as a popup when you click on the tab to enter that room, for the different chat rooms as to what is and isn’t allowed/acceptable.

10 Likes

The problem is that this is impossible to really regulate chat/content on a large scale without MASSIVE costs. SGG is a small team that wants to make games, not regulate chat and such for a game where a million people a day login and play.

The easiest way to accomplish anything like that with minimal costs and distractions from making games is to give a small team large hammers and tell them to whack anything that looks bad. The other option is to train a large team of surgeons and use precision scalpels, but that costs far too much and no one wants to do it.

These types of issues and costs are the reason there’s no in-game private messaging and why the forum software is set for only mods and staff to PM - they don’t want to have to deal with all the nanny behavior they’d have to do with that (unless they didn’t allow anyone under 18 as many countries have much stricter laws on private communications to minors).

4 Likes

Most people are not all one thing or all the other. It is entirely possible for nice, helpful people to say or do things from time to time which are very problematic.

I’m not saying that SG doesn’t make mistakes. I’m sure they have made some, with as many reports as they must get.

What I am saying, though, is that unless we actually witnessed the post(s) that resulted in staff action, it’s really hard to know whether the decision was a good or bad one.

4 Likes

Opportunity costs

^^^ This

You do not want to know some of the stuff that happens in whisper and PM on Book of Hero game app and forum software. And some poor Devs HAS to read that stuff.

Budgeted costs

Please, please, download Line, Discord, something and let a Dev team with time already Budgeted for this handle the situation.

Alliance Featured Message

P.S. I think the alliance Featured Message was a nice new feature. Especially since it is longer and you can include more alliance rules and Line groups, Discord servers and Facebook groups so list members can re establish contact.

4 Likes

Hello,

I totally agree with @Datootfary and @Traggeter. Yeah @Gryphonknight has his point. So to have discussion impartial, and also not to discuss about bans and keep it constructive here is my idea.

SG please make in each chat room short rules. What is allowed and what is not. Also in alliance recruitment room make 5 minutes ban for everyone who send message. That means after sending message, alliance and or something you can’t write next one for next 5 minutes. Ofc. you can change this time, this is just proposition. But with this solution you get three advantages. 1. No more free chatting in ARR. 2. Saves your time for watching and checking reports for spam. 3. Rules are obeyed for everyone and you can orient for banning for real bad things like racism or vulgar language. Please, just consider this.

6 Likes

I suspect that some people receive disciplinary measures for flooding ads; excessive offensive language; offensive player names; etc … but ignoring specific instances, you sometimes see excessive posts in Alliance Recruiting because the posts fly by.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. split alliance chat into: ‘purely recruiting’; ‘merc hangout’; and ‘recruiters only’
  2. limit ads programmatically to no more than one per minute (in ‘purely recruiting’ forums)
  3. post rules

There is a LOT of chatting going on… by separating the current chat forums, you can reduce the amount of stuff flies by. Make ‘purely recruiting’ be just that… ads, ad responses and related questions. No hi hi hi hi…

Make area for merc recruiting / hangout… people look for mercs… separate them out for less chatter in main recruiting forum. Have a place where Alliance Recruiters / friends can chat … no ads just chat…

Limiting ad posts programmatically will minimize having to block spammers (or those with absolutely no sense of color)… could even limit the number of posts into the Alliance Recruiting forum daily … 20 maybe?

Anyway, hopefully a few ideas… :blush:

3 Likes

Maybe call it a cool down.

This is actually brilliant. You should post in the idea section.

6 Likes

Recruiting is as much a part of the game as raids and wars are. People should not be banned for using Recruiting Ads in the recruiting room. Good Ads are short and sum up key points of what the alliance is looking for.

4 Likes

All of this stems from the fact that there is no good or reasonable way to actually recruit new members. SG has made being in an alliance basically mandatory to get a good experience, yet it is very hard to keep an alliance full. There is one tiny chat room for all of these alliances to try to find members. No one complains that General Chat or any of the other rooms are broken, because those are “if you don’t like it, stay out” situations. Sometimes you just have to jump into AR as distasteful as it is. While we certainly need new clear rules for AR (not just the same old list that’s been around since the beginning), a better recruiting method in general would solve all of this. I would say that from an alliance leader standpoint, the recruitment situation is the biggest problem the game has. When an alliance is at the top of the leaderboard, it’s not so hard to find new members. Those of us in the 300-1000 positions are all fighting for the same handful of mid-range members.

3 Likes

recruiting in AR can involve chatting too… but I agree with the overall point. I don’t really get why people get mad at ads in AR… it’s almost like there are other channels for conversations?

I don’t really care about off topic conversations myself, those are the people who are sometimes easiest to talk with. But I do think a clearer distinction on each room matters lol. To my knowledge, Off-Topic is basically 3 rooms: General, 20+ and … Off Topic lol. As for recruiting, I’ve noted that General and AR are usually just two channels for that. Occassionally you’ll see recruiting ads in 20+ and Off-topic that get bombarded with “GTFO” messages too, which imo are a bit dramatic but that’s how people feel

1 Like

A better recruiting method is key here. If anyone has any doable suggestions, this is the time and place to discuss it. Let’s work together as a community and come up with a viable solution.

1 Like

(As a player, not mod)…

While I recognize that AR needs to be 99% AR, players are human: we have questions, we greet each other, etc.

I think there needs to be a little wiggle room here. My 2 cents.

P.S. I think it’s high time Mercs got their own room. This is a logical add.

P.P.S. One complaint I hear over and over is the rush of huge color ads. I recognize that each alliance shows its creativity and uniqueness in its ads, but maybe these ads need to be shortened? What size ad is big enough? Too big?

10 Likes

Congratulations on getting new recruits your a great asset to your alliance.

I advertise in both AR and global never been banned probably blocked but ads aren’t flashy, works out 3 or 4 lines on chat, short and sweet. As the main recruiter I sympathize with you I have had to recruit continuously on a day cause recruits insist on doing a rotating door syndrome but have always paced myself on days like those, come back and forth throughout the day when its quiet. I personally have better things to do to than recruit on a system that only works if you grind.

1 Like

More limiting cap on in game messages would help. Not sure what the current limit is but there really isnt a solid reason to be able to write a small essay in a public in game chat room

When 1 message can take up a block of chat, it’s pretty excessive

When people can literally draw pictures in the amount of message space they have, they have too much space

Just my take on it. Recruiting ads should be limited to x amount of lines

I mean really how much space does it take to say:

“X-Team has x amount of spots, killing x titans, 100% war participation required and x amount of cups, taking players of x level”

Instead we have this:

"X TEAM HAS X AMOUNT OF SPOTS!

KILLING X TITANS!!

100% PARTICIPATION IN WARS REQUIRED!!

ACCEPTING PLAYERS OF X LEVELS!!

X AMOUNT OF CUPS REQUIRED

LINE ENCOURAGED

CHASING TOP 100

HIT TITAN DAILY

etc etc"

Never understood why such an easy fix to a problem was never put in place.

As far as the reporting issue, i see no easy fix. Period.
Limiting number of reports per player would be a step forward. But if you hit your limit, just make another accunt and hop into chat then use up the reports from that account on the same user the other one did, not a fool proof fix and would just lead to players opening up 5 accounts to continue to bully fellow players.

I don’t like all the bans and reportings that go on, i have never been banned but i rarely visit in game chat.

SG is a small team so i know the limiting factors they face with managing chat as Dante explained.

I have no idea on how to solve it without costing SG an arm and a leg but i haven’t seen any viable solution from others either.

More chat rooms will just create more problems, we’ve already seen that at least twice now that i can think of. Once when they made the individual rooms then again when they added the 20+ room.

Wont fix anything. Looking forward to reading more suggestions though and fingers crossed for as close to a fool proof solution as we can get

3 Likes

I agree with the mercs needing a room for themself. I know most of the mercs, but in the beginning it was’nt so. Always needed to ask “Are you a merc?” gets boring. So for the new players who trying to recruit some one and not knowing if it’s a merc or not is frustrating sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, i like mercs who help out alliances which have trouble defeating Titans. Most of them are nice people too.

4 Likes

For ingame chatrooms:

• shortened messages
  • merc room
  • clearer rules
  • #recruiting, to get in the recruit modus. #norecruiting, to go out of it. You need to #recruiting or something like that, to write in the recruit room. Could help to prevent people from chatting/spamming if they’re not recruiting
  • Maximum 1-10 reports a day or per hour?
  • Chat statuses: friendly chatter, spammer, helper etc.
  • A better alliance search: not only cups also TP, player level, language, titan stars and activity limitations etc.
  • You can just rename yourself 1 or 2 times ingame
  • Report more than one message from somebody so that spamming can be identified. Blocking somebody should be a different option
  • A 30-100 day inactive auto kick for alliance members, elders and even the leader

A 5 minutes ban is not a good idea because nobody where able to ask questions if Line or sth. else is not in use.

@Petri

Thank you for your suggestions community :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

I don’t changes to the chat rules really help the core problem of the recruit ads which is too many alliances struggling to stay at or near full.

I would guess a lot of the new alliances are formed by players that have left somewhere with a dead account stuck as leader. A 100 day inactive auto kick would hopefully cut down the number being made and kill off a bunch of trap alliances that newer players tend to fall into.

Better search options on titan star level, some general activity level indicators and language would help a lot too

Different option would be allowing alliances to cap their titan star level so they don’t get so desperate for members and can just float at a comfortable level with what they have

1 Like

auto kick and titan star level added :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

I don’t think reducing the message cap is the answer. Yeah you do see a lot of recruitment messages that look like Rigs’ example but there’s nothing malicious to it, these people posting them just want to be noticed in the crowd, and you can just block them without reporting as spam if you personally don’t want to see it.
Peer Support sees a lot of the same questions repeated dozens of times a day that require the same, (moderately) lengthy answers and some people there make well formatted guides that can be copy/pasted and are appreciated by people asking questions and other users who are there to help, such as; how to level up troops, which stages can you farm combos of X&Y season 2 avatar, which 2/3* heroes should be kept for raid challenges/events etc
If message length caps were lowered they wouldn’t be able to use them, and if they were lowered only in AR then ad spam in other rooms would creep up.

Also, it doesn’t address the issue that AR does have an underlying playground mentality where users are reporting one-another because they don’t like that person, not because of the actual content they’re posting. I know enough of us here have seen the infraction lists from SG sent to either themselves or their friends that show friendly, helpful, non-malicious and non-spam messages that have been reported and the ban hammer has been dropped, seemingly without being reviewed properly.

3 Likes

(The language options would confuse many because often mature alliances don’t use their actual language flag.)

Many great suggestions here so far!

2 Likes