Censorship of English slang words

I believe that Small Giant is based in Finland.

We can curse in other languages when our language is set to English. We used to be able to change our language setting to other language so that we could curse in English, but that doesn’t work anymore.

I googled that, Serbian? What language setting would that be?

Can’t you use swear words by leaving a letter out and putting a space or line or asterisk there? I see that in comment sections frequently.

1 Like

I think that will have to be the solution for some of us that are being censored, but it still doesn’t answer the question.

1 Like

I think this has come up recently in the forum, so I wonder if something had changed? Perhaps it’s only affecting recent selections?

1 Like

At one point, they even use Indonesian slang word as emblem class in Indonesian language… :joy:

They changed it after I put in complaint ticket.

3 Likes

I curse like a sailor. Everyone in our alliance is an adult. Treat us as such. Because some people don’t like swear words, you punish alliances that have no issue with it. Ourb alliance had been together for 1.5 years to 2 years and we get censored when we don’t want to be. Don’t like an alliance that swears… Leave. Go fund a family friendly alliance, but don’t punish ADULTS. What I find funny about this game. Swear words are a no no, but gambling is A-OK with them… Yeah, that makes perfect sense. :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Sounds interesting. Please elaborate. I am always interested in other languages. I find slang to be quite fascinating. I’m not a ‘dirty word’ person, but I am a fan of my American 1st amendment to free speech.

1 Like

I am
Against censoring free speech.

1 Like

Just a guess…many English slang words are used worldwide. hence they might be censored in other languages as well…e.g. in German we also say the “F”-word…

1 Like

I agree with you. Gambling is a tough thing to resist when playing this game, so I should have the right to say whatever the ■■■■ I want when I get a bunch of dawas on a ten pull!

4 Likes

Here it is:

1 Like

We tested a few different language settings and found one that allows English swears so just go trial and error. My alliance is 18+ and invite only so no reason people shouldn’t be able to express how they want to imo.

1 Like

How can you be sure that every teammate is 18+? Do you all know them personally?

I work with kids. 8 to 9 years old to be specific. They say stuff that even takes my breath away. Get outta here with you gotta 18+ to say a bad word.

4 Likes

We speak to every member via a discord chat before they join and make it clear our alliance is 18+ and to get a feel for the person but you are correct, no way of knowing for sure but then what’s the difference from clicking a little button that says “yes I’m 18” to enter an adult site ? We make it clear there is adult language and topics and expect people to make an informed decision on whether the alliance is right for them. Anyone who lies to come into an 18+ empires alliance has probably seen a lot worse than the occasional f word :wink:

2 Likes

Was going to post exactly the same thing…

While I’m not against censoring “naughty” words in a general open forum like this, the whole idea that people under the age of 18 have never heard those words before is absolutely preposterous. Chat censors are not “protecting” their “precious innocent little eyes and ears” from anything that they haven’t already seen and heard a million times already.

I occasionally cuss like a sailor myself, but there are certain words I will not tolerate in my alliance (though a lot depends on context). I personally do not care if someone in my alliance says “this @#$%ing titan is a @#$%ing @#$%@#$ piece of @#$%”. That type of speech I approve of. :+1:

Because: context. I think we can all agree that the titan is a @#$%ing @#$%@#$ piece of @#$%, as most titans are.

Very different situation if those words are directed at another alliance member, or the words could be construed as an offensive slur against a particular group of people.

Freedom of speech, yes. But I also have freedom of kick button.

6 Likes

I’m not going to confirm or deny actual knowledge of this, but I’ve heard that there’s essentially a cool down period when you switch languages.

So if you want to swear in English, switch it to literally anything else, and in 24-48 hours, all of your naughty words should appear with no ****s.

1 Like

Yes, we had his discussion a while ago. New alliances were not able to. Then a few weeks after the thread we could again.
Tylersykins (see above)May be correct. But I do not know.
We had tried every language available when they set up the new alliance. So maybe it is a time thing.