Censoring can go too far

Relevant link

In general, there is no good way to ever prevent people from using obscenities. It’s up to E&P staff to decide, how far their censorship goes into impeding communication. But since you can just change the official language to Japanese and get rid of censorship entirely, it’s kind of a moot point.

1 Like

4 Likes

I figured out that it censors the word “assess”, but not the word “assessment”. Evaluate is a good alternative too, though. :+1:

Except that you can no longer just change the language.Believe it must be grandfathered in. We tried. We’ve gone through every single one on the list.
It’s just irksome. In private chat being treated like a child…
Like all parts of the game, those of us left are having fun “puzzling” out how to get around it. But it slows the flow for sure, and that lessens the fun.

I hadn’t heard that it’s been changed. I wonder if other players can test this somehow. New alliances are being formed all the time so hopefully someone will report back to us.

1 Like

Exactly Free!
New alliances, 2 that I know of right now,(3 counting Free follying ‘s above) can’t have the freedom of speech between adults. That is why I came looking for info.
This thread was all I could find. I will follow up about the ticket they sent in, maybe it’s a bug?
Rarely do people I know cuss, but yes, during frustrating wars, or sometimes in excitement! Either way…adults. Treat us as such.

1 Like

No swearing seems to just be an element of our alliance. When someone does we are usually smart enough to fill in the boxes… :grinning:

We got a good case of censorship the other day.
Titan had 717 health left typed it into chat and got “*** left on titan” in game.
We still not sure why as the only thing google could tell us is 717 is a angel number of awaking.
:dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:
It’s trying to tell us something

2 Likes

It used to allow a s s h a t even without the spaces. Funny it bans assess!

1 Like

717 bears a resemblance to the name for a certain bird, or a slang term for the secondary female sexual characteristics.

In other words, what Elena has behind her breastplate.

That level of censorship is absolutely ridiculous.

5 Likes

Must have worked! Last week we noticed we could again say certain words! Thank you!!!

1 Like

A blue footed booby?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Not quite…

They’re just birds…

3 Likes

I can’t respond to this post because it will breach the terms and conditions that I have read 23 times.

1 Like

Trying to curb language when you can just switch to Japanese and fulfill your dream of becoming a lexical sailor is just weird.

Especially since they’re going as far as scrubbing out number combinations mildly similar to not even remotely offensive terms.

But I guess they need to keep up that age rating somehow… until EU recognises it as gambling and puts it on a mandatory 18+ rating.

Wasn’t me, but others did ask. 8m glad it has worked out. My friends new alliance is also able to now speak freely.
They had tried all the foreign language tricks. Nothing works, then, All of a sudden viola!
I thank SG for clearing this up.

Whoever thought up the list is a complete 717. Next thing we’ll have calculators that don’t let you do any sum with the answer 5318008, or cars which skip the mileage 80085, just in case somebody somewhere gets offended.

(I’ve never tried any of these things by the way, honest guv)

3 Likes

Am I the only one amused that they make a useless “language” tag and then make it useful only to circumvent their just as useless censoring?

But actual QoL needs go unmet…

1 Like

No, it’s useful to actually find an alliance that speaks the same language as you if it’s set right. This is an actual issue for some people that don’t have a couple billion people that speak their language with some degree of proficiency.

1 Like

I can’t search alliances by the language tag, but I can read the alliance name and description – which are likely to be in the language of the alliance (which will be set to something completely different so alliance members can cuss)

Cookie Settings