Captain Kestrel, Is he really not good?

A Falcon+Kestrel duo is powerful. Fire Falcon first.

Birds of a feather…

3 Likes

Kestrel

Kestrel makes a good third or fourth 5* red. The problem is Kestrel has little synergy/ does not work extraordinary well together with other 4*/ 5* heroes.

4* vs. 5*

I would say this is true for 3* 3.50 and 4* 3.60, but I strongly disagree on 5* heroes due to Hero XP cost, emblem cost for 5/5 talent, and 3* ascension item cost.

Since 4* heroes are the backbone of Empires, and use vastly less resources than 5* 4.80, or 5*+20, they are often the better bet.

Comparing

But, Kestrel is a nice 5* hero half way between Azlar’s Attack stat for matching/ board/ physical damage and Marjana’s Defense stat for surviving.

Kestrel’s Special skill does work best under play control, so not as useful as Azlar or Marjana on defense.

Notes

3* to 4* ascension item ratio
Yearly Hero XP
1 Like

Agreed, which is why my original comment for the OP was to finish scarlett first and worry about kestrel after :slight_smile:

The comment about making do, and leveling something decent today was for my own situation. I have 3 maxed 4* purples (rigard, sabina, gafar), and tibs and cyprian at 3-60 . I have waited awhile for something “better” aka sartana, and after getting obakan #3 and no other dark 5* heroes I think it’s fair enough to level him because there may or may not be anything else coming. When I get more gloves I may put him on hold and finish Tibs but I don’t actually use him that much. Poor Tibby.

Edit: and my main bench problem at the moment is lacking hitters. Obakan is not the best hitter but he’s a bird in hand and my other dark options at the moment are a second sabina or ameonna, neither of which fit the bill better.

1 Like

Obakan

Personally, Okakan is my favorite Classic 5* purple for a first rainbow 5* 2.60 team. He has fast mana speed Splash damage ( good for questing and defense teams), he has fast mana speed reflect damage ( nice for raiding and titans ).

My wife loves him raiding:

5* Synergy with 4* / 5*

This is a great example of 5* synergy with 4* heroes.

His low defense increases reflect damage, Rigard can heal 42% and Cleanse him, Tiburtus lowers enemy defense stat so Obakan does more damage ( physical & special skill), Cyprian adds reflect damage to two others, while Hansel ( with fast mana speed) can protect himself with special skill defense and the whole team with special skill control.

Edit:

Her defense team is all 5* 4.80 heroes.

Ameonna

Ameonna is designed to be an anti- reflect damage hero. I am taking her to 4* 3.60 to go with my Rigard 4* 4.70 and 4* 3.60 purple heroes ( 2nd Rigard, Tiburtus, 1st & 2nd Sabina, still no Cyprian ).

4* Purple in hand

If I don’t get Proteus soon, I might take Ameonna to 4* 4.70 to unlock Sorcerer ( Delay, a good match with her Special skill) or Tiburtus to 4* 4.70 to unlock Ranger ( Pierce is unreliable versus reflect damage, unlike Ameonna, but nice against defense buffs especially protection from purple).

1 Like

probaly none of the pirate heroes worth being leveled to max. Except to Cabin Boy Peters. hope it helps. save ur materials for some more solid heroes

Kestrel was just reclassed as Rogue instead of Barbarian. This is a material improvement to Kestrel, as the Rogue Dodge was one of my favorites in beta. It’s like a minor version of Inari’s special, applying only to the upfront damage from a special. Still, incredibly nice (or annoying, depending on which side of the board you’re on).

1 Like

I would ask you to look at Lady Locke. Tile damage, huge DOT, cleanses…

2 Likes

In fact she is a nice hero but there are other greens to care about. At least for me…

She is worth max.

Still not a ranger

Kestrel works excellent with 4* heroes like Peters and Proteus

Mana freeze almost full mana heros and you have plenty of time to fire at these heroes with Kestrel - he is only bad when his mana is full but enemy (slow) heroes have their mana bar still at low level.

1 Like

What do you guys think of a team consisting of Wilbur, Buldtusk, G. Falcon, C. KESTREL and Tarlak, wouldn’t it be great for events and quests when you get to the last level with your heroe’s mana full?

This team would definitely synegize well, not sure how well but if I ever get Falcon I will dust off Kestrel to test, if it works well might even feed him with rings :wink:

Well, you’ll have your chance in April to get some great elemental defense debuffers🙂 looking forward to see that combo in action

I know I’m late to this conversation but I’ve just recently confronted ascending and leveling up the good captain. I’m not really sure how people can say he’s not any good. Is he a superstar? Well, no, just no. Is he good as a second to a superstar or with any other red hero or as a mid to late war participant when you’re just looking to add to your point total? Absolutely! My thoughts are, if it’s between him and someone like Gravedigger then of course it’s Gravedigger. But 5 stars are not easy to get, especially the coveted ones, and if you leave Kestrel on the bench waiting for a superstar like Gravedigger you may be waiting quite awhile and denying yourself the benefits of his services. Besides, more rings and tomes will come. They may not come as quickly as you’d like, but they will come.
Reminds me of an ancient Chinese proverb I heard in some movie: Man, or woman, who waits with mouth open for roast chicken to fall from sky waits a very long time.

6 Likes

Can you post his maxed card as a memory refreshment?

727 attack 702 defense 1353 HP. I found two different cards for him with slightly different stats though. The other one lists him with 721 A 696 D and 1339 HP. I’m not sure which one is right since mine is only at 4-28, (lvl 28 in the last tier). Only 52 more levels to go to have him maxed!

His stats are closest to gm as you’ll get for a hit 3 red that applies same damage to all 3 like gm does

really all he lacks is the v fast mana, the DoT, extra damage vs greens, and elemental link

kestrel does more initial damage on impact than gm, probly more comparable to a red drake without the blind

if i get him, i may give him rings. my only fast red 5 damage heroes are zim and marjana, and he does more damage to multiple than either. so would also be a good compliment to the 2. even if he hits 3 that have 0 mana he doesnt do much less than drake with potential to do more if they have mana

7 Likes

In looking at these two side by side I’m even more puzzled that the Captain gets such a bad rap by some unless there’s some intangible here that I’m just not getting. I mean sure, GM has more bells and whistles but CK is by no means going to lay down and expose his vitals for ravaging by ones opponents.

His only downfall is no burn or blind like the other 2. He’s just a raw damage hero and that’s it. So that’s why he gets a bad rep. Thing is idk if anyone counted how many fast mana red damage heroes there are but i can only think of 2.

If he was any color i could see a stronger argument for not maxing but being red he’s one of 3 options for red damage hero above average mana. Zim damage isn’t really enough to be considered an option.

3 Likes

He could decrease red defense by 54% on targets with 100% mana.

2 Likes