Can we discuss Aegir

I don’t want this to turn into a Guinevere bashing post as we have several on the forums but you have valid points. The point now is to bring awareness to the developers. If the players don’t contribute constructively it takes far longer for them to see there maybe an issue.

This brings us back to what can be done to assist Aegir without making him a must have to compete like other heroes who I shall not name?

1 Like

Isn’t Aegir the best Blue tank available so far, though?
Isn’t Aegir on par with Ares, though?

1 Like

God no he is far from being the best blue tank. Given the choice of Aegir and Boril (a 4* blue) I would take Boril.

While people would argue what is “the best <insert color/roll here>” you have Thorne, Richard, Magni, king Arthur, that you would be much better off with than Aegir.

1 Like

aegir is not on par with ares. I don’t even see a comparison:

richard is probly only regular blue 5* i would tank with

outside of regular blue 5* alasie would be next choice and maybe even a first choice over richard

Yeah, it is probably the best blue tank so far but no, it is not like Ares.
Ares increase your damage output, making your team stronger for the time the buff is on.
Aegir do not do that. He merely take time for your team to charge. So for the time the buff is on the other heroes are not more dangerous.

I don’t really think he is “useless” and people who have him should invest on him if they want a good cups range.

Sadly he has 2 weak spots.
First: dispel. Green is really full of dispellers and all top players have Zeline. And she literally make him worthless.

Second: he is meant only for defence. I mean, the attack healing is huge and make your team quite invincible, but thats good only raiding. All best titan/event hitters go for the attack rather then defence, so no one would use him there.

So investing in a hero good only tanking have another very possible consequence: the very moment another better tank come out it makes him useless.

Thats the case for Guinevre. The very moment a better central appear Guinevre simply cease to be a must have hero and became a useless one.

2 Likes

Aegir and Ares are similar, though Ares at least guarantees one tick of healing. But note that Ares isn’t seen much as a tank these days with the advent of 5* dispellers.

One problem with Aegir is the Heal-from-damage (HFD) concept. Someone in SGG thinks this is a powerful skill, but the player base hates it. Leonides, Elkanen, Musashi—all are hated on or (in the case of Musashi) viewed as solid for reasons other than HFD. I’ve used Musashi a lot, and other than titans I can’t recall HFD ever making a difference—though it’s a subtle skill to gauge.

One problem with HFD, especially on defense, is that heroes don’t attack every round. It’s entirely likely that a hero won’t get a single HFD point from Aegir because (a) they fired their special instead of using their slash or (b) the are left of Aegir and slashed in the same round that Aegir casts.

Extending at least the HFD to 4 rounds would help. Another idea might be to share HFD across the link, as well as damage.

Another issue I have with Aegir is that spirit link without a defense debuff can hurt more than help. Consider Wilbur, who casts a link on foes to hurt them. A low-defense neighbor to Aegir creates a way of inflicting a lot of damage to him. If he casts when one or more of his allies has a defense debuff, all the worse.

To fix this, I think Aegir ought to have a modest defense buff(say 30% like Kiril) to clear any defense debuff and make the link an asset… alternatively he could have a cleanse on self and nearby.

12 Likes

I can figure that players could make good use of him on titans, expecially against the rare tiger.

This could be fixed by simply extending his life link from 3 (himself and 2 nearest allies to the entire team, evenly distributing the damage received. This may also make up for heroes under this effect being dispelled quicky or not getting a chance to take advantage of the effect. You are likely to get at least one of 5 heros to utilize the ability vs 3 it uses now. Even if a hero has a cleanse at least you would have a better chance with a single round proc.

1 Like

There’s already kiril who can defend and even boost your attack.

I honestly don’t see myself switching him (615 attack) for Kiril, Isarnia, Athena, Alasie, Magni Perseus or even Grimm (all of them 700+ attack apart Kiril, but he has the boost).

Even more funny, i would not put him in place of Boril, as riposte against high level titans is incredibly good (i switched a full Azlar with an almost full Elena, and it’s crazy better)

almost sounds like you suggest he be restored to his original version or am i misreading?(been awhile since i have seen the original but I’m pretty sure he had a kiril type buff back then)

I liked his original build far better, even at slow mana.

3 Likes

He is far, far from being the best blue tank, I would also prefer Boril over him.

Even Isarnia, a regular 5* would be a better tank than him.

@Streets is right, I also have Aegir, and even when he is my first 5 :star: hero at all, I can´t find any single position, in attack or defense, where he could be a major improvement.

I think even Gunnar, a simple 3 :star:, has a better spirit link than him, it covers all the team, lasts 5 turns and comes with 63% defense increase.

3 Likes

Kiril would be the easier to replace but maybe I find it interesting only due my lack of good bue heroes…
And you just make me come in mind a question: would shared damage be able to be counterattacked?

I only have Obakan and Elena out of these five but it could be interesting to battle this team

me too i was actually excited for his release. then slowly watched him get cut down to this 4* version we have now. I’m trying to figure out how we ended up with a 4* red with similar skills that is far more useful than a 5* hotm, a bit humorous really

3 Likes

i think the move back to making tanks slow mana is probably the best bet for the game at this point, sure average mana is nice but if a hero has to be chopped down this much to keep that mana speed then it does more harm than good.

2 Likes

Yeah, SG backed themselves into a design corner and then had to release him as a bad hero. My suggestion back in beta was to give him the defense equivalent of berserker’s fury instead of the defense vs nature. Just a 10% defense buff on cast, but increasing by 5% each time the hero is hit up to 50%. Note that this buff would clear any existing defense debuffs, and would trigger on all 3 heroes when any get hit due to spirit link. I’d also reduce the HFD back to 50% and increase the duration of all effects back to 4 turns.

5 Likes

I have to disagree. I get where you’re coming from, but the “fast” and “very fast” arms race we’re in with all the damage dealers just eats up tanks that are slow. SG got themselves into a real problem when they started releasing all these fast heroes.

1 Like

We already see that 2 heroes meant as central do not sinergy very well if one of them must be on another position.

We already see that the first time people tried an Ares-Guinevre-Alberich trio in beta, on paper unbeatable but in reality not so good.
Almost everyone prefer one solid tank and four fast snipers right now.

Thats the only way to win on defence even if someone manage to take down easily Guinevre.
Otherwise is the attacker who win for sure.

1 Like

possibly. but then again if each nerfed tank was unnerfed and made slow, i think it would be tough even for all fast mana especially since the defenses use fast mana as well and defense teams get a mana boost already from my understanding. think it was something ot 20% which is just shy of maxed mana troops

1 Like