Can we discourage the "titan hoppers?"

Right - you need to recruit people you want. Keep it invite only and choose who to bring in.

Or allow alliance leaders and Co-leaders to “offer laurels” to Titan helpers that qualifies them for the rewards

Something should be done to keep or encourage this cool new social part of the game.

I’ve been in 5 or 6 alliances who were basically begging for help on global chat w 6-7 star titans escaping in under 30 minutes without help - and I’ve killed or helped kill each Titan and met some lovely folks from Bulgaria, California, Russia, Australia… its been really rewarding for me and given that the alliance structure seems to be a distinguishing factor taking E&P above many other apps for many players, this is a good thing with lots of potential if they can quell the abuse

2 Likes

I understand your point and you sound like you were respectful about the whole thing. I wish there were more like you, like I mentioned we had one and that was fun, he even stayed for the next titan. It doesn’t seem to be the norm though.

I don’t think we should feel forced to close memberships though, hell I joined this alliance because it was open and worth checking out. Step in, have a look around, it’s an open invitation that we enjoyed.

2 Likes

Um… FYI

• I’ll just repeat myself - Mercs who join after the titan has spawned get reduced loot
  • A+ loot is nothing to write home about most times. My alliance is hitting 13* titans and our A+ hitters rarely get 4* AMs. They drop more often in C loot for my alliance. But that’s another tangent altogether.
2 Likes

It means a lot to us.

Edited to add: no disrespect, but you’re talking about 4* mats when I’ll be excited for my next compass so I can finally max my third 4*. We’re not top players.

3 Likes

I believe the analogy is the same, regardless of what level titan you’re facing. A+ loot gets more “stuff” but there’s no guarantee of good stuff.

The mercs you are referring to here…

wouldn’t have “taken” much at all.

Apologies OP for being off topic.

Edit:

From Version 22 release notes:

If a player joins an Alliance after the Titan has already spawned, the player will get reduced loot from that Titan

So in this case, will A+ still be statistically better?! I think not, although that’s just my opinion, taking into consideration the version 22 update :thinking:.

No guarantee but the “stuff” is statistically better…

The only reason it seems that more “good stuff” drops for B & C grade is because there are more people who get B & C grade…

I.e. if you have a sample pool of 1x per event vs. 100 per event, you are obviously going to get more reported “successes” from the 100 than the 1…

Link to evidence:

5 Likes

I have “alliance hopped” a few times. But I don’t just join a random alliance. I go to the global chat and there are always alliances that actively ask for help. Those are the ones I join. That way I am helping, not intruding. And we both get a titan count. Everyone’s happy.

5 Likes

If people are alliance jumping for the sake of PoV, they don’t necessarily care about titan loot, they may just need titan bodies to fill up the “Defeat Titans” box. I’m glad our alliance is “invite only” even if we’re fighting titans at the edge of our abilities

1 Like

OK, but that A+ loot would be full value if it stayed in the alliance. The best loot box for that titan was downgraded and then taken away by what was essentially a poacher. I’m glad they got reduced loot, but they certainly aren’t concerned with it, they just want the body count. Of course there’s no guarantee of good stuff, everything in this game is about the chance of good stuff, and that chance was taken away from us.

2 Likes

I posted this in another thread, so apologies for repeating myself, but my gripe with this whole mercing scenario is not so much hitting the titans, but players parking themselves in an alliance, waiting for a rare titan and then taking part in their alliance war. We’ve been decimated the past several wars because of this and in one case, twelve of the opposing members deserted immediately after the war was over.

Google translation added by @zephyr1

In certain situations they help to kill the Titan. However, they put as a stage of the tournament to kill the Titan that is increasing the stars. After tournament everything goes back to normal

Original (Portuguese)

Em determinadas cituacoes eles ajudam a matar o Titan. Porém colocaram como fase do torneio matar o Titan que vai aumentando as estrelas. Após torneio tudo volta ao normal

Please note that per Forum Rules, the official language of the Forum is English. You’re welcome to post in any language in Foreign Languages. In all other sections, posts must be translated to English before posting. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Unless they are there when it dies they don’t reap the benefits. And unfortunately unless there is a stipulation added like having to be there when the titan spawns or something, I dont see much that can fully stop it. It’s very sad that some people have given mercing such a bad rep. My alliance goes and mercs some but we only go where we are asked and the few times I’ve went and helped kill titans the alliance we went to were very grateful for the help.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you had this experience. I’m very fond of the Merc who rides in to save the day—at your request—not keen on someone who gatecrashes against your will.

Perhaps SG will alter the POV in the future to fix this sort of thing, but I don’t want to see normal mercs punished any further than they have been over the last few years…they provide a needed service and I don’t want to see them vanish. Unwanted gatecrashers? They can go bye bye.

Good luck!

5 Likes

That’s where the “hopping” comes into play, most of our visitors would only hit it if they could kill it. They’d wait a few minutes for rewards to come out and bail.

Speaking for myself at least, this isn’t the case. The difference to me is whether the titan hunter was invited or not. Mercs are invited, poachers are not. It’s cool to hit it with us while you test drive the alliance, or the veteran player who was just traveling around to visit small clans and offer advice, those are some reasons why we liked having it open. Honestly I hope we could get to that place again, it’s fun, it’s the kind of interesting social aspects that Halifax was talking about above.

3 Likes

I don’t think closing the alliance to “Invite only” is a good solution. As I commented elsewhere, new players want to check in an alliance before settling in, what titan they hunt, how they did in the last war, how they communicate, what is their war strategy, etc. Many times there are good reasons why people leave an alliance they just joined.

The best solution, in my opinion and experience, is engage newcomers and communicate with them. They may well lie and pretend they’re there to stay but usually you can tell if they’re legitimately interested or not.

I hopped in two different alliances recently for the PoV titan hunt and both times I told them right away why I was there. I asked if they had a problem with me hitting their titan, asked if they had any rules in places, I asked if we had to wait for everyone to hit, and both times I felt welcomed. We even exchanged advice and in the end, when I left, we agreed I could come back anytime I needed to. In one alliance I even suggested to call for backup since we were falling behind and they agreed so I had friends join me from my own alliance. All in all, it was a pleasant experience for all of us.

And that’s my advice. Engage newcomers, and try to gauge why they are there. If they ignore you while hitting the titan, or if they give you short answers without asking questions that a genuine recruit would ask, just kick them. Or better yet, wait till they use their flags and then kick them and close your alliance temporarily. Far as I know, you don’t get a credit for a titan kill if you’re not an alliance member at the time of the kill. I think it’s simpler than closing your door to everyone.

1 Like

Thanks Rook, we got it figured out and are actually a better team at the end of it all because of the changes we felt forced to make. There’s probably a greeting card here somewhere about the light at the end of the tunnel, but it really was pretty lame for a while and we had to make some hard choices. I think we’re just more lucky than “good” that those choices worked out. (moving recruiting to the forums seemed to help immensely, btw - yay forum!)

2 Likes

Hate the game not the player.

PoV last titan quest is a must do if you want to get the last reward. I’m one of this hoppers, where as before I used to be in an alliance where we were farming 9/10* Titans. But nowadays, I’m in a low level alliance where I help new players and we barely kill 5* (depending if they spawn at day or night). I can complete all the other Pov quest no problem but with the way this event was made, it’s impossible to do Titan kills alone after the first *'s w/o going full refill on everysingle one.

For all is worth, I feel like ■■■■ hopping here and there while getting warm welcomes. And like other ppl said, this uglyass phenomenon is not caused because ppl want loot: which is heavily nerfed anyways.

1 Like

Recruiting is a pain as well have people come in thinking that there to merc the titan.

Not necessarily. Maybe if they pop in at the very end for cleanup it may help. But if it was a low level alliance with a low level titan, and the mercs kill the titan early before the regular alliance members get a chance to hit, then that doesn’t help reach the PoV goals, and they’ve lost the opportunity for a titan kill.

3 Likes

I have said before… if you are a regular player… hits every day… in a tiny alliance that is not doing 5/6 titans you cannot complete this challenge unless you either merc yourself (as I have done with my alt that is in this situation) or use mercs to get up to 6* artificially.

My solution is to remove the titan* requirement. If it is just requiring regular Titan kills , increasing at each POV level, it will reduce the ever-increasing numbers of people looking for “Titan level 6” or above. Just check General chat to see how common these postings are now!

4 Likes