Can we come up with a better way to handle foreign language posts?

This is how. 20 translation tools.

3 Likes

Exactly…so pop your reply into it too!

I’m trying not to use a flag :crazy_face: :clap::clap::clap:

2 Likes

For me personally I try to always edit the posts to include a translation. Both when I spot them first on a thread AND when a flag comes through.

It’s always going to happen tho even when using the chrome/ apple translation extensions… if you forget to enable the reverse translation of your comment it ends up having the same effect.

As an update, I used this response earlier today in a PM. It was modified though as I also had to explain the forum rules as there were 3 f-bombs and a “donkey” reference, plus another blocked word. All this is just 3 lines - quite impressive.

So sometimes if a foreign language post is hidden, there’s more to the story. :wink:

5 Likes

lmao, of course!

I’ve seen a few of us make the suggestion in threads too, not sure if any of them have been effective though. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry :confused:

2 Likes

I always check out flagged post but I suspect I know the two you are referring to. They deserved deletion imo.

1 Like

Okay I’ll go ahead and throw in my 2 cents here.

With a full disclosure: English is my primary language. I only know a tiny bit of Spanish, French, and Portuguese (not enough to carry on a conversation, but enough to recognize a few words here and there).

Yes this is an English speaking forum. As is my alliance. I’d have a very hard time communicating with someone who didn’t have at least a limited knowledge of the English language (hell, sometimes it’s hard enough communicating with people for whom English is their first language, but that’s a different story…)

As a Murican myself, I know the common perception is that we all believe the world revolves around us. And many of us do believe exactly that, and for good reasons - not at all bragging here, but the reality is that the U.S. carries a lot of weight in the world… economically, diplomatically, militarily, etc. That’s just the reality. Doesn’t mean everyone else has to like it. Hell, I’m not always a big fan of it myself. It’s a great big world with lots of different people in it, and I feel a little uncomfortable knowing that my nation has been unofficially declared as the decider/dictator for everything that goes on in the rest of the world. :neutral_face:

Two reasons I don’t like it: one, it puts a lot of pressure on us. Two: it marginalizes people in other nations. And I personally believe that all people should be treated equally, regardless of where they were born, what currency they use, or what language they speak.

So, getting back to the original topic… I have seen so many posts on here instantly flagged simply because they were posted in the “wrong” language. And that annoys me. I know, someone else might say, “why does it annoy you? the forum language is English, they knew that coming in, it’s their fault, and wouldn’t you prefer it if they posted something you actually understood?” Well yes. I’d very much prefer it if I could understand what they’re trying to say. But to simply flag them outright without warning or asking for a translation is, in my opinion, outright language discrimination. And that alone shouldn’t be an immediate flag-worthy offense.

On the other hand though… yes, as pointed out, sometimes people intentionally use other languages in order to post offensive things in an attempt to bypass the normal filters.

Yeah, that’s right, I’m looking at you folks who have responded to my posts in other languages, thinking I won’t know that you’re calling my mother a dog or whatever… puleeeze. It’s 2020, I have access to Google translate like everybody else. :roll_eyes:

Those posts should absolutely be flagged and deleted.

3 Likes

Ok one came through with their own translation
1 for 1 here so far :+1:

1 Like

I know @TGW is gone now, but witnessed an hilarious post by someone from the USA the other week: "What is wrong with British people and the way they use English? Don’t they know that English came from America?"

2 Likes