📯 By-Ulf – New Season 3 Hero – 3* Nature/Green: Thoughts, Discussion & Summon Results with Feedback

New Season 3 Hero Released: By-Ulf!

:bar_chart: Stats

By-Ulf

Rarity Element Class Mana Speed
:star::star::star:
Rare
:leaves:
Nature/Green
Paladin
A
Average
Level Attack Defense Health

3/50
:crossed_swords:
:shield:
:heart:
3/55 494 506 981
3/60 610 625 1212
Origin Realm
Season 3 Niflheim
Image Aether Power Description
special-armor Special Armor At the start of each battle, this Hero gets +40% defense against Special Skills for 6 turns.
In battles with multiple waves, the effect is refreshed at the beginning of each wave.
:dizzy: Special Skill: Hollow Boast
  • The caster and nearby allies get +48% attack for 4 turns.
  • The caster and nearby allies get +46% defense for 4 turns.
  • The caster and nearby allies regenerate 612 HP for 4 turns.
  • After 4 turns the caster gets negative status effects.
    The negative status effects that the caster gets after 4 turns are:
  • The caster gets -34% attack for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.
  • The caster gets -34% defense for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.
  • The caster gets -24% mana generation for 4 turns. This effect can’t be dispelled.
All-In-One Reference, courtesy of @Lumi
tap on image to view it fully

:test_tube: Changes from Beta

There appear to be no changes to By-Ulf from his last-seen Beta stats, skill, and design.

:thought_balloon: What do you think of By-Ulf?

This thread is for thoughts and discussion on By-Ulf.

Based on preferences Forum members have expressed, please try to stick mainly to By-Ulf and not wander off topic too much to other heroes.

Some Popular Questions for Discussion

• Is By-Ulf worth summoning for?

• Would you use By-Ulf on Defense? Offense? War? Quests/Events? Titans?

• Which heroes on your Roster best pair with By-Ulf?

• What heroes would you take when facing By-Ulf as an opponent?

• Would you give By-Ulf Paladin Emblems? Which Talent Grid path will you choose?

• What do you think of By-Ulf’s special?

• What do you think of By-Ulf’s character design?

• If you Summoned By-Ulf and would like to post your results, please include some thoughts on why you Summoned By-Ulf and whether/how you plan to make use of him.*

*NOTE: Summon Results posted without any commentary/feedback at all should be flagged as Off Topic and removed, based on preferences expressed by the Forum community. Please include some comments about what you think of By-Ulf when posting Summon Results. In addition to opinions about By-Ulf, you are also encouraged to include how many Summons it took before receiving By-Ulf (or how many Summons you’ve done without receiving By-Ulf), so other players are presented with realistic experiences of the rarity of Season 3 Heroes.

:money_with_wings: Avoiding Overspending & Heartache :broken_heart:
Or: How many summons are needed to get a Valhalla Rare Hero?

It’s important to remember that Season 3 Valhalla Heroes have EXTREMELY low summoning odds. No amount of summoning will guarantee a Season 3 Hero.

On average, in a 10-pull, you have a 41% chance of summoning By-Ulf.

But that statistic can lead our minds astray in exactly how our odds play out as we continue summoning.

Some useful insights:

• 65 times out of 100, you’ll get By-Ulf by pull 20
  • 95 times out of 100, you’ll get By-Ulf by pull 57
  • 99 times out of 100, you’ll get By-Ulf by pull 87

Putting that in Perspective

• 35 out of every 100 people won’t get By-Ulf by the 20th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 20 times, 350,000 of those players wouldn’t get By-Ulf

• 5 out of every 100 people won’t get By-Ulf by the 57th pull

• If 1 Million players each summoned 57 times, 50,000 of those players wouldn’t get By-Ulf

More Insights & Reading

I highly recommend reading these threads for more information and context on summoning odds:

If you’ve read them a million times before, you may consider reading them again before deciding on your budget for summoning. A little time spent deciding on how much money you want to risk on summoning goes a long way to avoiding disappointment, frustration, and regret later. :slight_smile:

:link: Related Threads

3 Likes

Feedback Poll - By-Ulf (post release)

Is By-Ulf worth Summoning For?

• Yes, absolutely
  • Only if you’re summoning for other heroes
  • Not at all

0 voters

What do you think of By-Ulf compared to other 3* Heroes?

• Over Powered (OP)
  • Little stronger than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Little Weaker than Most
  • Completely Broken (Under Powered)

0 voters

How does By-Ulf’s Special Skill match his Base Stats?

Note this means his Attack, Defence & HP Stat

• Perfectly
  • Better than Most
  • On Par with Most
  • Worse than Most
  • Terribly

0 voters

What do you think By-Ulf’s Primary Purpose is?

• Offence Geared Support Hero (Buffer)
  • Defence Geared Support Hero (Buffer)

0 voters

Is By-Ulf worth giving Paladin Emblems to?

• Yes absolutely
  • Yes, but only if you are focused on Event Competition
  • Yes, compared to other 3* heroes
  • Hmmmm, not sure yet
  • No
 Not at all.

0 voters

Where do you think By-Ulf is best used (in a 3* arena)?

• Left Wing
  • Left Flank
  • Tank
  • Right Flank
  • Right Wing
  • Not on defence at all.

0 voters

How do you think By-Ulf will be best used?

• PvP Raids/ War attack
  • Normal Defence
  • War Defence
  • Titans
  • Farming
  • Tournaments
  • Event Teams

0 voters

2 Likes

Got him on my first pull today. He might be useful for tournaments. I’ll level him and try out. In Tank position he actually might be good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got him too, and then Nordi.

Not sure what to think of him. In tank he would help the others but then be weak himself
 - defense in a tank is not ideal
well, not ideal anywhere to be honest!

Got him also. Will try as a tank assistant (flank). Still have no idea how he will perform

I did a 10-pull and got 3, lol. Put this guy next to Gato and he’ll protect him from his drunken hangover.

12 Likes

I’ve added By-Ulf’s boast ailment to the status effects guide:

Note that the ailment shield buff AilmentShield from a flank like Gato can block the boast Boast40x41, 50% ailment, and also block the resulting undispellable ailments that follow after Boast’s turn count expires.

So if you use By-Ulf as a tank in 3* raid tournaments, I recommend flanking him with Gato to help prevent his downside from negatively impacting him after 4 turns.

13 Likes

I’m not sure I understand this: Does he only gets credit for one buff in buff booster tournaments instead of 3? Or is there an ailment he gets on cast that turns into other ailments later. So Gato would have to fire before his initial fire instead of before the turn counter runs out?

He gets 3 buffs: +attack AtkUp , +defense DefUp , and +healing over turns HPRecovery

Yes, this Boast turns into these after the turn count expires:AtkDown, DefDown, ManaGenDown

Either one works.

4 Likes

Is any got this guy? i dont have a good green tank for 3* star.
My 3* green crew

Belith, Mneseo, Barden, Brienne (with and without costume)

Is it still useful? I know its easy to level up but i want to know

Thanks, that helps. I was worried that you were saying they created one new buff to hold all his effects, making him less effective in buff booster tournaments. I would still be cautious about using him anywhere on defense. He looks like a potential liability to be exploited.

2 Likes

Double Gato flank if the color eliminations (thinking Red here) help push that way. By-Ulf as tank with Gato flanks.

Not clear that is any better than a Gunnar with costume (just for stat boost) flanked by Brienne even with the color vulnerability that Gunnar would have.

Ulf seems to be the most useful of the Valhalla rares. Two of him flanking Ei-Dunn and Gato wings could be cool.

I’ve done the daily Valor challenge with a rainbow of Kvasir Ulf Bjorn Nordri and Ei-Dunn all below first ascension except Bjorn, who was at tier 2:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t Gato stop both his positive buffs as well as his negative ones if fired before he went off?

Nope, Gato just blocks ailments. Both the purple thing and the subsequent debuffs it turns into are ailments. The buffs are not

3 Likes

I got 5 of him, 4 I have already feed away. I am not sure I will level him.

I haven’t rec’d By-Ulf yet . Got the other 3* s a couple times each. Hoping to get him tomorrow plus a 5* or two. And, of course, Telluria. :relaxed:

Here is a video of By-Ulf and Gato going after Jetis 8/7. You can see how Gato helps By-Ulf resist those negative effects.

15 Likes

I like his screaming :sunglasses: :smile:
Not sure if I level him. Got enough green rares
may be one day. At least I keep 1 copy of each.

Yeah as tank he might work
sure he doesn’t live long enough to reach the negative status as tank.

Keep in mind that Gatos protect lasts shorter
you need to fire Gato just before the timer runs out.

1 Like

If I can fire Ulf’s special a second time before the negative effects from the first kick in does extend the positive effects for 4 more turns or do the negative ones from the first overwrite the positive from the second? I see in the first video above that I can’t overwrite the negative once they’re active but was curious if I could extend the positive. Could be useful in a Rush Tourney.

2 Likes