Neith resists Onatel's mana steal [NOT A BUG - WORKING AS INTENDED]

I’ll admit I didn’t re-read the entire Neith thread to search if this was addressed, but did search generally. I was unable to find any discussion on this.

Today I fought a raid where the defense had a flank Neith and I attacked with Onatel. I can provide a screen capture after Onatel fired and hit two enemies: Neith is unafflicted but Alasie has the normal ailment, but I don’t think it’s very informative. My team is blinded, but Onatel is of course not (because of her innate resistance). Resist DID proc on screen. I will get a video next time, but Neith is rare in defenses (lol). I do NOT think this is how Neith’s resistance should work, but will seek the advice of the forum before reporting it as a bug.

I guess my argument would be two fold:

1. Neith’s card shows her resistance as the white diamond-ish shape that often is used as the icon for mana with the red x on it. See DaveCozy’s thread on Innate Resistances, for example. That mana block is the symbol of e.g., Proteus and Hel’s ailments. In contrast, Onatel’s is the white mana icon with red vampiric teeth on it. Different icon, different ailment; Neith shouldn’t resist it.

2. The wording of Neith’s resistance is: “Resist Mana Generation Stopping: The Hero has an innate ability to resist status ailments that Stop Mana Generation.” (emphasis is SGG’s). Onatel’s skill does NOT stop mana generation. It specifically states, “The caster steals generated mana of the target and the nearby enemies…”

2 Likes

Onatel drains mana, she doesn’t stop it from generating. could be a bug that onatel doesn’t affect her.

Huh maybe I’m wrong then :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll test it in a raid against Onatel as I have Neith

4 Likes

Thank you! That will probably be easier, although it’ll be hilarious if you put Neith in the middle and Onatel targets one of your wings. I will also work on replicating it and will get a video.

1 Like

I have a video. I’m posting the whole thing since it’s actually a pretty epic comeback. But here’s the part that’s relevant to this thread.

• At ~1:32 I am about to fire Onatel’s special skill at the tank, which will hit Neith, who is at flank. I first show Onatel and Neith’s full cards. Onatel has no relevant status ailment, as she used her innate resistance to NOT be blinded by Neith moments earlier. Neith has many buffs, but none in the dodge category.
  • I then fire Onatel’s special skill and Neith clearly procs “Resist.” Normally that happens when an innate resistance is employed (as Onatel did to resist Neith’s blind when the latter fired slightly earlier in the video).
  • You can see that both the tank and the other flank are now afflicted with Onatel’s mana steal icon, but Neith is not.
  • I then pop Neith’s card back up again - Onatel’s ailment is NOT listed.
  • This does NOT seem to be just a visual bug. Neith’s mana gain seems unaffected if you watch the next few moves. It’s a little hard to tell since I don’t hit her with any tiles over the next four turns, but she seems to gain the same amount of mana each turn each turn. The true tell is on the fourth turn (where I detonate the green dragon at C1) - normally Onatel would steal all the generated mana, and you can see that the tank does in fact gain no mana on this turn, but Neith’s mana bar still gets bumped up.
  • At ~3:08 I fire Onatel’s special again. It hits Neith, but Resist procs again.
5 Likes

@Petri, @KiraSG, @Sara Could you please confirm if this is working as per design?

@zephyr1 or other mods, could you follow-up with SG?

thanks for posting. I have confirmed that this is working as intended - Neith’s passive skill resists Onatel’s mana steal effect.

6 Likes

That doesn’t make sense…

If onatel slows mana generation by stealing it and it’s seen as a special that stops mana gains, then wouldn’t the resist include any skill that slows the gain of mana?

Or is it due to onatel’s 4th turn steal of all mana which seldomly fires on defense(cant speak for offense) and doesnt require much of a steal

If it’s due to onatel’s 4th turn, then is it possible to only have neith resist proc on 4th turn of the special?

Idk probly simpler to leave it as is

What will be interesting is jean’s health steal resist since there is only 1 hero in the game that steals health, his resist seems pretty pointless unless you guys plan on dumping 5 to 10 more Morgan LeFay heroes into the game…

2 Likes

Agreed… It says it resists mana stoppers not mana stealers…?

2 Likes

Her 4th turn is the only reason i see it being included in the group since at that point it does stop all mana gained by opponent(think it’s 4th turn, i don’t have her so just goin off the top of my head)

Yeah, starts at 25% and increases by 25% each turn

1 Like

The Morlovian vampires also steal health

2 Likes

They steal healing, which is different. It’s not a perfect analog, so I wonder if they will or will not be affected by JF’s resistance.

3 Likes

Exactly this

Thank you

1 Like

Ah yes, good point.

Will be interesting to see how they interact with JF

1 Like

Thank you for looking into this. I will accept this answer, though I disagree about what should happen based on the wording on the card. I do think this is a nice little buff to Neith, which probably is generally welcome.

I guess I’m now curious if Neith resists other more general mana ailments, like from Delay or Little John’s special skill.

2 Likes

Well I’ve updated this topic to reflect that Neith does indeed resist Onatel’s mana steal :stuck_out_tongue:

As it’s clear this isn’t a bug (whether you agree it should work this way is a different issue though)

3 Likes

@Benn and @Rigs

J.F. resisted the Vampires and Morgan Le Fay only (at least that’s how this was in Beta – I did not note him resisting a sand empire hero)

Grazul resists Vampires + Sand Empire heroes / Perseus + Sargasso – but not Morgan

I do agree it’s odd that Neith resists Onatel – the game treats stealing mana as another kind of mana block :confused:

3 Likes

They are making things way too nitpicky

Can you imagine how outta hand this will get by 2021 or 2022? Lol

1 Like

87978-calvinball

3 Likes