Buffing Civil Debate - Discussion

Dear @JonahTheBard , this is a great post! :+1: :clap: :kissing_heart: I would also add to this post that you cannot curse people! I once had a nervous breakdown after being cursed for saying the little dragons were still on the map. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

No idea, but I generally don’t believe in it. 1 in 5 months?

1 Like

I don’t like flagging people either. But I will defend @princess1 here because I believe a while back, she had volunteered to help the moderator team by innocently flagging posts for their attention to be moved or merged to the appropriate category. I believe her intentions are to help the moderators, not to get anyone into trouble for expressing opinions. (does that sound about right?)

Personally, I am a nuisance around here. But I do appreciate the mods, they are generally fair with me for the most part. I do still hold a slight grudge over one particular incident that was never really explained to me, but as (1) it’s against the rules to discuss it, (2) I don’t know who was behind it or (3) what their exact motivations were, I’ve decided it’s best to not focus too much on it (I am capable of forgiving, unfortunately not so good at forgetting)

I’m very much a proponent of civil debate. Disagree with me all you want, present your arguments, etc., but I tend to get heated and overreact when people are insulting or condescending towards me…

OK7q99

It’s very hard for me to bite my tongue in those situations.

When it comes to actually flagging people though? I’ve mostly only done it as a joke… flagging myself, or flagging a mod for breaking their own rules… :laughing:

Otherwise, the only types of posts I would flag are ones that I feel are abusive in nature. Which thankfully doesn’t happen very often here.

7 Likes

Well, the moderators have asked for flags rather than tags, so as per their instructions I will often raise a flag to discuss the post in question.

I’d send at least one flag a day, sometimes two. People requesting for threads to be closed, posts that really belong somewhere else. Haven’t broken any rules yet…

And no @JonahTheBard I’m not asking for any title, even in jest :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Lesson learned

7 Likes

They did ask us for that, yes.

I don’t feel comfortable doing it myself though. As every time I get flagged, my first instinct is to get defensive.

“WHAT THE HECK DID I DO WRONG THIS TIME???”

LOL

Seriously though, every time I see those dang things in my inbox, my mind immediately goes to “oh boy, here we go again, I’m about to get kicked out.”

1 Like

If a post is flagged ‘other’, it doesn’t generate a notification to the post owner, so there’s no harm done.

7 Likes

And to be fair, I often flag my own post just to get the attention of a mod, if needed. Also when I’m responding to a player and think they need a mod’s attention, I’ll simply tell the poster that I’m going to flag their post and see if a mod can help them.

3 Likes

Majority of the flags I get are for being off topic (sorry, stop me here if I’m discussing moderation too much).

I know off topic flags aren’t really that big a big deal, but when I get several in a row, I start to get paranoid.

1 Like

I completely missed the discussion that led to you being away from the forum.

Most times the answer is nothing. FWIW I’m glad you’re back :kissing_heart:.

3 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Had a long wall of text to add that started to branch off into many different directions that I figured most people won’t want to read, so I blurred it as a spoiler.

I still don’t know what happened. I just logged in one day and… poof… I was cut off.

Can’t say any more than that. For one thing, because forum rules prohibit it. And second, because nobody ever told me what I had done to warrant it.

Wasn’t the first time I had been “moderated”, but the other times, I knew why. Because I had overreacted to someone insulting me. The last time… I don’t know. I’ve been trying not to overreact in situations that make me angry. I don’t recall breaking any rules in the last instance…

But anyway. Doesn’t matter now. That was 2+ months ago. I don’t care to rehash or relive the whole ordeal.

I will say that I have a PTSD thing about getting in trouble that goes back to my childhood. I was constantly getting into fights in grade school and - as a result, I spent a lot of time getting called in to the school’s principal’s office. I was labeled as a troublemaker mostly for defending myself when other kids were picking on me.

It’s kind of funny. The last time in high school I got called in to the principal’s office… normally they would just send a hall monitor to deliver a note to the teacher, and the teacher would call your name and tell you to see the principal. But this time, they didn’t just send a hall monitor. They were also accompanied by police officers and a couple of government workers in fancy suits.

Everyone in my class - myself included - thought that I was going to prison for something. I knew that I hadn’t committed any crime, but I had friends who might have, and it wouldn’t have been the first time I got mixed up in some crazy scenario I had nothing to do with.

I won’t discuss the details. I wasn’t in trouble, very much the opposite. But it was about the umpteenth time I had been “flagged” by the school authorities, and this time they brought the police??? They made it look and feel as though I was in trouble. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life, and I’ve had quite a few (both before and after that incident).

So… yeah. I kind of have a fear and distrust for many authority figures (no offense intended towards Jonah or other mods here). I unfortunately know all too well that innocent people can be prosecuted for crimes they never committed, that wealthy / popular / powerful people can use their influence in order to silence or dispose of people they don’t care for without any regard to rules or ethics, etc.

And that people can be triggered by words or actions that are intended to get under their skin by provoking their vulnerabilities and insecurities. And people with evil intentions will purposely exploit these in so-called “civil” forum discussions.

The last point is just the tip of the iceberg of an entirely different debate that is in fact very relevant to this particular topic, but perhaps too much to address all in one post…

3 Likes

That might be something you have no control over. :grinning:

5 Likes

Shhhhh… He needs no encouragement :joy::rofl::joy:

6 Likes

You could be the Kiwi with dreams of flying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs

Edit for you young folks

3 Likes

Hear me out on this:

What if instead of gearing up for a fully moderated civil discussion, you instead went full Purge style. For a full 24 days after s4 drops zero moderation.

Forum purpleblue color turns black.

When you click on links in the forum sometimes it causes your phone to explode.

Sometimes links to Videos of Telluria specials going off over and over and over again while the screen locks and you can’t do anything but slowly die

You know, fun stuff that everyone would enjoy.

You probably won’t go for it. You’ll probably insist on the whole “people behave and not fling insults at each other” style of foruming. But let it be known that there IS an alternative, if we are only so brave as to take it.

3 Likes

I am beyond pissed that Yahoo news disabled the comments section, to me that that was the best part of the news.

That said, I have no issues with buffing Season 1 and other out dated heroes (I’m looking at you Inari!), however…

I am against the NERFING of any heroes; Season 3, 4 challenge event or otherwise.

NO MORE NERFS!!!

1 Like

Does Yahoo still exist?

3 Likes

Yahoo does still exist, unfortunately.

IMO comments section there was a cesspool. Unfortunately, same case with YouTube and many other websites that do not have active moderation.

Moderators are a necessary evil. I no longer post on any forum or website that doesn’t have proper moderation or - at the very least - a functional report button.

5 Likes