Bloody Battle rule—Might as well roll dice

Seems to be popular. We all had a laugh at each other

I don’t see much of a problem with the rule; it puts a premium on other ways to keep your heroes alive besides healing - defense buffs, cleanse, spirit link, minions, and mana control. I’ve had some very enjoyable hits where I had to play very cautiously knowing I couldn’t bail taker out with a big heal. Yes it’s more difficult than normal raiding, but that’s the point. Plus everyone is in the same boat, so the leaderboard accounts for the difficulty.

Here’s the end of a hit I just barely won by bringing Locke against Isarnia - GM - Zeline - GM - Panther. I usually overlook her cleanse ability, but it was instrumental because I couldn’t heal past the double GM burn.

13 Likes

I liked it, I got crushed day 2 so paid my $1 to continue.
I crushed day 3.
Bad boards will kill you
Good boards will let you win.
Not sure how this is any different from everything else.

I had a least one opponent that I was sure I was going to lose to but I pulled it out in the end. Bad start board but worked though it.

Lots of fun.
I think the rewards are good enough.

I see the leaderboard is full of old timers. Which isn’t surprising for this tournament.

Looking forward to the next one.
Strange I haven’t been attacked yet today.

3 Likes

Maybe just reduce healing to 50% of normal? Or even 33% or something.

1 Like

Only the most skilled players will be in the top 100. I myself being a match three god am nearly in the top 100. My defense is A rated and represents my skill in team building composition.

I’m curious too as to other rules that were considered.

1 Like

As tough as these bloody battles are, it’s been great fun playing them.

6 Likes

I almost never use healers when raiding. So to me this was a cool idea. The only heros I usually use to heal are heros such as Anzogh/Ageir types, who heal with hit. Just left them out.

4 Likes

I agree with a bad board in this format there is no way back, and you can tell whether you’re in it from the opening board

To me the problem was with a 4060 defense, I was matched against so many gravemakers. Gravy is OP in normal raids, let alone this format where can’t really afford to take Rigard. To me the opening boards I agree but the basic formula is:

Have a gravy = Win
Have two gravy = definite win
Have no gravy = better luck in a different format

5 Likes

Agree with the “the opening board is more important”. Disagree that there is zero chance of working yourself out of it. It may greatly depend on the team you bring in, but I had three horrible starting boards so far and was able to clear tiles away from two of them fast enough, which thankfully were replaced by good tiles, that I won both of those. The other one I wasn’t able to clear quickly and the replacement tiles were just as bad, so I lost. What can I say, it happens.

4 Likes

My last confrontation today, was everything, less fun …

2 Likes

Queen of hearts

That is all

2 Likes

I’ve used QoH, Zim, and GM on each attack thus far.

1 Like

Niiiiiice. Went with just zim and qoh and 3 strong against tank.

Lost against gm tank this morning :frowning:

I believe the “no healer” worked ok. Yes, the boards make a difference, but they always do. It forces you to take a different approach.

I would like to be able to challenge opponents nearer my TP. Heres my day two of the tournament:

TP. RESULT
4145. Victory
3920. Loss
4133. Loss
4135. Victory
3923. Victory

My TP is 3489.

I know im not the only player with a team around 3500 so why face off against so many higher powered teams?

4 Likes

I used her on my mono red defense…which is doing way better than I thought it would. Staying at a high B and jumped to an A for a bit.

1 Like

The pro and con posts in this topic only make sense together if a phrase is added to the end of each: Opponents need to be evenly matched. The issue isn’t the rule, the issue is matching.

We all seem to agree that the rule:

• Increases the power of defense vs attack teams; and,
  • Increases the impact of boards on outcomes.

So, is the rule a good tournament option? It depends on whether the matching is relatively even. Because the OP took the con side, I’ll start with that.

Con:
@Dante2377 says, “there is ZERO chance to work yourself out of a bad opening board.” The higher the opponent strength, the more true this is. Opponents need to be evenly matched, and dante considers that the matching isn’t even.

@KnifeWonder says, “All the teams i have encountered were like 300/350 pts superior to my best team that i couldnt even use since one of my only two 4/80 was basically a healer.“ Knife doesn’t think the matching is even. In addition, when the top 5 are used to match, and some of those are useless healers, the matching is also off. Opponents need to be evenly matched.

Pro:

@havok333 says, “It puts a premium on other ways to keep your heroes alive besides healing - defense buffs, cleanse, spirit link, minions, and mana control” This is the best pro response; it’s why I also favor keeping the rule, so that we have to adjust to the changed parameters. However, that stance assumes opponents are relatively evenly matched so as to give attackers a chance to use them, or to provide a little time to turn a bad board around.

• “Plus everyone is in the same boat” This is not true if some are matched against higher-powered teams while others are evenly matched or matched against lower-powered teams. Havok suggests countering teams like Isarnia-Lianna-GM-Magni-Frida with QoH, Zim, and GM. That’s great if you have them, and a good even match even with bad boards.
  • If the available attack team of Vivica (unused, with Li put in instead), Caedmon, Aegir, Grimm, and Kadilen is matched against that defense instead, it doesn’t even matter much if the boards are good; it’s the matching that’s off. GM is going to rule in this tourney, but shouldn’t be matched vs a team with Kelile strength.
    That’s what the OP and the people in the Con camp seem to be saying.

I’ve rarely seen such a schizophrenic set of replies to a topic: on the one hand, high-level players are defending the current rule as properly challenging because they’re more evenly matched with the defenses; on the other, low-level player are saying that the dice-roll rules are too difficult to be overcome, because they aren’t evenly matched. Both are right, but the replies aren’t addressing each other properly. Opponents need to be evenly matched.

Because SG publicly stated that they’re still working on the matching algorithm, and that they want community feedback, this is a perfect time to explore whether the existing matching is affecting outcomes under this rule as it currently plays out.

3 Likes

This. Gravemaker is a joke.

Oh god no… I hate heavy heal battles. 15 minutes of Melendor vs. Boldtusk. Who will win? Probably no one, ever. Your phone will die before the battle ends. Ugh. Those are my least favorite fights. You want to talk about being board dependent.

Then go visit Ursena.
Took me about an hour to bring her down in normal mode.

1 Like