BEST HOTM to pull for? Kingston/Neith(Halloween) or Grimble/Vela?(Christmas)

I was pretty set on pulling for Kingston with my eht but after reading a bunch in forum I’m not sure I should use them in October.
I’m sure others have a similar issue with Kingston and to a lesser extent neith as well.

I’m not saying the tc20 heroes are better than the HotM at all but trying to maximize resources for f2p or low c2p teams.

Lianna is a close replacement for Kingston and can be free like I got her from tc20.
Justice and li xiu are free and similar to neith though 2 are needed for all the things she does.

Again, the HotM are better no doubt. However, with only limited EHT and maybe a gem pull or 2 what’s the consensus?

1. Pull in Halloween for Kingston plus Halloween heroes.
  2. Pull in Halloween for neith plus Halloween heroes.
    Assuming player has lianna and justice in above cases.

Grimble seems very niche which is fine for a deep bench but many have limited benches and want heroes for every aspect. Vela looks okay but is far out and likely will change.

Then there is also Evelyn and ? To consider for Atlantis in November as well and while you can’t use eht you need mats. Going for Kingston might limit Eve or vice versa. I think Evelyn is much better than Kingston since lianna is close to him but Evelyn doesn’t have a close free green equivalent.

Any advice on what to do? Kingston, Neith, Evelyn and ?(Hotm 2 in Atlantis Nov, old who it is but maybe someone does as that could make things different too).
If you could pull ONLY 1 and would get it, which would it be? When considering assume limited mats so only 1 getting ascended so you can’t do lianna plus Kingston and Evelyn
Or
Justice plus neith
And you can’t pull for Kingston, neith and Evelyn either.

Hopefully that info is clear. I’m looking for info for myself but others are likely in similar situation. Having the tc20 heroes but limited chances to pull for hotm or Atlantis.
Thanks in advance…

For me, the answer is Kingston. I desperately need a 5* green, TC20 has given me two Kadilens and an Elkanen, so I am not expecting more greens there for a while… I have Justice at 3/70, and I have never been successful with 5* Atlantis heroes (have only Mok-Arr, who wasn’t even featured)…

2 Likes

Kingston is great but green has lots of great heroes. Yellow doesn’t. Yellow is the worst color. Neith will be a very good yellow and should be a priority to try and get. In fact her design makes me angry, it’s stupid good. Drake is one of the best yellows and they just repackaged him and made him better because now he also cuts mana, it’s dumb.

3 Likes

I have both Lianna and Kingston, and will be ascending Lianna next, only because she’s already at 3.70 and one of my green 5* that only need a few mats to be completely ascended and then I can start the emblems (I also have Kadilen 3.70, Elkanen 3.70, Horghall 2.60 all waiting for mats and Tarlak that I just pulled at Atlantis) Kingston is 3.60 and also waiting on mats, but was this month’s HOTM and will take me longer to ascend. The good news is that he has more special skills than just being a sniper like Lianna (albeit a good one), so I’m already using him. I’m not sure how everyone else can ascend or level up Kingston so quickly, but I hope this helps.

I applaud your strategic planning to maximize resources; the chances for draws make that necessary for all but those who are willing to mortgage their homes to get better heroes. :wink:

IMHO, the best way to spend is to wait for critically helpful new HOTMs (where you have low odds but if successful get your selection @ 100%). Draw for them at Atlantis/events that feature similarly helpful but old HOTMs that have as much chance of being drawn as lightning strikes (especially because even if you hit the odds, you may get a different/unwanted hero).

Like @mpolo, I went for Kingston, but that’s only because I’ve been trying for 8 months to draw Lianna from 4 TC20s with no success. If I’d had Lianna, I’d likely have waited to draw for Neith. Luckily, I got Kingston and 2 other old HOTMs, so using up 6 months of gems wasn’t wasted.

Given that thinking, I’d avoid chasing Kingston (you’ve got Lianna), but Neith might be nice to try for at a monthly challenge - skip Halloween niche heroes. Alternately, wait for a new VG HOTM. If you want Evelyn, you’ll have to take your chances with lightning, but save up Atlantis tokens just to try for her. GL!

1 Like

I have Lianna (two actually) and Gregorion (a very poor man’s Kingston so some say) so Kingston for me wasn’t a priority. Besides, I used all my saved EHT in Sand Empire hoping for a decent tank and got Arman.

I am currently saving up everything for Christmas so I can fail again at trying for a decent tank and likely not even getting Rudolph.

2 Likes

Both great heroes but Eve would make a much greater impact on your roster.

Same with panther.

1 Like

I got 5x kadilien in a row from TC 20​:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

1 Like

You should have no problem maxing her special then :laughing:

6 Likes

I mean if we’re talking about HOTM in general, that’s a different question entirely. If we’re talking about the next foreseeable Hotm, I’d say that Kingston is easily the best of the four (Kingston, Neith, Grimble, and Vela).

Kingston is like Seshat; yes you can replace them with a generic TC20, but there are a lot of subtle things about them which make them loads better.

But if we’re talking maximizing limited resources in the hopes of getting the best value, especially now that October Atlantis has wrapped up, the money is still on Christmas event. Every Christmas hero is good. Vampires are average, Atlantis has long odds, and it’s unknown if Christmas event runs into January to try for Vela. By the time we’d know for sure, the windows on Kingston and Neith would have closed.

I don’t know the event odds for Christmas, so I can’t make much of a suggestion there, but I can say that Kingston is such a massive change in how I perceive my entire green lineup that I can’t really fathom not trying for him when you have the best odds. I’m grateful I got him.

I don’t see Neith as being comparable, Grimble is too niche, and… I don’t remember Vela that well to be honest.

In general, still Xmas.

If we’re talking forecast heroes of the month, my vote goes to Kingston, windmill slammed into the table.

7 Likes

I agree with pulling for Evelyn and whichever Hotm is available when she hits Atlantis. I’ll be pulling for Neith because I have Evelyn already and I might get Lianna from tc20 someday.

Yellow is the worst?
Poseidon
Guin
Drake
Delilah
Ranvir
G. Jackal
Joon
Rana
(Soon to be White Rabbit)

Looking at that list, some of those are the best heroes/tanks in the game.

9 Likes

Of those listed, only Joon has a reasonable chance of accessibility. A lot of those are past heroes of the month or event heroes which makes them inaccessible and/or long odds at best.

And except for Joon, most of those are… shall we say… not ideal in an offensive position. (Edit: yes yes and Poseidon and Drake and jackal and white rabbit)

A lot of it comes down to the structure of how the color balance is done between the five, or what vaguely passes for “balance” in SGG’s hallowed halls. Yellow tends to focus more on control, defensive strength, and randomness which leads to it being a pretty subpar color, at least offensively. This is why Kunchen has been ascendant because he attacks yellow in all the most damaging ways (and also why Ursena is so good due to yellow lacking accessible dispellers, or ANY dispellers, or offensive potential).

I think the biggest thing that sucks is that whomever decided on the ability pie each color got didn’t have a great understanding of the mechanics and that SGG doesn’t really balance so much as throw more chase heroes into the mix. Magic: the Gathering by comparison has a far more robust design structure (though it’s a bit of an unfair comparison as WotC has been around longer and has different economic pressures than SGG).

4 Likes

I feel you there. I’ve saved almost all my gems (almost 17k) for Christmas. I may use a small fraction of those and EHT’s for next months HOTM though…as stated above, Yellow/Holy seems neglected with great heroes.

1 Like

And Vivica. Soon Holy Kunchen with her alt. Though yellow S1 4* mostly suck, but that one that does not kind of compensates it.

2 Likes

Well think about the “best” of every color. Aren’t all of them event/special heroes except for the original snipers (Lianna, Magni, Sartana, Joon, Marjana)?

2 Likes

Yes, and this was something that I pointed out relatively recently; that the sniper-five require no synergy and are not team players. I think it was both good and bad that the most recent HOTM who closest resemble them had to be toned down so that they were relative side-grades instead of straight up better, thus obsoleting the vanilla snipers.

While combo pieces create a more dramatic effect (e.g. Isarnia > Quintus, Kiril > Grimm > Richard, I’m sure you can think of others), it’s usually overkill, and these days doesn’t even necessarily result in a clean kill. I use Panther > Seshat regularly in my 3-tack purple, and that rarely kills full-health heroes, even with Panther at +5 and Seshat at +3.

And for some colors, it’s still the ONLY option for most. What’s dark/purple’s full roster of 5* snipers? Kage, Seshat, Sartana, and Obakan? Alright. Yellow? Joon… Musashi… um… Leonidas? Green? Lianna… Kingston… um… Gregorion… uh… Elkanen? Maybe? On a good day? Red? The color of fire and damage and burn, yeah! Marjana! And… and… Gravemaker! He does damage! And… Kestrel? Maybe? Natalya if you squint real hard…

Blue? Oh golly where do I start. Alice, Alaise, Athena, Finley, King Arthur, Magni, Lepus, Perseus, and Misandra.

Is there a reason Mitsuko is considered good?

Now I’m not saying or advocating that all the colors be equal, but it’s something worth noting. I’m thinking of making a long, drawn-up post about it. But I probably won’t. I have a bad habit of going straight off the rails into crazyland when I do that.

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Thanks for this information especially since this will be my first Christmas event. I plan on saving up and maximizing during that time as well

1 Like

I should be overjoyed I have 3 of him then. Two will sit at 3-70 for a long time though. Eventually my holy stack wiil be Joon - Viv - Joon - Viv - Joon. Just need another 15 darts.

4 Likes

Snipers can synergise with def down debuffers or attack buffers. They may not add to the capabilities of their teammates but they certainly can benefit. You just have to ensure they fire in the right order. BT then Lianna certainly synergises better than Lianna then BT.