Battle Forms - Shield Attack Formations

The game is called Empires and Puzzles, but let’s face it, there’s more Empire farming than there is puzzling going on. Sure, there is strategy to how you select shields to combine during attacks, but the gameplay here is not very deep. Combos add a small multiplier (with long combos being largely luck), 4 shields create an explosive shield, and 5 shields create a diamond. That’s about it.

I’ll start with the TL;DR – Players can research and develop shield configuration patterns that deploy special powers when that arrangement is created in the attack grid.

I propose a way to add to the puzzle aspect of the attack game by earning Battle Forms™ - unique combinations of shields that have special powers, but that you have to unlock over time just like you unlock crafting and training skills.

There are a huge number of options here, but I’ll explain how this could work and give a few examples.

Battle forms become available once a player has reached a certain level (or upgraded the Keep to a certain level). You research battle forms as you level up and new ones become available.
Once you have a battle form in your repertoire you can use it during an attack.

Here’s one example – right now forming a cross shape with five shields results in a diamond. But, if you have researched the Shield Cross Battle™ Form, the shields don’t form a diamond. Instead they move up to do their usual damage, add mana, AND heal the team (or just the heroes of that color) by a fraction of the damage they do.

Here’s another example – getting 7 shields aligned in row produces a diamond. But if you have researched the Phalanx Battle™ Form, the shields don’t make diamond. Instead they move up to do their usual damage, add mana, AND give all heroes (or just the heroes of that color) 100% protection for 1 turn.

And another example – Five shields in a diagonal line currently don’t do anything. However, if you have researched and deployed the Slash Battle Form™, 5 shields of the same color arranged diagonally will now launch, cause damage, and add mana.

There are a ton of different Battle Forms one could create. There’s the 5 across and 3 down T (a Rear Guard Battle Form that does damage from the back instead of the front of the enemy heroes?), a 3 across and 3 down T (a Hammer Battle Form that silences enemy heroes it hits or fills the mana bar of attackers of that color), or a C shape (the Cripple Battle Form that causes attack and protection down on the enemy heroes it hits), and many, many more!

The net effect is that players who use battle forms will become more powerful attackers. To balance this, there could be negative battle forms as well. For example, having the same color shield in all four corners would cause blindness in the attacking team. Or, there could be explosive shield like the damn Easter eggs and Pumpkins to contend with whenever Battle Forms are deployed.

There are many ways to enact this in-game. Here’s where there are several different directions you could go.

Option 1 – Battle forms are more like Talent Emblems. You have to ‘craft’ or earn a particular battle form for a particular color shield. You can then add that form to a hero so that whenever that hero is in the lineup, that color battle form is available. I figure you could add up to three battle forms to each hero.

Option 2 – Battle Forms are more like Battle Items - you select Battle Forms from your repertoire prior to each battle the same way you select battle items. If you create one of these formations (in any color shield), their special effect fires.

The net effect is that the attack puzzle game becomes much richer. You are now looking for more special arrangements in the shield grid, trying to create some, and maybe avoid others. You have to decide which Battle Forms you want to deploy. And you have to research and build new forms over time, giving you ample opportunities to spend gems to speed up the process.

Great idea, I would really like some of those puzzle options

1 Like

This didn’t get much traction, but here’s another example: The Three-Headed Dragon!

If you get three dragon heads in a row, they trigger all of the rows(s) and column(s) that they are in automatically.

I truly like this idea, wish I had votes left to give you.

Which reminds me - does anyone know how/when do I get more votes??

You don’t.

You gotta either rhave a thread closed or unvote for stuff.

Can check your votes by checking your profile summary

Dam n :frowning: So I only get 5 votes lifetime? I have more posion darts than I have votes XD

maybe add a Mystic Vision where we can watch adds to get a shot at more votes? LOL please don’t do this I am joking

2 Likes