Barry Farmz Here -- Comprehensive data driven farming guide for Season 3, Season 2, Season 1, Elemental Chests, Atlantis Rises, Missions, and more

Here’s an example approach, a the code takes a screen shot, then tests to see if a specific image is in the screenshot. Only a certain region of the screen is captured, reducing the chance for false positives and a useless pile of pixels that don’t show loot.

https://pyautogui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/screenshot.html

I figure you would need to emulate Android on a desktop, run the game where loot sample is displayed, an take the screenshots and analyze them, then come up with counts for each item.

This is out of my programming comfort zone, I handle massive datasets created from sensors or movement tracking so this is a lot more functional than the stuff I usually do.

5 Likes

@BarryWuzHere I’m casually looking. The best option might be to do something browser-based, where any player could run a batch of screenshots from their phone/desktop on the web, then submit data.

I’ve been poking around GitHub trying to see if there’s a best-fit fit solution.

3 Likes

@BarryWuzHere Just FYI in the 0% chance you don’t know but the spreadsheet tab for Atlantis Rising seems to be putting uniform numbers for all stages in a province.

Yes, and that is intentional if somewhat preliminary. I’m working on giving results like those throughout … and I still need to check them properly. It got snuck into that tab early, as the actual values are academic for the next three weeks.

3 Likes

I’ve done pixel matching on PC with AutoHotkey. Very easy. Just take a small sample of the target image, optionally define the search area to make it efficient., define the tolerance, and if there’s a match you’ll be given the coordinates.

I find it interesting that Season 1 Province 1 to 15 is required to unlock Season 2 ( see notes ). Most of my favorite farming spots are in Season 1 Province 1 to 15 ( 1.7-4, 1.7-7, 1.12-9 ).

Atlantis normal and Atlantis Rising is most profitable in Season 2 Province 1 to 15 ( see notes ).

I would expect this trend to continue for Season 3 and 4. Unlocking each Season with Province 15 of the previous Season. Most of the best farming spots being in the first 15 Provinces of a Season.

I would not want to skip analyzing all Provinces, but if this trend continues in Season 3, it may allow us to concentrate our research in the first 15 Provinces as the most likely spots for best farming.

Notes

Click for notes

Unlocking Season 2

Atlantis Rising

FIN

7 Likes

I’m not on season 2 yet but I screen shot the info thanks guys

New, exciting update to the farming spreadsheet, it is now reporting much more statistically valid results, even for low drop rate items, thanks to some statistical tests and magic. Also thanks to @Garanwyn, @PekaJ, @Biermeister, @gregschen, and anybody else I’m forgetting(!) for helping me figure out how to make all this stuff work!

The new version is reporting what I’ve been calling synthetic farming data, which takes into account a bunch of patterns in the farming data – mostly that besides monsters and recruits, everything else you farm for seems to have the same random chance of arriving in the same amount in across each province, and often provinces are grouped together.

The really really really good thing about this is that now a level which only has a few runs recorded … of which there are many … will now have reasonable and sane average values. There were quite a few instances in the prior version where the best recorded level for something wasn’t actually that good, or certainly wasn’t better than other choices, but it was reported that way just due to luck on the small number of samples it had.

Along the way, I also re-ordered things to put stuff that people want to farm for and can reasonably farm for at the top, and things that are harder to farm for or pretty useless at the bottom of the list.

The link remains the same as it always was.

11 Likes

I looked through the documentation - so one would have to sample, say, 15-20 pixels and set an extact match to check the region for an image match? The set it to check the next few image areas along the row, and then loop it to run the rows against all known icons?

I discovered recently that loot used to be more uniform. So your analysis makes a lot of sense for the loot tables.

Notes

2 Likes

Sounds like that is when the items found “more frequently” stuff was added to the game.

I’m going to guess that the things that I’ve found to be unvarying across entire provinces were that way before too, though…even though that was before I started playing.

I’ve also heard that 1:8-7 was nerfed much earlier than that, which I don’t doubt but also don’t know the details of … or really care … all the data I’ve got is in the later period with this stuff all in place, best I can tell.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to check it out. I’ve been taking care of some medical issues the last couple of days.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

Is the link not working for anyone else? I can’t seem to access the spreadsheet anymore.

Today seems totally different from last night, so Barry may have been swapping versions? Not sure how spreadsheet link deals with updates.

1 Like

It works. But it really takes a lot of time until the sheet is loaded.

Unfortunately, some aspects of this spreadsheet are pushing the limits of how much data Google Sheets can reasonably handle/crunch, so there are issues with that. I’ve separated it into several different sheets, which makes the summary normally much easier/faster to load, but yes, updates do throw a bit of a monkey wrench into things that way.

2 Likes

Thank you for this.

For those who do not know, Barry handles all the problems of coordinating cats, er , volunteers and using free software instead of paid software so the most people can help and benefit from the team effort ( but a huge chunk of it is solely Barry ).

8 Likes

I prefer to think of myself as a squirrel wrangler. (@Rook is definately a cat, and she’s too nice to do that to :rofl:)

6 Likes

Hello Barry,
Thanks again for your work.
It seems that you changed your main sheet. If you can, for the next one, it was nice to have at the beginning the update date and the data numbers.
The last time I looked, all the columns had the energy ratio. Now I see it only in the “overall best” column and the others have percents (as exemple monsters 100%). What are these percents ?
Excuse me if I missed something you already explained.
Once again great work :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The percentage is relative to the best level for that item. I obviously need to describe that more clearly. As an example, adventure’s kits:
2:1-7N is best with 0.35 kits/WE
1:5-6 is best low level at 80% of that = .28 kits/WE

I did that because in some cases, the “next best” is 94% of best and in other cases it is 50% of best, and I believe that is important to understand, and showing it as a percentage makes it more apparent than absolute numbers.

When I get a chance, I will put the sample count / most recent date back in more prominently; those just got lost in the shuffle.

6 Likes