Bad boards

I am getting REALLY tired of the board determining the outcome of a battle. It has gotten much worse since the last update.

I understand it happens from time to time. 50% or more is ridiculous.

7 Likes

Please forgive me if I appear to be flippant… I am also not trying to be rude or unkind, nor start a flame war that I will most assuredly lose…But… that’s the whole point of the game?

It’s even in the name. Empires and Puzzles.

There are plenty of other games out there where hero strength is matched with hero strength, but this game offers more than that. It’s a delicious combination of skill and luck, but most assuredly relies on luck to give you any chance of using your (what I am assuming is) considerable skill.

Fortune is the great equalizer and why the game is both maddening and addictive.

We ALL curse the boards, I do… even @Xero786 does. I’d imagine that @Rook or @Kerridoc have had moments where they wish to throw their device against the wall due to a most unfortunate board.

Still luck.

With that said… I wish you the best of it.

2 Likes

Maybe I wasn’t clear…

The issue is worse since the last update. I encountered the occasional bad board in the previous year+ I played. They are much more frequent now.

Examples: I bring two purple, the board generates very few purple tiles. I bring a purple healer and a red healer, and never get a healing special off. Just today I had three boards that produced a profound lack of red tiles when I had two reds in my lineup.

I understand the puzzle aspect of the game. I understand that with the random nature of the game, these things will happen. They are occurring much more frequently than before.

7 Likes

I can relate i was just discussing this earlier how i get TONS of purple tiles because i never bring purple hero’s then WHAM i bring 3 to kill off a yellow tank and i get 2 purple tiles wtf!! this has happened alot lately

4 Likes

HuntzAlone: Yes! Exactly!

Mine is broken

10 Likes

We addressed this in the complaint thread. Mods get amazing boards 137% of the time on Wednesday’s.

8 Likes

I feel obliged to post this again:

Why would the devs spend time to add non-randomness to raid boards? What possible gain is there to waste time on it? And why would devs choose to make players lose more and get frustrated?

11 Likes

Those look awesome! I haven’t seen anything like that in weeks, especially not the opening board.

1 Like

Still random. Still not adjusted by SG. Still luck, however poor.

In all seriousness, screen grab when you get good boards and it will give you some cheer when you get a run of bad 'uns.

1 Like

As a fresh example, I just grabbed this peach of a war board. Yes, last war I got pulped 4/6 times, but I’d rather remember this one

7 Likes

I’m sure the game penalizes stacking. I never used monochrome, I started to try it and saw that, initially, the first runs of each color had normal boards, but as I repeated it worsened, to the point of opening the chest, winning the first 3 and losing the next 8 and Do not recover board until you leave the monocolor. I do not think this is bad, but let them know.

It’s penalized in as much as it’s a risky strategy.

Having three boards out of eleven with enough tiles to win sounds like good going as 80% of the tiles are dead to a mono team.

1 Like

@JonahTheBard It’s a little like beating the head into a wall.

It’s random
no it’s not
Yes it is
nu-uhh

Sigh.

4 Likes

The problem with the boards and the monocolor is not only that they do not come out of that color but how others accumulate. I have cleaned 3 times a board with unused colored diamonds and they have refilled the board. This charges the opponent.

Sure that happens. It also happens that amazing boards drop. I’ve had 9/10 replacement tiles be purple with a heavy purple stack.

The point is that humans notice outliers and build up our mental map based on a filtered perception. If you were to work through all the boards you get, carefully counting all the tile drops on all the boards, I remain confident that the results are pseudo-random and uncorrellated with the heroes you bring.

Why do I believe this?

• SGG has officially stated it to be true
  • there is no statistically significant evidence to contradict it
  • there is no reason to believe that SGG would spend the resources to do complicated coding needed for non-random boards just to make our lives miserable

If you really believe in #3, I’d urge you to find a new game.

11 Likes

You can win a raid even with a bad starting board. If you have the rights heroes and a bit of luck.

2 Likes

In fairness, it would be really easy to change the draw probabilities in code. Just adding 5 special cases would probably take longer to QC than to code. But the key question you ask is why would they do it? And I agree. There is zero value in having non-random boards. I can’t even imagine the design meeting that begins with: “I’ve got this great idea for screwing with our players…”

4 Likes

Empires and Puzzles

Empire = Heroes Chosen
Puzzle = The Board

Lately I’ve been loving 3-2 and 3-1-1 teams so if the board is trash im often screwed but its the risk I like to take.

Terrible Boards making my team worthless really annoys me aswell but bad boards make me appreciate the good and great ones,so I dont want to see them completely dissapear

2 Likes