[SOLVED] Back to old tricks? Change to Mercing and Dev Response

To be clear, we’ve had this functionality there for a long time. We disabled it based on the feedback from the community probably half a year ago. The fact that the functionality exists is not a secret nor a bug. The fact that it would trigger is a bug because it is still disabled on the server.

Has this happened to somebody else than Vivenna? It would be helpful in analyzing the issue to understand if this was a temporary glitch related to her account, or if this has suddenly started to happen for everybody.

2 Likes

SG, this is a big step back in the development of the game. Merc’ing makes the game more social, you meet new people, make friends.
Please embrace Merc’ing once and for all. Create a specific set of rules for them. It is nice to play as a merc and it is nice to have help from one.

4 Likes

This also happened to someone in our alliance family. So the post in question up here would be my second report of it happening.

I will be testing it myself before long, so will see for myself soon enough.

2 Likes

This happened to SilverShot, I am currently locked in for war and can’t test it.

You dont set the flag to off. You comment out the code completely.

By stating that it is disabled means it is still there for when you want to implement it.

Bad coding practice keeping code in a buil if not required anymore. I hogs space and sets you up for issues … boom guess what.

It needs to be completely commented out. Nothing can be triggered if it doesnt exist in the build.

9 Likes

Yes we are all locked in for war, this will destroy the community! Please fix this sooner rather than later!

2 Likes

OK, that’s a decent save in this situation, but my first point still stands - you should really “try” harder on transperancy. Stop shadow-nerfing stuff. And while you are at it, please openly nerf Guin - in top 100 there are just two types of people - those that have a Guin tank, and those that don’t have Guin at all.

1 Like

Well having not Merced for a little while due to actually trying to sort out our own alliance.
I am disheartened about this situation as I like the chance to go out and meet new people once in a while. I would be considered an end game player now and as such don’t need the mats as much but then I never did it for that.
I would like to think that SG games has inadvertently switched this back on we can only wait and see if this is the case.

To be 100% honest in IT there is a term.

Do it, see the backlash, apologize if need be and roll back.

To me this all feels like a test the waters kinda thing.

Reason for it still present in the code.

I think SG has just completely lost the faith of the gamers. It is not a bug if it works perfectly as intended.

There is more than just a little on off switch to make that happen.

Most might not be in SDLC but for those that are … we know.

8 Likes

Well, I am in software developing, too. Such things can happen, especially in complex code.
(For the protokoll: I am not saying that this is complex code, neither I am saying the opposite. I simply don’t know the source.)
And whether this is really a bug or some “testing the waters”, or whatever. This situation shows an imortant truth: As in every relation, trust has to be owned and maintained. And once broken it is almost impossible to repair. All the secrecy, silent nervs, "ah, that is much to complicated to understand"s, … are retaliating now.

But what @Eries said still holds - the code is there for half an year now as per their own words. It could’ve been removed and saved locally for later use. The whole explanation is a bit dodgy, and I agree it ifeels like kind of a testing the waters experiment.

3 Likes

To disable functionality you dont keep it and only disable it. It makes the build chunky with unrequired code. You comment it out of the spec, not removed. This way it can easily be cleared again for use. But this requires someone physically “putting it back in”.

By simply using an off flag is sooo not protocol.

Glad you are also in coding which means you will know what I mean.

3 Likes

I most certainly hope that this is a bug, and that this will be removed from the code completely.

I like to go out visiting when we have a rest titan.
Some of us also helped our small sister alliance kill their “blunicorn” some time ago.

I do not like the intention behind this.
It would mean:
either throw lots of expensive items at a titan that would otherwise be a rest titan - in order to kill it
or attack without items just so that the flags do not go to waste - and get measly loot for the escape ( which we have to do when we are locked in for war)

No. 1 is out of the question. Money and items do not rain from the sky
No. 2 is boring. Very much so. But … see No. 1.

This comes from a player who CAN help out.
Now what about the players who NEED and APPRECIATE the help? Are they also supposed to throw money and expensive items at every titan, or just sit there twiddling their thumbs?

I see the intention clearly.
And I do not like it one bit.

I pay money to SG because I want to. Because it makes the game more pleasant for me.

Not because the game forces me to spend spend spend by nerfing things.

I seem to sense a beginning here.
And I do not like it.

In my last game, I was a slayer. A big player who helped smaller players kill their monster battles at the last minute.
Slayers were organized in groups (founded and led by players).
A whole flock of us would join a critical monster battle shortly before the time ran out, kill the monster, provide the loot for all the players in the battle, get loot ourselves, and then leave again, to the thanks of the smaller players. We had saved their day :hugs:

It was great. It was exciting. And we gladly spent the money for the stamina refills. Because coming over the hills like the cavalry was our favorite pastime in the game.

Past tense.

The devs got greedy and priced slaying out of the reach of ordinary people.
We lost our favorite pastime. We lost our fun.
The game was just going through the motions from then on.
The stupid guild battles that they introduced were not comparable. At all.

Many high levels left. So did I.

The game is now dead.

Please, do not go the way of that game.
For our sake. And for your own sake.

Killing fun and killing community activities is not a good idea.

9 Likes

This is what I picture the response will be from SG. Sorry that we alienated so many of our players but to make up for any inconvenience here’s a world energy flask, a common herb and a practice sword. Thank you for your participation.

4 Likes

A practice sword? WOW!

SG, here’s a coding flask. Try again!

4 Likes

Has anyone else tested this? I’m happy to…

BRB…

@Rook

wait!!! we are all locked in for war!!

2 Likes

Know of at least 3 on the forum mentioned.

1 Like

I got a dispensation from my very awesome alliance to test this for the playerbase.

So far:

2 alliances, 2 Titans, no error message. Going for 3

EDIT:

3 alliances
3 Titans
4 Flags
NO ERROR MESSAGE

Whatever was glitched is gone. This was my last screenshot:

3 Likes