AtoZ Category Game - List before a mod/staff resets us

Nescio Bridge, Amsterdam Netherlands

It carries pedestrians and cyclists over the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal.

5 Likes

Ōnaruto Bridge (and the Naruto Whirlpools below it)

3 Likes

3 Likes

Maybe there’s a bridge that starts with a Q? Hmm. A Q bridge. Could there be a Q bridge?

There’s a hint here. I’ll give another hint. Look in Connecticut.

3 Likes

Quarter Mile Bridge, State of Victoria, Australia.

and

Qukës Bridge in Labrazhd, Albania

PS Couldn’t find the one in Connecticut

4 Likes

Q Bridge in Connecticut? (Pearl Harbor Memorial Bridge)image

4 Likes

Rainbow Bridge Niagara Falls

4 Likes

S

San Juanico Bridge, connecting two of the largest islands in the Philippines

5 Likes

Taylor–Southgate Bridge is a continuous truss bridge crossing the Ohio River

3 Likes

Uzbekistan-Afganistan Friendship Bridge

5 Likes

Victoria Bridge in Brisbane.

4 Likes

That’s it!! Before it was officially named, we referred to it as the Q Bridge. Because no one could pronounce the river it spanned.

There is also a K bridge in New York.

5 Likes

Walt Whitman Suspension Bridge over the Delaware River

3 Likes

X-tensinon Bridge? Just to keep things moving :thinking:

2 Likes

Xiangshan Harbor Bridge, China

The bridge, which was opened in 2012, is one of the largest cable-stayed bridges and one of the tallest in bridges in the world.

@littleKAF, what is the advantage of a tall bridge? :thinking:

3 Likes

I was thinking of this bridge. I think it’s also called the Stonecutters Bridge. That could be a different bridge though.

Advantage of a tall bridge? Well, this is a cable stayed bridge. The cables take the load in tension and the deck as like a big compression strut. Equal and opposite forces. The load then goes into the tower and down to the foundation.

Given the cable takes tension in both the vertical and horizontal dimension, it’s basically a trigonometry thing. If it’s flat, it will take the horizontal load well but not the vertical load. If it’s steep, it takes the vertical but not horizontal. So it’s a balance.

Stays are usually arrayed in one of two varieties. One is a harp where the stays are all parallel. The other is a fan where they have different angles at a single point or near single point. A lot of that comes down to aesthetics. Also, if they have y’all towers above the highest stay, aesthetics.

For the real tall ones (ie cable stayed bridges), it’s not uncommon to have a lightning grounding system on top.

6 Likes

Awwww… Soo much to learn that’s not E&P related - Thank you Kaffy

I digress. Y… :thinking:

2 Likes

Yokohama Baybridge

3 Likes

Zhixi Yangtze River Bridge

3 Likes

Thank you SO much for the lesson re bridges! My dad was an engineer & always wanted me to be one…you are a good teacher: I understood a lot of what you said and you made it interesting!!!

New topic?

6 Likes