Atomos – New Atlantis Hero: First Thoughts & Discussion

I shouldn’t of said beta and i thought that after i made the post. I don’t blame beta participants at all for that hot mess, this is a SG problem and whatever lead made the decision to let that card go to beta should be unemployed right now.

I’m not sure Hatter would actually be that strong of a counter against Atomos

1. To pull this off, Hatter should have full or almost full mana → Atomos does more damage
  2. It’s only one buff, distributed randomly on the team. The one who gets it might not even need it

Still, just the possibility of stealing it makes Atomos a tiny bit worse

Frida will be available on this Atlantis portal starting tomorrow

I’m glad to have pulled Aeron from my coins and not another slow green…

But he seems to be not to bad, if he’ll revive with his amount of mana.

Like many others, I’m not impressed, though there’s always a chance it’ll be different once we start encountering him. The slow mana doesn’t seem warranted by what appears to be the relative weakness of his actual special attack. Maybe if it also somehow affected my mana pool.

It’s too bad - I like his artwork, and Immortal Annihilator has to be a candidate for coolest sounding special. Funnily, I’d also put Quintus - who he’s already being lumped in with - and the Thunder Ultimatum up there (I also think Quintus has some of, maybe the best hero artwork).

2 Likes

Is There a Case For a 4/80 Atomos?

Safe to say he’s not exciting on his own

Atomos, as a defender, is clearly intended to be evaluated in light of the Atlantis family bonus. Because on his own, he’s basically a tile soak with a decent slash attack.

His base stats: 733 A 727 D 1336 H

Which is essentially the same as Gregorion, only at slow mana. He can survive 5.4 tiles from a 3-stack. And his attack–when it finally does happen–hits for an average of 200 to 400 damage (depending on enemy mana).

In other words, he’s about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

Designed to be part of the family

Everything changes when considered with the Atlantis family bonus. With a 4 hero bonus (think: Ariel/Poseidon/Atomos/Proteus), Atomos’ defense jumps to 836, vaulting him into the top spot in the defense table, just barely edging Santa.

And with a level 17 mana troop, this becomes a ridiculous 969 defense. This makes him a 7.7 tile kill for a 3-stack, and bumps him to average mana.

With a level 15 crit troop instead, he’s up to a ludicrous 1011 defense, or an 8.2 tile kill. Suffice it to say, his special is going to fire at least once before he dies.

Ok, he’s ungodly tanky. But so what?

In order to get Atomos into fighting trim, you basically have to sacrifice all team selection flexibility. There’s one red slot left open in the team, which probably fills with someone like GM. The Atlantis heroes are awesome. But not so awesome as to make me want Proteus over Hel.

That said, you could do a lot worse than GM-Ariel-Atomos-Poseidon-Proteus as a lineup.

As mentioned above, Atomos’ hit will average between 200 and 400 damage to each target (depending on mana). The only other thing his special is good for is ensuring that you can’t ghost the spot he occupies.

This puts him as a below-average tank in terms of what he does to improve the board state. If you’re fighting an Atomos defense, you’re going to be able to charge all your specials on all but the worst boards.

His damage is erased with literally any HOT or instant heal. His resurrection is dispellable. And he does nothing to help his teammates or hinder the enemy.

So…an Atomos defense might be quirky and fun, but I’m not saving up Mysterious Tonics to make it happen.

12 Likes

The right answer is what Hearthstone does (or something to that effect) - where you can dust your cards to make new ones. That provides value even for duplicates and junk and gives people a reason to consistently spend a little bit. I mean would you go into a restaurant and plop down $120 knowing you only had a 37% chance to get a meal you liked? (I made up the % but the idea is there). Would you go to a hardware store and spend on a “mystery tool” when all you really need is a power saw, not a 4th set of wrenches?

I think we’re long past the point of this game where we can pretend that f2p players can consistently keep pace with people who pay. F2p can still enjoy the game and the dev team definitely needs to build content that doesn’t neglect this very large chunk of the player base.

But the game is sacrificing long-term health by making veteran players hero spend all but worthless (i.e. you either get the shiny new 5 star toy or you get duplicate garbage). Even my c2p alt that has a $10-ish a month spend is in that near-zero-value trough where another duplicate 4 star or Horghall is simply an expensive feeder hero and is in a binary “did you get the hotm/atlantis 5 or not” stage.

But I’ve rambled off-topic; I’m certainly happy to discuss in another thread if anyone wants to.

Back to atmos, this version is different from what I remember from beta, but to be honest that’s so long ago, I don’t even remember him much. Sorry. I can barely remember the beta weekly raid stuff from last week…

15 Likes

I’m just totally baffled they made another NATURE hero with RESURRECTION. It should totally be a dark ability. In what world does “coming back from the dead” connect to “natural”

5 Likes

In fairness, recycling is VERY green :sunglasses:

23 Likes

I don’t mind the concept. The game needs Groots and Quintuses, too.

I still see them in plenty of lineups, even in top 100.

Someone will use him and do just fine doing so.

Such an out of nowhere hero lol.

Great all around stats save his speed, which leaves something to be desired. The damage his skill deals is meh but typical of skills that hit all enemies. For that it’s actually decent… but the mana condition to deal more damage is too specific and can be risky to pull off on offense and easy to play around with when facing him on defense. Great reward if the conditions are met, but can be high risk to set up as well.

The resurrection is unique and his saving grace imo. But when he comes back he’s gonna want someone to heal and buff him up. 32% HP revival isn’t bad, but he still wants the help. If it can be dispelled though, well it means too that it can be played around, though that requires more effort and specific heroes. But it also synergizes badly when it comes to reviving if he gets healed… so that revive thing is more of a last resort thing he gets. Still, it is essentially what ends up saving him from being tile kill bait, and having a plan B is kinda unique.

He gets a good hero class too. Safe to say that his HP would be a priority to increase so he revives with more HP.

I think he’s gonna see okay use tbh. His bad speed is overcompensated with his chance to revive, he’s in a good class, and he can deal a lot of damage with his skill if he’s ignored.

He is an absolute waste of a green hero (and a hero in general), something I predicted when I first saw his card. SG can keep that.

2 Likes

She will be here as well because February is a short month.

1 Like

I think he’s an interesting concept, but weak overall. He had the first real tank special in the game before we got the Queen of Hearts, but isn’t reliable in that role. Slow mana is always a drawback, especially since Atomos doesn’t have a particularly tanky statline. It’s also dangerous to play around a hero who’s purpose is to die and revive, since it has negative synergy with healers/defense buffers. His damage is underwhelming, but can ramp up nicely against high mana enemies. My biggest problem, however, is that his revive is a dispellable buff. With the prominence of dispellers in the 5* meta, Atomos is already countered by some of the best heroes in the game. If his revive couldn’t be dispelled, or if he had taunt like QoH then Atomos would be a viable hero. In his current state I don’t think he’s worth the tonics.

7 Likes

I’m really starting to think SG wants us all to try and collect the “families”. The only way Atomis might be decent is stacked with a full five buff. HOTM element links so we will want to try for them etc. Ensures money monthly.

You can steal the ressurection special with the Hatter???

Yep.

:tophat: :muscle:

1 Like

Really hope the dev’s do something about his ability, they may have already missed the boat on this hero. No real desire for anyone to get him and if they did it was probably by accident in trying to get Ariel. It is to late for this Atlantis summon but I propose they have Ariel/ Poseidon draw together in March and think of some kind of alteration making him worth drawing again in April. (AND NOT JUST BY PUTTING HIM WITH GRAVEMAKER). But getting back to the topic, his ability sucks, just when we were starting to come out with new exciting different abilities (especially in the last event). Not a high defence pylon that’s easily worked around. I wonder if I’d be this bummed if I didnt get him lol!!

Judging from the reaction, it seems that instead of making Atomos to be an Immortal Annihilator, the developer just make him Totally Annihilated

5 Likes

Hes not annihilating anything except for peoples gems.

3 Likes