Athena still of no use

Compare them:

According to their cards (which show final maxed stats), Athena is better in every way. HOWEVER, it’s usually easier to lvl a 4* card than a 5* which might be why folks are opting for Grimm over Athena…

I’ve included my own 3^ Athena for reference.

Yeah, as one of the detractors of the nerf 2.0, I can clarify at least my view on this. Grimm is superior to Athena because he’s easier to level. Obviously a maxed 5* is going to be better than a maxed 4* regardless of how you cut it. So the comparison in my mind then is a maxed Grimm vs a 3^ maxed Athena. In which case Grimm, being far easier to attain and having very comparable stats (significantly higher attack) becomes, what many consider to be a more efficient choice.

It’s simply not worth it to max an Athena. If I had the resources right now, I can honestly tell you that I wouldn’t do it. The effort/reward ratio is simply not there, there are already, and will eventually be more superior options.

Edit: I felt I should go beyond the stats and talk about the special for a more comprehensive explanation.

Athena is, as you’d expect with that attire, very high maintenance. Bad jokes aside though. Her special is -41% for four turns. Four turns is not a long time. Unless you have a blue-stacked board or the ability to use several potions, you’re going to be struggling to keep that on for the duration of the fight. Now even accounting for the 4% 6 times for an extra 24% defense reduction(provided you get a good board), it’s a handcuff equally as much as it is a benefit. I find myself having to gear my matches toward blue, ignoring weak points occasionally just to make sure I get it in.

For Grimm this is much less of an issue. Less defense reduction, sure, but absolutely zero maintenance. Two turns may not seem like a lot, but that’s a 33% increase in duration. The odds are pretty good that with an extra 2 turns, you’ll get that mana right back and hit it again, offering almost no interruption in your routine. You have to account for the downtime in athena’s special. Every turn you don’t have the debuff inflicted, you’re bleeding damage you should be doing.

The only caveat is fire. Athena wins on fire simply because of the hero of the month special thing. But to me, in my testing that’s actually the angel’s only angle.

4 Likes

Thanks for a good write up tempest. I agree the comparison between 3rd ascension 5s and maxed 4s is very important.

Looking at the numbers it looks like Athena is especially low in attack compared to Grimm. I play Grimm a lot and would be a bit disappointed if switching to Athena would actually lower my damage until I got her to last ascension.

I don’t think I agree with you about her special though. It probably comes down to playing style but I don’t really care that much about if the low defence spell is active for 4 turns or 6. Of course longer duration is better but if I had the option to have Grimm lower def with 41 (with potential of +24 more) instead of 34 with the tradeof that the ability would only last 4 rounds I would probably take the deal.

First that would be better against titans. The extra 24 adds up a lot and I can compensate for the shorter duration with potions.

In raids I tend to use Grimms special when I have or am close to having another special that can utilise the lowered defence. My experience is that in 3 or more turns the enemy has probably cleansed the special away or at least healed away the damage done anyway.

2 Likes

Great replies, thank you. I almost have Grimm to the all pervasive ascension wall so once there I will start to build Athena in the background. But it sounds like she will be on the sideline for quite a while if not for good. Too bad my first 5* is somewhat of a dud.

People in my alliance are killing Fire Titans with Athena. Whenever a fire titan comes along all the people with Athena do total destruction easily over 100K easily. During normal Titans she does normal damage. Not as OP as before but still great against a specific element.

1 Like

Absolutely true ^

When they say extra damage against fire, they mean extra damage against fire. I’m interested to see if they’ll keep up this trend in the monthly heroes. A full offensive team able to target the weakness of any color and do significantly more damage does sound like a terror.

2 Likes

Jaz9999, she also lowers defence more than other heroes which can be used for high damage. This combined with that her special stack with other heroes lowering of defence makes it possible to do double damage compared to what you’d get with any other setup regardless of the element of the titan.

2 Likes

It is so true. Athene simply gives you a chance to shine and show your mastery whenever board is good or bad. Skilled players will get more from her then from Grimn.

1 Like

I finally maxed Athena this week she is the difference maker with 65% defense max she is your ultimate titan killer.
when the boards are good 50k hits without using resources are normal.
last titan red 8 star 5 hits 225k others heros on that titan bold,Wu,Sonya, Thoth all maxed

This thread was from 7 months ago :slight_smile:

Think everyone has realized that yes indeed Athena is good haha.

1 Like

I need Athena in my teem :frowning: … and Ares … tired of waiting when they will be available again

3 Likes

better late then never

1 Like

The thread has established its point. Gonna close it. :wink: