Ariel – New Atlantis Hero: First Thoughts & Discussion

Really good hero. Blue needed a 5* healer and a cleanser. Even though Rumple can do that, he’s not reliable. Ariel has both, AND with average mana too so all that makes her insane. For my favourite 3+2 setup she can fith both as part of the offensive 3 against Grave tanks or as the defensive 2. Her being the same family as Triton is a nice bonus too. Good synergy, really good tile damage with these two.

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve seen this @Kerridoc, extremely helpful so I wanted to add this incase anyone hasnt seen it, to back this statement up, thanks to whoever made this

6 Likes

Thanks, this is a great chart.

So to get multiple tiles trimmed off heroes while under Ariel’s buff, you will need:

• V Fast: L5 mana troop → 5 tiles
  • Fast: L17 mana troop → 6 tiles
  • Average: Any mana troop → 8 tiles
  • Average (Druids, Monks, Sorcerers): L29 mana troop & class mana bonus → 7 times
  • Slow: L17 mana troop → 9 tiles
  • V Slow: L17 mana troop → 10 tiles
8 Likes

Does she stack with Alberich? That would be an interesting combo especially with some mana troops involved…

Alice is better than magni, its not even that close TBH…

2 Likes

Yes. Alberich is a +mana effect - that is, his buff actually adds mana into the hero’s pool. Ariel is a +mana_gen buff, which multiplies all the mana coming in by 1.24. So not only do these two effects stack but they stack synergistically – Ariel’s buff makes Alberich’s buff 24% more effective.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the better I like this pairing. Ariel does an insta-heal + cleanse; Alberich does a heal-over-time and resurrect; both juice up mana. Look for this combo on war defenses, particularly with the arrows.

7 Likes

She’s a 5 star healer with average speed… lol yeah Ariel’s gonna be found in a lot of defensive teams for sure. The 24% mana regen is a bonus.

I don’t think she’ll fully replace Vivica (that high defense buff is still something no one else does as well as her) but she will be more desirable just because of the speed. If anything I’d put both of them on the same team, on offense that would help greatly on most - if not all - player vs enemy content.

3 Likes

I’m impatient and he’s ready already. I’m curious as to what people will think of Ariel and Alice in a couple months. Both will work at 3/70.
The availability of 5* healers is small though. So, it’s nice that two more came out around the same time.

She’s just not Disney princess Ariel artwork. She’s a fish. Not every hero needs to be eye candy.

I’ll have to say, her looks grew on me the moment i pulled her.

4 Likes

I’m fine with the actual design, it’s just the artwork itself that is very shoddy. I hope they update it, I mean they are a half-billion dollar company after all. The artwork should be top notch not something a typical grade schooler could throw together in an hour.

1 Like

I like to think I’m a little better at line design than a toddler and I’m happy to try sketching Ariel. It would be a very shoddy comparison to the art in game.

Personally, I love the hair. Wild child Ariel, looks like my hair when I roll out of the bed in the morning.

Although I do want to know how many golden fish were sacrificed for the sake of that dress.

6 Likes

I was lucky enough to get 2 Ariel … a summon of 30 plus 5 coins … she will be from my defense team … I have Alberich … I read above that they work well together … any tips ?. …appreciate

4 Likes

Yaaay. My 30x pull had her included. My first 5* Atlantis hero, and it was the OP one. I am even fine not pulling Frida yet, although I try some more at the Fables.

Too bad I already have Kunchen nearly his final ascension and plan to work him as a tank… but I already have some wicked plan to flank him with Ariel and Magni.

Now finish Grimm, finish Triton, get Frida and my blue plans for this year are done.

1 Like

1 free pull and I got her. I quit pulling after that.

1 Like

Yep, announce your retirement after that.

1 Like

So I am surprised that no one has brought her up as to her synergy with Misandra. Does anyone better at the maths than I am, know what her boost means with this pairing? Regardless of numbers I am excited to try out my new team on a titan. Ariel - Frida - Athena - Magni - Misandra, hoping i can finally damage the red titans.

3 Likes

Great question. There has been some discussion on my alliance chat about whether the 24% mana-gem boost of Lancelot/Khagan/Danzaburo/Ariel applies only to mana gained from tiles, or whether mana gained by specials (e.g. Misandra, Alberich, Onatel) is also boosted. That’s a good research project.

6 Likes

Alby%20%26%20Ariel%20Mana

I can confirm that Ariel’s Mana Boost works with Alberich’s Mana Regeneration. Here’s an image of two points during the same farming battle (so no change in troops) in which the top image shows the amount of mana Alberich gained from four turns of his mana-regeneration without Ariel’s mana boost in effect with no green tiles being used. Bottom half, flipped for easier comparison shows the mana gained by Alberich after four turns of his mana-regeneration in which Ariel’s mana boost was in effect for all four turns and similarly no green tiles used. As can be seen Alby has slightly more mana in the bottom one.

Edit: Also worthy to note I tested Ariel’s mana boost with item use as well. With partially leveled mana troop on the test hero I was able to fully charge the hero from zero mana using one Mana Potion and one Minor Mana Potion whilst Ariel’s boost was in effect but when the boost was not in effect it required an additional Minor Mana Potion.

12 Likes

How does the mana gain aspect of Ariel’s special effect mana gain for defense teams? It must be of benefit when heroes with this buff active are hit with tiles, but I’m unclear on whether or not it benefits the standard defense team mana gain per turn (which is supposedly equivalent to 1 tile per turn?). This is basically the same special as Khagan’s (for mana gain part) and Danzaburo’s “second” special (for mana gain part), so it should work the same for Ariel as it does for these two heroes’ specials.

I’m a little confused about her mana gen as well. I may of misunderstood, but I thought that all heroes would gain xx% mana each turn, regardless of tile hits? But it seems like it only boosts by xx amount for the tiles used.

Also, the above chart doesn’t take into account a potential Sakura family bonus. On a team of, say, Mitsuko, Kageburado, Inari, Ariel, and say Danzaburo, there are 4 Sakura heroes, so each Sakura hero would get an extra 7% mana boost. Mitsuko is also a sorceror class hero, so Mitsuko could have an additional 4% mana boost at class level 20. Unfortunately, going from 10 to 6 tiles seems to be impossible for even Mitsuko with this team and Danzaburo’s 2nd special or Ariel’s special active, since you would need at least a 66% mana gain to use 6 tiles to charge up Mitsuko, and the best you can do is 50% (with a level 28 or higher mana troop). But, on defense, 50% could be huge.

Realistically, where mana gain makes the most difference on offense is the first tile eliminated for average speed heroes, since that will, on average, reduce the time to charge from 4 to 3 turns on offense and can be accomplished without needing any specials active. So, you might charge up an average speed hero in as many turns as it takes to charge up a fast hero. For defense, mana gain is not well understood, but I believe any reduction in tiles that would be needed to charge up a hero on offense is directly relevant for defense, if that makes sense.