Are season 1 heroes under-powered? No longer relevant? Can they compete in global top 20?

I wouldn’t want to be responsible for your unemployment, so I will do my best to be as unfunny as possible from this point forward. Here is my first contribution:

What Is Vertical Integration?

Vertical integration is a strategy that allows a company to streamline its operations by taking direct ownership of various stages of its production process rather than relying on external contractors or suppliers.

A company may achieve vertical integration by acquiring or establishing its own suppliers, manufacturers, distributors, or retail locations rather than outsourcing them.

Vertical integration has potential disadvantages, including the significant initial capital investment required.

Understanding Vertical Integration

Netflix, Inc. is a prime example of vertical integration. The company started as a DVD rental business before moving into online streaming of films and movies licensed from major studios.

Then, Netflix executives realized they could improve their margins by producing some of their own original content like the hit shows Grace & Frankie and Stranger Things. It also produced some bombs, like 2016’s The Get Down, which reportedly cost the company $120 million.

Today, Netflix uses its distribution model to promote its original content alongside programming licensed from studios.

This also illustrates the potential perils of vertical integration. A successful original series can bring in new subscribers and keep current ones loyal. An original bomb is far more costly for Netflix than a licensed studio bomb.

Owning the Supply Chain

A typical company’s supply chain or sales process begins with the purchase of raw materials from a supplier and ends with the sale of the final product to the customer.

Vertical integration requires a company to take control of two or more of the steps involved in the creation and sale of a product or service. The company must buy or recreate a part of the production, distribution, or retail sales process that was previously outsourced.

Companies can vertically integrate by purchasing their suppliers to reduce manufacturing costs. They can invest in the retail end of the process by opening websites and physical stores. They can invest in warehouses and fleets of vans to control the distribution process.

All of these steps involve a substantial investment of money to set up facilities and hire additional talent and management. Vertical integration also ends up increasing the size and complexity of the company’s operations.

Types of Vertical Integration

There are a number of ways that a company can achieve vertical integration. Two of the most common are backward and forward integration.

Backward Integration

A company that chooses backward integration moves the ownership control of its products to a point earlier in the supply chain or the production process.

Amazon.com, Inc. started as an online retailer of books that it purchased from established publishers. It still does that, but it also has become a publisher. The company eventually branched out into thousands of branded products. Then it introduced its own private label, Amazon Basics, to sell many of them directly to consumers.

Forward Integration

A company that decides on forward intergration expands by gaining control of the distribution process and sale of its finished products.

A clothing manufacturer can sell its finished products to a middleman, who then sells them in smaller batches to individual retailers. Or, the manufacturer can open its own stores. The company will bring in more money per product, assuming it can operate its retail arm efficiently.

Although vertical integration can reduce costs and create a more efficient supply chain, the capital expenditures involved can be significant.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Vertical Integration

Vertical integration can help a company reduce costs and improve efficiency. But the company’s efforts can backfire.

Advantages

• Lower transportation costs and turnaround times
  • Reduced disruptions and quality problems from suppliers
  • Lower costs through economies of scale
  • Improved profitability

Disadvantages

• A company may underestimate the difficulty and cost of the overall process
  • Outsourcing to a company with superior expertise may be a better choice
  • The initial costs are significant
  • Increased debt may be needed for capital expenditures

Real-World Examples of Vertical Integration

The fossil fuel industry is a case study in vertical integration. British Petroleum, ExxonMobil, and Shell all have exploration divisions that seek new sources of oil and subsidiaries that are devoted to extracting and refining it. Their transportation divisions transport the finished product. Their retail divisions operate the gas stations that deliver their product.

The merger of Live Nation and Ticketmaster in 2010 created a vertically integrated entertainment company that manages and represents artists, produces shows, and sells event tickets. The combined entity manages and owns concert venues, while also selling tickets to the events at those venues.

This is an example of forward integration from the perspective of Ticketmaster, and backward integration from the perspective of Live Nation.

When Is an Acquisition Considered Vertical Integration?

An acquisition is an example of vertical integration if it results in the company’s direct control over a key piece of its production or distribution process that had previously been outsourced.

A company’s acquisition of a supplier is known as backward integration. Its acquisition of a distributor or retailer is called forward integration. In the latter case, the company is often buying a customer, whether it was a wholesaler or a retailer.

Is Vertical Integration Good for a Company?

A company that is considering vertical integration needs to consider which is better for the business in the long run.

If a company makes clothing that has buttons, it can buy the buttons or make them. Making them eliminates the markup charged by the button-maker. It may give the company greater flexibility to change button styles or colors. It may eliminate the frustrations that come with dealing with a supplier.

Then again, the company would have to set up or buy a whole separate manufacturing process for buttons, buy the raw materials that go into making and attaching buttons, hire people to make the buttons, and hire a management team to manage the button division.

A company must carefully evaluate the costs and complexities of vertical integration before making this buy or make decision.

How Is Vertical Integration Different from Horizontal Integration?

Horizontal integration involves the acquisition of a competitor or a related business. A company may do this to eliminate a rival, improve or diversify its core business, expand into new markets, and increase its overall sales.

Vertical integration involves the acquisition of a key component of the supply chain that the company has previously contracted for. It may reduce the company’s costs and give it greater control of its products. Ultimately, it can increase the company’s profits.

1 Like

Oh, come on, don’t be like that… Let us have some fun while working… We’ll giggle quietly so we don’t have to tell our bosses it’s your fault. Okay?

4 Likes

Am I to believe you aren’t interested in learning more about vertical integration?

1 Like

Not really, I didn’t read your wall of text.
Where are the jokes? Sarcasm? Irony? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

Last year, when I was still playing only with S1 4* teams on offense, I made it into top 100 global 4 times without trying too much. It’s possible that was due to the early effect of aethers though.

This year I made it into top 1000 legendary challenge event with a team consisting of S1 heroes + Wilbur with relatively few replays, so I guess it’s not impossible, it just takes time to accumulate the necessary heroes and a bit of luck to get particularly Wilbur who has no F2P alternative.

Moreover I remember the famous Di, who is completely F2P, making it into top 100 Legendary at a certain challenge event and even being inteviewed by mr Jekylandhyde in one of his YouTube videos on thar particular achievement.

So I’d say that top 1000 legendary challenge events and top 100 global in raids are possible for the f2p. And if that f2p plays for, say, 3 or 4 years, it’s very likely they complete the requirements to join a top 100 alliance.

The very tricky and frustrating part of the game for the f2p is the early development, especially the first few months, with emphasize on insuficiency of 3* ascension unfarmable mats, of quality 4* heroes to ascend and of emblems/limit break materials to make those heroes viable. Then again, as an old RPG player I’d say that is true for any non-online RPG game - there is always a very long grinding stage in similar games. And that stage requires a lot of patience to overcome.

1 Like

Your loss.

There. :point_down:

I mean you can’t tell me this isn’t pure comedy gold.

1 Like

Not really.

I tried to translate it from English to many different languages and then back to English and it still wasn’t funny. Even Comic Sans didn’t help. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I did not say f2p can not do this, I did, and so did you. I said if you only have S1 heroes and a few HotM, then you can not do it. Wilbur is not S1 and no HotM….

But agreed on the rest…

Happy gaming

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that a mobile game company employ its players to come up with game ideas, so they get players to pay while using them for beta testing and idea generation and… wait a minute…

3 Likes

I would say that this somewhat ties into a S1 relevance discussion as ftp could be the group most reliant on S1 heroes. There are maybe a handful of top 100 alliances that would take a true ftp player (“maybe” because I don’t know all of their recruiting requirements).

I see these as the biggest roadblocks for a true ftp to join a “typical” top 100 alliance:

Troops - multiple high level troops, a longshot to have these.

CoK/MT - requires resources or specific rosters to satisfy meeting minimum requirements.

Rosters - can require specific heroes, emblem counts, sheer numbers.

A couple years ago, I could see an avid ftp working their way into a top 100. Not so much anymore.

1 Like

Not sure what is meant by a co-op meme. Can you explain please :slight_smile:

It stands for cooperative :v:

Nah, her getting sacked would help her alliance so we would be doing good.

Less time working= more time grinding for mats = higher titan scores = better chance to get 4*mats =able to ascend more heroes =more war wins for the alliance and better loot overall

It’s a small price to pay @kwong79 gotta put the needs of the alliance first :thinking: :upside_down_face: :innocent: :rofl:

1 Like

Hey @JekylandHyde will this S1 relevancy get an update video after pulling the new costumes?

1 Like

Just received news that Doug Smith’s remains were taken Back To The Future through an expensive moving portal and he’ll be back after his augmentation to a Universal Soldier. He won’t need his old scuba suit, police uniform, or fire suit to take care of those pesky smugglers!

1 Like

… except poor Doug will still not be as powerful as his brother David, because David will get augmented to Mutliversal soldier with even more powerful weapons and armor!

1 Like

Typically a top alliance wants you to have at least 30+ maxed 5* heroes and rainbow mana troops lvl.23+.

When I entered 7DU the requirements were lvl17 rainbow mana troops and 20+ maxed 5* plus 20+ maxed 4*.

I am playing one month less than 2.5 years, 32 maxed 5* , 23/11/5 rainbow mana troops except in yellow there it is 20/11/5 working on going to lvl23.

We finished MT in place 53, and our alliance ranking is fluctuating between ranks 50 and 150 dependent on the time a titan respawns.

Happy gaming

2 Likes

:joy: I’m suggesting nothing of the sort.

I’m just paying homage to Doug Smith, who - little known fact - was a huge vertical integration aficionado.

When he wasn’t fighting crime without his gun and police uniform, scuba diving without suit and oxygen tanks, or speedboating without speedboat, he spent hours vertically integrating stuff.

@Sorvina’s dismissive attitude towards vertical integration is a betrayal of our beloved Doug’s ideals.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you were in the same alliance. Then by all means, let’s get @kwong79 fired. :joy:

What a beautiful display of solidarity between alliance mates, I’m proud to be a part of this. It’s bringing tears to my eyes.

3 Likes

No not same alliance. Just thinking of the bigger picture :wink:

2 Likes