Are Guin and BK still worth pulling for?

I got Guinevere a year ago together with Evelyn, but due to lack of darts had to pause her for a while. Now she is on +4 and she does what she is supposed to do nicely. OK, Seshat is giving her a hard time, but together with Grazul on the team, I changed my raid style completely: Mana control and constant healing, take one opponent out after the other.- it’s not a sprint, it’s all about endurance… And that makes Guinevere still worth pulling for.

2 Likes

If any good tank casts, you should get into big trouble, no matter if it’ll weaken your health or mana bars.

Neith could have been the one doing both, but too little.

Support only tanks are less effective since the talent meta, cause the attacker can sink tiles into them to develop the big one and slashes aren’t harmful enough for heavy emblemed legends.

3 Likes

I appreciate well thought replies and this was one.

I haven’t had the pleasure to join 7DD so I will base all my arguments on my experience with the Guardians family of alliances. :grinning:

I think there are four main criteria for the making of a great tank:

1. Punishing bad boards (The better boards you need to succeed against them, the stronger the tank is.)
  2. Being sturdy enough (Self explanatory)
  3. Reducing roster choices (Making specific heroes or a specific element unusable)
  4. Forcing roster choices (requiring certain heroes or skills to be part of the team against it).

When it comes to war, there should be a fifth criteria:

1. Being widely available. The fewer members feature it, the less relevant the tank becomes.

In this context, (since I don’t have BK I won’t theorize about it), I’d rank Guin, Ursena, Kunchen, based on each criteria like this:

1. Ursena - Guin - Kunchen. I find Ursena’s high damage output (on +50% health) more punishing than Guin’s annoying mana drop.

2. Kunchen - Guin - Ursena. This comes with a huge caveat though because it’s based on strong color stacks. Most people stack the strong color against Kunchen and Guin but a lot of people don’t do so against Ursena which makes Ursena stronger than what her stats imply.

3. Ursena - Guin - Kunchen. As hinted above, many people avoid using holy heroes against Ursena due to her reflecting special and her higher damage against them. Guin is very close though as people avoid using holy stacks against her as inefficient while purple stacks are still efficient against both Ursena and Kunchen.

4. Ursena + Guin - Kunchen. I’d call this a tie between Ursena and Guin. They both require dispellers when stacking strong colors against them, otherwise Ursena requires a healer while Guin requires mana shield heroes.

5. It’s debatable but I’d give this to Ursena who is available from Atlantis every month, compared to once in four months for Guin.

We might be splitting hairs here, but overall, IMO, Ursena is a better option at tank.

On a personal note, I still use Guin, flanked by Ursena but only because I think it’s better than the other way around, and more importantly, because I’m afraid, once Guin leaves my Defense team, I won’t have any use for her other than alliance war.

That said, thank you again for a well thought reply.

7 Likes

One thing you’re missing here, imo, is the nature of wars vs. raids in general.

A botched attack on Ursena usually still gets you a dead Ursena at least. Much easier to clean up.

A botched attack on Guin can quite possibly get you 0 points.

This is also a reason why Aegir is a much better tank for wars than he is for raids. If someone tries to kamakaze a weak team into Aegir, they’re going to get a lot of 0s.

4 Likes

bucket

You’ll see plenty of the world’s top defenses sporting a Guin, a BK, or both!

3 Likes

Getting a black knight would blow my … off! Def a hero you want! Wouldn’t say no to a Guin!

1 Like

Ive had Guin since day one and I have her soft-capped at 17. She was my first 5* to max.

However, she dropped off my attack teams months ago. Lost her tanking spot to Boss Wolf and recently fell off my defense team completely. She is still great, she just isn’t the only option any more…by a long shot.

BK is also great. Id love to have him, but I wont be pulling this time around.

a. Costumes will be back up and I really want Lianna and Isarnia’s costumes.
b. March HOTM is probably the best ever.
c. Rummers have it that S3 will drop very soon.

With all of that, I have to save my gems. I will probably skip costumes this month as well and only use my keys.

I’ve heard that about the one of February too a few month ago.

11 Likes

It’s a recurring theme, isn’t it?

1 Like

True, they could still change her like they did JF, but I believe he was changed way sooner. Only 29 days in this month so if they change March HOTM, it will be kinda last minute. However, I think it would have been done way sooner than now as they have made recent changes to S3 heroes who don’t have a release date yet.

They’ve already nerfed Telluria from her original form.

I really want to pull for her next month… but I’m in love with almost all the Avalon heroes…

If I were to snag LoTL… can anyone comment on how she measures up to the current build of March’s HOTM, Telluria?

I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t particularly find Lady of the Lake to be as good for two reasons… She’s slow. So on defense, the chance of her casting her special comes down to the fight dragging out. If she gets going, her minions can be a real nuisance and can almost cripple your offence if RNG is on her side. And that’s the second reason I don’t particularly like her. Her minions target random enemies and that could work out against her depending on who gets tageted.

2 Likes

LoL isn’t a defender, she is a lockdown offensive player. She regularly shuts down any challenge or quest she can join in on. Even with emblems, I wouldn’t put her on defense, but I can farm anywhere without items thanks to her and Onatel. Just shut down the final level before it even begins. Even with a blue board, I can get it done long enough to keep from ever seeing a special go off.

Guin is on my soft raid defense and I rarely go below diamond, so that is something. She won’t get emblems, so there is that…

3 Likes

If i’m understanding this thread, are folks saying Guin is not very good when used offensively? If your alliance isn’t running yellow tanks, does she sit on the bench? I would think she could be very good offensively too.

If the answer is that she’s really only good as a tank in wars and raids, then I’m less inclined to pull this event. Trying to farm just BK is way too low of odds to bother.

1 Like

I say yes. She is good to have as a yellow tank. Her, BK, and LoTL are the top 3 Avalon heroes to pull for imo.

I take her AW’ing frequently with BW. Usually the 5th or 6th line, but they have definitely come through against some 4k teams.

Thanks for pointing that out. Last I checked it was the same.

She seems more reasonable now, but still top notch.

2 Likes

I would love to be able to pull BK this time, even though I’m sitting comfortably on at least five unique 5* red mons. The only Avalon mon I’ve pulled so far was Merlin, so here’s hoping RNG is on my side this go-around! :smile:

A question for you @Aquaginera_7DD and all the experts : if you were to have both BK and Guin, how would you put them in your defense team?

Would it be better to have Guin as tank and BK as flank, or the opposit?

I can see advantages to both, but can’t figure out the best combination.

I would run Guin Tank and BK flank (personally).

Let Guin soak up the tiles allowing BK to charge in peace… Then when the enemy finally have their specials charged, BK will be ready to go.

4 Likes