April 2022 Balance Update - Discussion

The nature of gacha RPGs with an energy gate is that once you progress past a certain level in the game, your returns are guaranteed to drastically diminish. This becomes doubly true when PvP is asynchronous and turn-based (= minimal skill involved).

The power level of an F2P account is guaranteed to plateau at some point unless the owner remains ridiculously lucky with free pulls. At some point as a hardcore F2P/C2P you’re going to start running into whale opponents 24/7, and you’ll have little to no hope against them.

As you’ve written: “if you don’t have premium heroes you’re out.” That’s correct. At this point you either start to pay or simply accept that you’ve reached the F2P endgame.

I empathize with your frustration because I’ve been there myself. But this is literally how these games work. It’s less “shameless greed” and more of a structural feature. If you think E&P is particularly unfair in this regard, go try other similar games… things will be the same.

The drastically diminishing returns feature also applies to whales. Whales also start to “suffer” in the sense that once they complete a “full roster” (in E&P this would mean either 6 or 12 teams of satisfactory strength, depending on how much you care about 3KW), chasing any new hero starts to feel like a very stupid thing to do because literally any other hero from the summon is now utterly worthless.

Thus they must also make a choice between continuing to spend massive amounts of money for miniscule gains, or to let go a bit and accept that greater spenders will now pass them by. At this point, many tend to start frothing at the mouth about power creep becoming untenable (while conveniently ignoring that things have always been like this from the beginning, and that they have been power creep’s chief beneficiaries).

All this is to say that having reasonable expectations will make you a happier gamer. If SGG were capable of designing an RPG system in which all players’ returns would never diminish regardless of their spend level, they would probably have received a Nobel Peace Prize and also have become bigger than Tencent.

4 Likes

I’ve used to think like that too but it doesn’t make any sense for the reason above.

One thing I can’t agree is I can see a reason to don’t spend. It feels dumb since they’re spamming heroes every week and the odds are trash. Id love to suport developers but they’ve chosen a sick path to follow that I refuse to support. Plus most players are unhappy.

Sad part is nothing matters they only care about money which isn’t wrong but they could have done better.

1 Like

I would agree to some extent. But, if we are talking about raid attacks (not the defenses nor war depth), I’d say you only need a few key heroes and you’ll have a good chance of winning. The main key hero I find is having a taunt hero, who is a lightning rod for attacks so even if he dies, your other 4 heroes can carry the day, unless you really have an unlucky board. With the May HoTM being a taunt hero, that may give FTP some help to compete. It’s not going to give whales much help because they’ve already got other taunt heroes.

But then that leads to your next point.

You only need 5 heroes to form a raid team (again, only talking about attacks, not defenses), so there are only so many optimal combinations you can use. Some of the new heroes are powerful, but they may not necessarily add much more than the existing rosters. For example, if one has Xnolphod, is Diaochan going to be replacing him? Even though she’s a pretty good healer? Maybe, but does that add much to the raid team? Probably not.

Generally, I can deal with most defenses and get to 2800 or so cups, but I don’t have the roster to form a defense that can hold me there because that’s a whole different issue.

Won’t be happy till it curses -100% mana and steals it. Come on SGG, that’s nothing hard for you.

1 Like

Odds are trash, but they have to be for a lot of reasons. Flooding the game with legendaries makes them less special and would water down the game.

I also hear people complain about summons after doing a ten pull. That’s a literal roll of the dice, just hoping for the best. You cannot expect legendaries just doing coin pulls here and there. It happens, but the only way to increase your odds of a legendary is to pull near the drop rate, 100 pulls. I say this from personal experience. I have pulled in literally every portal in the last 7 months. Only 3 portals did I do 100+ pulls and got nothing. BUT when the portals came back around, did another minimum 100 pulls in each of those 3 and boom, got laced up with a few legendaries I really wanted. Magic portal I’d the only one I’m doing bad in. 250 pulls only got cristobal. Every single other portal I’ve either received or beaten the odds.

If your sample size is low, it will not be representative of the displayed statistics. Cheers, I hope all your summons are great. It’s extremely deflating to feel like you cant keep up or make progress, I get it.

4 Likes
  • Adjustment to the “recover health” Magic Passive (Anton, Motega, Nadezhda)
  • OLD: Recover 30% health for all allies
  • NEW: Recover 15% health for all allies

this won’t give back to my opponents all the flags spent to take down my Anton war defense, kek.
They looks a bit more balanced now.

2 Likes

These should have been dropped down by maybe 30% not over 50%, bit over the top. Milena mana boost and health gain would both have been fine at 20%.

1 Like

Super lame of this game to keep doing this. Glad I didn’t lvl up Anton. Buff with one hand, nerf with the other. Buff when selling, nerf them after they are sold and are trying to sell new stuff. Knock it off. Too many balance updates so we can’t enjoy our heroes and have game stability. Gonna stop spending till I see them stop micro managing the game.

8 Likes

Yet again absolutely shocking by SG they simply are a bunch of clowns. A buff completely OP in the first place and a week later a Nerf. Stupidity springs to mind yet again!!! Wouldn’t be surprised if the Devs are actually polititions in disguise

3 Likes

Precisely the reason why all balance changes should be beta tested smh whatever

7 Likes

Yeah… these so called “Balancing changes” are getting old…

3 Likes

To me the problem isn’t the “too many” balance patches but said balance patches targets.
They overbuffed them 'cause they doesn’t know any better, now they tweak them down… while keeping other heroes useless.

2 Likes

It’s been over a month since ToM ended. This buff came last week.

The v47 Magic Hero buffs actually passed through beta

PSA: There are plenty of ways to criticize SGG without literally making stuff up

1 Like

Clearly Beta testers aren’t doing their jobs then

1 Like

why nerfing both charges?
first charge nerf is more than enough, second charge need to be the same as before

and feedback got ignored, but this didn’t go to the beta when it should

1 Like

Yeah and I think that’s a problem. But saying it wasn’t beta tested is false.

Yea I was being sarcastic lol. They were in beta but the feedback about them being too strong was completely ignored and released as is to the game, without even trying to make tweaks to it.

Just people saying these changes should be beta tested do not seem to realize how beta tests turn out :rofl:

5 Likes

Never understood why they respond to some feedback almost right away (making changes in that very ongoing cycle) but completely ignore others. It doesn’t even seem to correlate with how much the point of feedback is linked to revenue. Maybe it’s a bandwidth thing, but frustrating to see.

I didn’t like a few things lately, but I accepted them so far more or less. But this?! This is completely ridiculous! Like bunch of kids doing whatever they please without any consequences at all. Incompetent kids to be more precise. Any player of this game with a bit of experience could’ve said those magic hero passives are way too OP. I did a video about it 5 (!) days ago. 5 days! And now 5 days later the stuff bringing their “data” again? While - and what is more - they have a beta program. … I got away with not LB-ing cKrampus. Now? Just Limit Broke Motega & Cristóbal. SG, I honestly believe you don’t have lots of shots left.

9 Likes

This is so unproffesional, only 3 days past since these updates and they feel how they feel, not guilty. Probably their smart metrics again

5 Likes