|Preparation Phase Begins||Battle Phase Begins||Rewards Distributed|
This Week’s Restrictions & Special Rule
Hero Rarities Allowed
Troop Rarities Allowed
Special Rule: Rush Attack
All Special Skills are set to Very Fast!
Share & Discuss Your Teams, Thoughts, and Questions!
Some topics to start off with:
Do this week’s restrictions on hero/troop rarity and elements make your bench depth better or worse suited to this Raid Tournament than Regular Raids?
Are there heroes you’re likely to use for this Tournament that you normally don’t make use of anymore?
Are there heroes you plan to power level for this Tournament, or level before the next time a Tournament like this one rolls around?
What are you thinking about using for your Defense Team?
Are there heroes you expect to see on Enemy Defenses that you think you’ll have a harder time dealing with than usual because of the restrictions or special rule in this Tournament?
Which of your heroes will you be likely to use on your Attack Teams?
Will the restrictions or special rule of this Tournament change your usual approach to color stacking or team building?
Are there elements of this week’s Tournament that are unclear to you?
Overview of Weekly Raid Tournaments
Click for the Overall Process for the Tournament
Click for How Attacking Works
Other than restrictions on heroes/troops and Special Rules, the Raids themselves in Weekly Raid Tournaments work the same way as regular Raids.
Each day, you’ll be able to attack up to 5 teams.
The flags used for Raid Tournaments are separate from regular Raid flags.
NOTE: Kills in Raid Tournaments count toward your Wanted: Heroes Raid Chest, so Raid Tournaments also effectively give you extra flags to potentially help fill your chest.
One notable difference to Regular Raids — you can’t reroll.
For the whole of the Tournament, you have 4 “Lives.” Each time you lose a Raid, you lose one life.
The lives do not reset across days of the Tournament. Once you’d lost 4 times at any point during the Tournament, you are out.
If you choose, you can pay some gems to reset your lives after 4 losses — but your score and ranking would still be lowered because of the losses. Paying to reset your lives does NOT give you an advantage from the Raids you’ve already fought. It simply allows you to continue using your normal 5 flags per day and not be “out” of the Tournament.
There is no way to buy additional flags. So everyone ultimately had the same number of maximum flags to use for attacks during the Tournament. The only thing gems allow you to do is continue playing if you’ve used up all of your lives.
@NPNKY explained this well:
CAVEAT: How this worked in beta changed SEVERAL times during testing. It’s very possible we’ll see how all of this works evolve over time, much like Alliance Wars have changed many times since initial release.
This is an area of the Raid Tournaments that’s obviously had significant problems, and continual revision.
The developers are continuing to work to refine and improve how matchmaking works, so we don’t know exactly what to expect yet.
As of the Third Raid Tournament, initial matchmaking was based on your Top 5 strongest heroes that qualified for the Tournament’s rarity and elemental restrictions:
The developers have also set up a Raid Tournament Change Log, which has been updated with the changes for the Fourth Raid Tournament:
- Improvements to matchmaking to more evenly distribute attacks among all players.
- The difficulty of the opponents reduced slightly in the beginning of tournaments.
- The difficulty of the teams that the player’s defense team faces is based on the defense team instead of the five best heroes in their roster.
- Fixed a bug where last week’s leaderboard showed wrong values when a new tournament had started.
Some thoughts on Raid Tournaments...once matchmaking works properly
Once matchmaking is working correctly, Raid Tournaments should offer some interesting shifts vs. normal Raids, because everyone is playing under the same restrictions — if the week’s Tournament only allows 3* heroes, it’s not like you’re taking your 3* team up against someone’s 4* team.
Players with deeper benches meeting the requirements will obviously benefit, but just having a pile of maxed 5* or the best HOTM won’t do anything for you in a tournament that doesn’t allow 5* heroes.
In the long run, that should make Tournaments interesting — but we’ll need to see if the changes to matchmaking have resolved the problems from the first two Raid Tournaments.
Click for details on Scoring
NOTE: Hat tip to @DracoLovesRi for pointing out that there haven’t seemed to be “extra points” for a victorious attack:
New as of the Second Raid Tournament:
Defense Team Grade
Click for How Defense Team Grade Works
I found this was actually very clear and useful — and I think provides some insights into regular Raid Defense Teams too.
The grades are assigned based on a percentage of wins by your Defense Team:
The Defense Grade is determined based on the win percentage of your Defense Team. At the end of each Battle Day, you receive points based on your grade.
My Personal Take on This:
The top grade in this approach was awarded to a Defense Team that won 60% of the time. To me, that’s a good confirmation of what many of us have long accepted: Raids are unfair, but not for the reasons you think — that is, they heavily favor the attacker, and even a top-notch Defense Team will lose much of the time.
Each Week can have restrictions on:
Hero and troop rarity — e.g. only allowing 3* heroes and 2* troops or below
Elements — e.g. no red/fire heroes allowed
Click for details on Special Rules
Each week has ONE Special Rule in effect.
(At least in beta; it’s possible live Tournaments may sometimes have multiple Special Rules at once. If that ever happens, I would be surprised if we see that before core elements like matchmaking are working properly, so I anticipate a single Special Rule for the foreseeable future.)
The possible Special Rules are:
Whichever Special Rule is in effect for a given Tournament remains in effect for the entirety of that Tournament.
The Special Rule affects both Defense and Offense teams.
Rush Attack makes all hero specials of any speed Very Fast — it doesn’t require Very Fast heroes, it turns all heroes into Very Fast heroes. Heroes that are normally Slow or Average can become quite powerful in this setting.
Bloody Battle makes any healing effects do nothing. It doesn’t prohibit healers, it just prevents the healing portion of their special skill from having any effect.
Buff Booster adds a stackable 20% attack buff to each hero for each active buff on that hero. Using heroes with special skills that grant buffs or multiple buffs can lead to very high attack boosts. These buffs stack with each other and normal attack buffs.
As of the Second Raid Tournament, loot was temporarily reduced:
Loot will presumably remain reduced for the third Raid Tournament, but we’ll see when Registration opens if that’s still the case.
For discussion/feedback about the reduced loot, please see this thread: Reduced Raid Tournament Loot During Work on Matchmaking [Developer Response in Post 334]
Click for Archive of First Tournament's Loot, before reduction
Acronyms in this table:
- AM: Ascension Materials
- EHT: Epic Hero Token
- ETT: Epic Troop Token
Any of the tiers starting at top 75% have a chance for ascension mats.
Here’s the current breakdown for ascension mats, tokens, and Emblems (for simplicity, I didn’t include the Flasks, Atlantis Coins, Battle Items, and Crafting Materials that are in loot in addition to these):
|Tier||AM Chance||EHT/ETT Chance||Emblems Chance|
|75-100%||0||0||1 Draw: 100% x1|
|50-75%||1 Draw: 5% 3*||1 Draw: 5% EHT, 15% ETT||1 Draw: 20% x3, 30% x2, 50% x1|
|25-50%||1 Draw: 18% 3*, 2% 4*||1 Draw: 15% EHT, 25% ETT||1 Draw: 40% x5, 60% x3|
|10-25%||1 Draw: 22% 3*, 3% 4*||2 Draws: 20% EHT, 40% ETT||1 Draw: 40% x5, 35% x10, 25% x20|
|5-10%||2 Draws: 45% 3*, 5% 4*||2 Draws: 25% EHT, 45% ETT||1 Draw: 10% x50, 20% x30, 30% x20, 40% x10|
|1-5%||2 Draws: 95% 3*, 5% 4*||2 Draws: 40% EHT, 60% ETT||1 Draw: 5% x100, 30% x50, 30% x30, 35% x20|
|Top 1%||2 Draws: 90% 3*, 10% 4*||3 Draws: 50% EHT, 50% ETT||1 Draw: 25% x100, 50% x35, 30% x40|
Feedback on Raid Tournaments
For feedback on Matchmaking: thread coming when Tournament starts
For feedback on the temporarily reduced loot: Reduced Raid Tournament Loot During Work on Matchmaking [Developer Response in Post 334]
Please see these threads for existing bug reports before creating a new report
Click for Existing Bug Reports
- 🏅 [Fourth Raid Tournament] Discussion and Feedback on the Updated Raid Tournament Matchmaking
- 🏅 [Fourth Raid Tournament] Attack Tracking – How is Your Defense Doing?
- 🏅 [Fourth Raid Tournament] Final Results & Rewards – Share Yours & Discuss!
- Reduced Raid Tournament Loot During Work on Matchmaking [Developer Response in Post 334]
Click for Older Threads
- SGG Official Documentation: What Are Raid Tournaments?
- Has it been confirmed whether or not some of the Raid tournaments will only feature 1* and 2* heroes?
Third Raid Tournament
- 🏅 [Third Raid Tournament] Discussion and Feedback on the Updated Raid Tournament Matchmaking & Difficulty Bonus
🏅 [Third Raid Tournament] Attack Tracking – How is Your Defense Doing?
🏅 [Third Raid Tournament] Final Results & Rewards – Share Yours & Discuss!
Second Raid Tournament
- 🏅 [Apr 9, 2019] 2nd Raid Tournament! — 3* Buff Booster, All Elements
- 🏅 [Second Raid Tournament] Discussion and Feedback on the Updated Raid Tournament Matchmaking & Difficulty Bonus
- New Raid Tournament any correlation between team power and the difficulty bonus?
- [Second Raid Tournament] Tournament Attack Tracking-How is Your Defense Doing?
- Reduced Raid Tournament Loot During Work on Matchmaking [Developer Response in Post 334]
First Raid Tournament
- 🏅 [Mar 23, 2019] 1st Raid Tournament! — 4* Rush Attack, All Elements
- 🏅 Weekly Raid Tournaments – Post-Launch Feedback – Unfair Matches [dev response on post 476] and Scoring? Appropriate Difficulty? Loot Tiers? See thread for more topics
- Theorycrafting the Raid Tournament
- Will there be compensation? (For Raid Tournament Matchmaking Problems)
- [KNOWN ISSUE] Raid Tournament Defense Grade Low Due to Not Being Attacked
- 1302 post screen shot if this is your current score for the First Weekly Raid Tournament
- Version 20 Official Release Notes: Version 20 Release Notes
- Discussion of Version 20 Release Notes: :riubased - W changes aasas
Older Threads from Before Raid Tournaments Launched
- Answers to some questions before first Raid Tournament: Raid Tournament - Understanding the Rules and Requirements
- Recommendations and discussions about leveling priorities for Raid Tournaments: Raid Tournament Preview – Planning Leveling Priorities & Strategy in Anticipation of Release
- (Old) Discussion about possible ideas before Raid Tournaments started beta development: Weekly Challenge Raids - Ideas for Devs (Pre-Release)