Any thoughts on better organization for Forum Categories & Pinned Posts?

I haven’t found the tags feature to be super useful in its current state.

I tag all of my thread series, but I doubt people use them to navigate much, and I personally never use them to navigate.

I also see some pretty random tags on posts a lot of people create.

2 Likes

For tags to be useful they need structure. Otherwise they’re just like hashtags on twitter. OOH what’s trending now?

1 Like

Ahhh yes, the critical, must read important forum announcements of our time:

I get to new topics by either forum searching if it’s a specific topic OR if I’m just browsing I click on the category I want to browse (general discussion, bugs, user created etc)

That’s a really good point. Makes a lotta sense. And I’m sorry if I’m just making trouble for the sake of it. Sometimes I do that way :frowning:

I appreciate you splitting this off and giving the discussion a go.

For the record: I do 100% see the value in having these new hero threads pinned. Saves people having to search. They’re threads worthy of being promoted. Saves time merging threads.

Obviously I wish this could function somewhat differently. But I know that isn’t always practical or possible.

I like this solution.

But the million dollar question: is it necessary and does it overall benefit the users of the forum?

Even tho I posed this complaint I don’t feel qualified to answer that at all.

I don’t know what a Tag is LOL

Dang it I’m such a noob :))

Totes agree. This is a tricky thing to balance.

THATS THE WORST !!! I have been there my friend. :frowning:

This happens all the time. Even when I use forum bookmarks.

I was searching for a post including a photo about @Checker 's training camps but searching any thing about training camps, or photos, is a disaster.

Maybe a category “Searching for post” that people could say "I remember this one post. need help finding "

Might catch on and cut down on duplicate topics.

1 Like

I generally surf the forums from the Categories page. Never even checked the Latest or New pages until today :rofl:. Categories shows Latest posts anyway. I will usually go from thread to thread via the suggestions at the bottom of each thread, or via notofications in my avatar pulldown menu. I just meander aimlessly unless I’m looking for something specific, then I use search (e.g. info on a specific hero or best farming for filling elemental chest).

I have bookmarked the odd thread/post, some by accident it seems.

Yes.This. So many of my posts contain “I read somewhere here that … can’t find it now”

1 Like

Another feature I’d like to see is the ability to filter certain categories from the “Latest” list (eg Alliance Recruitment)

You actually can do that if you add them to your Muted Categories.

It’s under Preferences > Categories > Muted.

2 Likes

Aah, thanks. Could not figure that out on my own. Had to break down and ask directions (there goes my manliness :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

1 Like

Pinned

Tags

Found a use for tags

If you tag fun posts with forum_fun

Then

You can add, or exclude, them from a search

Example

Search Tag

tags:forum_fun @Dudeious.Maximus dragon

(Search results for 'tags:forum_fun @Dudeious.Maximus dragon order:latest' - Empires & Puzzles Community Forum)

Exclude tag

-tags:forum_fun @Dudeious.Maximus dragon

(Search results for '-tags:forum_fun @Dudeious.Maximus dragon order:latest' - Empires & Puzzles Community Forum)

Notes

#StalkingErWatchingTheModerators #ForumGamesAreSpammy #GaveUpAndJoinedDiscourse.OrgForumToPostInSuggestionSubForum

(About the feature category - feature - Discourse Meta)

FIN

Testing, 1 2 3

( teasing )

Eek

The test subjects talk!

( end teasing )

FIN

1 Like