Having worked in library/ storage/ records since I was a teenager, I firmly believe there is no single good solution to the problem of a forum dedicated to a multiple year, MMO with IAP.
I tried to use tags initially, but there are problems
- Tags are non intuitive on the mobile version of the forum ( I love the mobile version, but smartphones are not 20 inch monitors)
- Popular tags become difficult to search ( edit: nope. just hidden in advanced search )
- Tags are not uniform (multiple spelling and wording)
- Tags are limited to 5 per topic ( most successful forum use of tags have unlimited tags and forum regulars can assign tags to other users’ posts. see not uniform above. )
Like many forum features I really like tags.
But like coding a game versus playing a game, writing tags is more work, and less fun, than using them.
More sub forums do mean more hours for staff to monitor the forums. This is a non trivial consideration.
More sub forums do make the end user experience more effective for Elder forum users ( separate from Elder GAME users ).
But it makes it more challenging for new forum users.
Reference ( read only, important links, important archived copies, etc. ) would be helpful but more work for mods. Probably have to increase the number of mods ( which is always a headache).
Single most useful category. Also the single most dependent on the quality, and quantity, of mods and staff. This is not a coincidence.
This could include a “Server status” post that could be unlisted after 14 days.
Base would be helpful for all players, at all price points. Especially After Stronghold 21 made everything weird, complicated and more min/ max gameplay instead of open world gameplay.
Limited time would be helpful for limited time posts ( Challenge events, Atlantis Rising, Seasonal events, etc. )
HotM would be insanely helpful because of SGG business model
F2P would balance HotM and should be very strongly considered.
Summons would be helpful because of SGG business model.
You can see how this can quick suck as a post about Hero Academy could fall under Reference, base, summons, HotM, F2P
Leveling is not as helpful as you think due to inherent design mechanisms, but insanely popular.
Ascension items is not as helpful as you think due to inherent design mechanisms, but insanely popular.
Emblems is not as helpful as you think due to inherent design mechanisms, but insanely popular.
Raid would be helpful since it has its own chest and heavy use of HotM.
Rant is tempting, but doing anything to a rant topic invites more rage and anger.
No good way to deal with rant posts because people ranting are already upset.
Do not add
- Do not add. Titan less helpful because so much titan info is obscured. Do not add.
- Do not add. War less helpful because tight coordination needed but needs of coordination often conflict with needs of game studio. Really war was an excellent idea with two fundamental flaws - communicate and logistics.
- Do not add. Tourney suffers from all the problems of a Titan category. Do not add.
maybe combine into "Alliance activities " since only Alliances can participate if titan battles and war.
Given paywalls, and merciless RNG, this is INSANELY popular.
It is really just a blog
I would call it “Mod corner” and only allow mods, and staff, to create topics.
We love you @zephyr1 . You are officially not allowed to die. Please contact HR for you spirit jar kit.