Annual knockout competition (World Cup)

The top 131,072 (2^17) players qualify for this event.

Matches are seeded in a knockout bracket.

In the first round of 17 rounds:

Rank 1 in current Raid rankings would vs Rank 131,072

Rank 2 would vs Rank 131,071

etc etc

Best of 3 matches in earlier rounds of tournament.

When we get to the last 1,024 (2^10) players (the 8th round), the format becomes best of 5 matches to remove luck. Players can reconfigure defence or attack team after each match.

Winner gets to meet @Petri and create a new 5* hero
eg. a hero with their name and that looks like them.

Spectator mode for the Quarter-finals and onwards?

My only reply to this “Hell Yes bring it on”

2 Likes

When is this happening? I need to do more raiding now

1 Like

Haha cheers it’s just an idea but I hope it kicks off. If people or Small Giant like it enough it may fly.

No votes yet at the moment so…

If you like the idea, please vote!

As we don’t have an real pvp in the game, i don’t think this is possible. Maybe something like the month event but without new chances for the players.

1 Like

It doesn’t need to be a live pvp though.

It could be an expanded version of the existing raid system with a true tournament feel that offers:

a) a great prize at the end; and

b) an opportunity to prove who REALLY is the best consistent raider.

I’m thinking each team takes a turn to raid the other until someone wins 2 raids. Good defence stops the other team from scoring.

When you get to the later stages of the tournament you need 4 wins against your opponent to progress.

It’s an interesting idea. However, I will put an option there. It would be necessary to limit the power of the fighting teams so that everyone is his chance. For example a team could only have a maximum power of 3700. After each one chose the heroes to put in 5 stars, 4 stars or 3 stars. or limit heros 5 stars, 4 stars ie 1 hero 5 max and 3 heros 4 max. And give 3 flags each and the best stratge wins.

1 Like

Just like in the real World Cup all the teams have to field a university student and an elementary student at all times, right?

Oh, you mean those teams are actually all professionals?

Just like real life, you can’t call it a World Cup or have any sort of bragging rights if you limit what the team would be…

1 Like

The most easy way for that is make an Alliance tournament using War interface.
For individual matches i don’t see a good way that don’t change game mechanics a lot. But if it will be made they should give everyone all heros maxed to be chosen for the tournament. That’s the only way to have a fair match.

1 Like

Good idea, @Bane. Let me run with it a bit…

You set up the tournament using the same basic war interface, but with one player on each side. Each has, say, 5 flags. Same rules as war, but no Enemy Aid. Each complete wipe of the foe resets the foe. Whoever has the higher score after the 5 flags are used, wins and goes on to the next round of the competition. The loser is done.

2 Likes

Question1;
How to be rank 1 vs rank 131k
Its is like Zero vs me lol
Then he will win all 3.
So it should be rewards to top 100 players with out all of this story?isn’t?
Question2:
HOW if I - no way - won this, may ever be able to meet @Petri … I am from middle East … you think I will travel to attend to this meeting costing me $$$ when I am F2P cause I can’t buy gems even for VIP!

Need some logic, as not all the players from Europ or USA

I’m assuming that the prize includes round-trip airfare to Helsinki, three nights accommodations and meals, and meetings with the SG staff. If we’re dreaming, let’s dream big!

The original idea was to mirror how all knockout competitions are done. Look at, say, the US Open Tennis tournament. There are seven rounds, plus qualifying rounds for players who didn’t get an exemption. The brackets are cleverly designed so that the quarterfinals could have players #1-#8 competing against each other (1 against 8, 2 against 7, etc.), that the semis could have players #1-#4, and the finals could have player 1 vs 2. If you are not a top-seeded player, then you’re going to have to defeat a series of better-rated players, and it’s likely that your hardest match will be your first (and, likely, last). This system is not “fair” in the sense that everyone has an equal chance to win. It’s “fair” in the sense that all the good players don’t end up on one side of the bracket, allowing a mediocre player to get to the finals. That’s not good competition, and it’s even worse for TV revenues.

So, yes, you would probably lose to Zero in “straight sets” (to borrow a tennis term).

2 Likes

actually it’s a good point. So as for the events a 3 * World Cup, a 4 * World Cup and a 5 * World Cup. and the player can only choose one World Cup. This can be another idea.

2 Likes

Haha @Jedon, I live probably double the distance away from Helsinki.

And yes @Kerridoc is correct, the draw is engineered in such a way that the best teams or raiders have the best chances of winning and meeting at later stages of the competition. That doesn’t mean there can’t be upsets though.

Although I agree that if you only have a 3* team (and perhaps 4* team) you probably can’t win. So there is definitely merit in separate 3* / 4* / 5* World Cups as suggested by @fishermanstrong or giving everyone maxed heroes as suggested by @Bane

However I think that there should be an individual element to this - I could be wrong but I don’t think Small Giant wants to give everyone a chance to use all available maxed 5* heroes for the tourney as it removes the novelty or yearning to get them.

From a commercial point of view Small Giant perhaps will want to keep their best players (and presumably those who are loyal to the game and pay more) happy. So if there is a World Cup, I don’t mind at all if it isn’t “fair” or balanced - teams don’t necessarily need to be limited as @Dante2377 said.

I’m okay with losing as long as I give it my best — at the end of the day I just want to see the best players in action!

1 Like

This seems like a clever way to get them in one room and let’s say effecting real change in our once great game