I post this as someone who decided to stop playing the game as it currently is due to frustration with the existing system.
My proposal addresses these frustrations.
First: The issues / frustrations:
The current game design is to try boost income for the developers. (I’m perfectly ok with that, as long as it is not to the detriment of game enjoyment.)
As things stand, they need to make very high level heroes and items hard to get in order to encourage you to spend more to improve your chances to get them. They also drive you to ever more difficult encounters as you improve your heroes to encourage you to get even better heroes… which will require you to spend to improve your chances of doing so.
This all leads to the game stagnating unless you are willing to spend considerable money. You find yourself unable to build much variety into a top level set of teams because of the scarcity of 4* and 5* heroes, and struggle to max your heroes due to scarcity of ascension items. You also don’t get to experiment or play with different builds to see what works best for different situations, because you lack the depth in decent heroes to do so.
This results in those prepare to spend grabbing all the worthy items and loot in events, etc, and the rest left to languish… i.e.) the “rich get richer”.
In short, it’s a system designed to benefit the game maker, and not the player. Good short term strategy, but ultimately self-defeating as you lose many potential long term players like me (who are willing to spend if they think they are getting value)
And now my proposal to end all that WHILE RETAINING A GOOD INCOME STREAM
Introduce a ladder system with leagues.
The concept is simple.
- You start in the lowest league and play for a season (say 1 calendar month).
- You start each season with no heroes and no items, but will carry over some rewards depending on your league and your placing within it at season end. The rewards (gems, say) can be used to boot-strap your team to make faster progress in the next season.
- The development of your Castle and plots carries over season to season (so more experienced players will benefit from the boosts these building give)
- The top 10% (say) in a league at season end are promoted to the next league up. The bottom 10% (say) are demoted to the league below (unless it’s already the bottom league).
- Inactive players in the bottom league (with say more than 30 days not played) are inactivated - i.e. you will not face them in raids.
- Placing in the ladder is determined by a combination of:
- Progress in the Adventure mode (and how rapidly completed for the higher level players)
- Cups earned from Raids
- Points contributed in Titan Encounters.
- Publish a leaderboard of placings and leagues to allow bragging rights for the best players.
- Visually differentiate avatars and hero appearance based on league.
- Provide Ego rewards for league winners - these rewards cannot be earned any other way. (Medals, say, with Avatar mods).
- Provide prizes in the form of items and gems depending on placement in the league. People being promoted get a bonus as a kick-starter in their next league.
And now the clincher:
This comes with greatly enhanced chances to win the top heroes in draws, and to get ascension items for good / challenging events (for your level) in game play. (Necessary to ensure that players have a chance to max their heroes before the end of a season if they play well and efficiently). Higher leagues will have better chances of getting higher quality heroes and ascension items. Also allow chance to improve gem earning rate during game play to increase the draw rate. Allow items specific to higher leagues that will guarantee 4* and/or 5* draws.
Also allow very substantial and guaranteed powerups / chances to get top heroes for those spending money - i.e. guaranteed return for your spend.
How does this help?
Improves longevity of the game. You will get different heroes on each season, and would need to balance your team differently in each season depending on the heroes you get. You get to experience different heroes and builds.
You eliminate the frustration of vary rarely getting worthwhile heroes and items unless you spend.
You still encourage game spend for those who want to accelerate their journey - and there will always be this type of player.
Any player spending real money will get real return for that money, so will not feel it’s wasted.
Because of the reset each season, you will not have the case where someone will just remain top / unbeatable forever due to the money they spend. If you want to remain top / unbeatable, you will be required to continue to spend in the next season.
Best of both worlds. More casual players can still get a lot out of the game and a taste of a good mix of high quality heroes without being forced to spend… but obviously would be unlikely to make the top league (unless they are very devoted to the game).
This does not compromise the income stream for the game developers. The players benefit from more interesting gameplay, and the developers get their just rewards for designing an interesting and compelling game.
By introducing different heroes and / or maybe different character classes over time with this system, you could essentially stretch longevity to indefinite.
Certainly the introduction of this concept would entice me back to the game (along with Raid mechanic changes - but that’s a different thread )
Please support / bump if you like this idea. Or comment (with reasons) if you don’t.